Easter egg - auxilary heater?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
North American MKV Jettas DO NOT COME WITH AN AUX HEATER.

End of Line.
They certainly do if the engine is a TDI. Mine has the 100 amp fuse and the thick wire going into the heater and I have some heat within 2 blocks of driving off. Next time I mess with my VagCom I'll look for the controller and measuring block.

The confusion is that the Aux Heater controller that you see in VagCom is not the controller the installed Aux heater uses. That controller is for something that doesn't come on our cars.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
They certainly do if the engine is a TDI. Mine has the 100 amp fuse and the thick wire going into the heater and I have some heat within 2 blocks of driving off. Next time I mess with my VagCom I'll look for the controller and measuring block.

The confusion is that the Aux Heater controller that you see in VagCom is not the controller the installed Aux heater uses. That controller is for something that doesn't come on our cars.
Your Statement is true.
BUT, and a Big BUT, it is not NOT the full blown, Up North European Aux Heater. It is the cheazy WARM UP the car heater.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Your Statement is true.
BUT, and a Big BUT, it is not NOT the full blown, Up North European Aux Heater. It is the cheazy WARM UP the car heater.
If you're referring to the Webasto or other brand of fuel-fired heater, you're right. You won't be driving in 15F weather in shorts and a tee shirt.

BUT, it does make the warm period a little less uncomfortable and it certainly does exist.

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
WOW ! what a trip that must have been. FL TO AK ! Nice !!! :cool:
Drove Miami to Seattle by myself in 6 days. It was wonderful. Barged it to Anchorage from Seattle. :D

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI

That explains why the measuring blocks are blank. From memory, any idea where the supplemental heater measuring blocks are located?

srptdi

TDI
2005.5 jetta black
It think you have to have climatronic to have the auxillary heater it works great even when its 7 degrees out

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
It think you have to have climatronic to have the auxillary heater it works great even when its 7 degrees out
My car has the climatic and does have the aux heater.

The coldest it's been here is in the teens and the heating effect does seem to help with warm up. I start to get heat within a couple of blocks after driving off. This is with the heat control set to the detent that is strait up (72 degrees).

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
That explains why the measuring blocks are blank. From memory, any idea where the supplemental heater measuring blocks are located?
I know it is one of the other controllers. I found this out by activating the controller labeled Aux Heater and getting a fault code.

Ewe at RossTech, in his proper European demeaner, wondered why I turned on a feature my car doesn't have. :rolleyes:

If I have time tomorrow, I will plug in my cable and look for the controller/measuring block that the N/A cars do have.

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I know it is one of the other controllers. I found this out by activating the controller labeled Aux Heater and getting a fault code.

Ewe at RossTech, in his proper European demeaner, wondered why I turned on a feature my car doesn't have. :rolleyes:

If I have time tomorrow, I will plug in my cable and look for the controller/measuring block that the N/A cars do have.
I would appreciate that.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I would appreciate that.
This has been a learning experience for me....................

Added for clarity: There are 2 controllers label Aux Heater. The controller labeled "18 Aux Heater" is the controller I activated by mistake and got the fault code because what it controls is not installed on N/A cars.

Anyway, if you go to the installed controllers tab in VCDS, the last controller, on that tab, which is called "7D Aux heater" is the controller you want for measuring. Measuring block 1 has info on the Z-35 element which is the element installed in the N/A TDI's.

I tested this with VCDS and found Z-35 to be drawing about 635 watts till the coolant temp turned off the controller. I will have to wait for the car to cool down to figure out what else the other measuring blocks tell me.

Below is lifted from an old post. If you do a search for "Aux heater" in only the A5 threads, there is a ton of info in the older threads.

For output info: 7D Aux. Heater -> Measuring blocks
For enabling bit: 09 Cent. Elec. -> Coding -> Long Coding -> Byte 4 Bit 0 or 1 (I believe 0 is for Webasto, 1 is for PTC, but do not quote me on that).

There is one more misleading info: there are bits in CECM that suggest that they need to be enabled in order to make some device work while in fact they do not have to. I have to double check but my Aux Heating bit was cleared and I still have instant heat. Same with e.g. memory seats (byte 4 bit 3): I was told by Sebastian (Ross-Tech) that this bit is completely ignored.

Last edited:

mrgt

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It seems like there are some different opinions on the 2006 or 2009 NA Jetta and whether or not it has Aux heat. It would be good to know once and for all which models do or don't have it. I am going to check my car and report back. I have the 2006 Jetta Highline climatic control from Canada. If people want to partake to collect data might be helpful for others.

Car Year:
Model:
Climactic or Climatronic:
Country of Origin:

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
It seems like there are some different opinions on the 2006 or 2009 NA Jetta and whether or not it has Aux heat. It would be good to know one way and for all which models do or don't have it. I am going to check my car and report back. I have the 2006 Jetta Highline climatic control from Canada. If people want to partake to collect data might be helpful for others.

Car Year:
Model:
Climactic or Climatronic:
Country of Origin:
My 2006 and 2009 USA Jettas had the aux. heater.

ANIMAL

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta PKG 2 Silver 5 spd
I have the 06.5 with pkg 2 and the manual says turn the temp switch all the way to the right you should have a red dot there, the fan can be any where but off and the control that makes the air come out where you want it to eg the floor the dash ect hast to be in the defrost position for the heater to work. This is an electric heater to help clear the windshield because it takes so long for our cars to get any heat in the system.