early NB hood latch different from late NB hood latch?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I have a 1998 New Beetle and the hood has never closed all the way. I took the latch from my dad's 2001 and tried it and that didn't work, either.

One mechanic told me the only thing he can think of is that the latches between the years may be different--the hook on the bottom of the hoods are differently shaped and look different lengths.

Does anyone know or have experience with this issue? Is my 1998 hood latch unique? Do I order it based off a VIN number? Or is there a unique part number I need to search for?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
well I have found out that 1998-1999 has part number 1C0823509AE and 2000+ is 1C1823531F.

Unfortunately, I have the correct part number on my car but the hood still isn't closing. Can someone please post a picture of the loop under the hood that goes inside the latch (from a '98)? I'm wondering if the previous owner somehow mashed the hoop and it isn't hanging low enough. It looks pretty darn unlikely to mash that loop. Does anyone know how likely or easy it is to mess that hoop up (looks like the welds would give before the hoop smashes one way or another)?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Looks like you could adjust the latch a little. There are 3 torx screws on the inside towards the engine. Maybe loosen the 3 screws a little and move the latch mechanism up a hair. I think you would be able to see if the loop was bent or not. I've got a 2000 I just purchased and you have to really SLAM the hood to get it to latch.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I adjusted it as much as it would go and then even pulled the latch and slotted the holes for extra adjustment. But it's still not enough :|

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Frustrating to say the least. Not sure what's going on with your hood and. Latch. Was the car ever in a front end accident?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
well the previous owner told me his previous owner hit her own parked car years ago. And then...I was push starting it last night and hit down a darn ditch and totaled the bumper and intercooler.

So my latch may get resolved in about a thousand dollars :(

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
well the previous owner told me his previous owner hit her own parked car years ago. And then...I was push starting it last night and hit down a darn ditch and totaled the bumper and intercooler.

So my latch may get resolved in about a thousand dollars :(

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.