EA288 confirmed across the board by year end

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Wonder what VW did to the Jetta TDI for 2015 to warrant the 46 mpg highway figure? They also got 10 more hp, up to 150.

With this change and addition of some much needed cameras to see at least rear corners of the car have me thinking I should trade up. Do they also have cameras to allow seeing where the front corners are too?

Ralph
the car only has a back up Camera the safety package which is 1690 is sensors ,Front Collision warning System,Blind spot Monitorwith rear traffic alert,and the HIDs,Led running lights,upgraded display

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Wouldn't a chain hold up longer?

Not in a Volkswagen engine, LOL.... :p

This is an old topic, but for a really long lasting engine, with minimal fuss, VAG's toothed belt systems work pretty good.

We are always seeing the VAG gas engines with chain problems here. And they are so expensive to repair, people usually just junk the car, or sell it cheap to someone like me. :eek:

lsnover

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan, 2010 JSW
What makes the chains more expensive than the belts? The belt replacements aren't exactly cheap.

These engines are in the field now. I've been waiting to hear if they solved the high pressure fuel pump issues. Also was hoping the Tiguan would get the new TDI engine, but that seems to have been pushed off to the 2016 model year.

I'm having the belt on my 08 Passat done this week. Not cheap!

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Well if the belt lasts longer than 100k miles that is a huge improvement. If they say lifetime I would go 150-200k before replacing it?

lsnover

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think any of the OEM belts are rated to go more than 100K. That's what I just turned on my Passat, and I'm pushing it a bit.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
They advertise the ea288 belt as never needs replacement though. So it def goes a lot longer than 100k

lsnover

Veteran Member
TDI
They advertise the ea288 belt as never needs replacement though. So it def goes a lot longer than 100k
Where did you see that? There is no way that the belt will last indefinitely. It simply defies the laws of physics. Marketing is another story. :)

lsnover

Veteran Member
TDI
It does have a service interval. Believe I've read around 180K miles. I guess it actually sits in the oil, so that may lengthen the life of the belt. Unless they are going to warrant the engine that long, I'm not going to believe it. LOL.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It does have a service interval. Believe I've read around 180K miles. I guess it actually sits in the oil, so that may lengthen the life of the belt. Unless they are going to warrant the engine that long, I'm not going to believe it. LOL.
I haven't seen this anywhere. Do you recall where you read it?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I believe the oil pump drive belt is a wet belt, but the cam/pump timing belt itself was dry I thought.

Mind you, there are wet belt applications in cars today, Ford's 1.0 EcoBoost is one. A wet belt is going to be about as bad as a timing chain to change, because of the labor required to get at that system and deal with the oil in it.

lsnover

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't seen this anywhere. Do you recall where you read it?

This was posted by GRADY in another thread:

Here is some info about Drive Belts in an Oil Bath.

Both Dayco and Gates have these systems available.

Looking carefully at the EA-288 Engine Family PDF reveals the timing belt is a Belt-In-Oil system. There isn’t any smooth surface on the timing belt end of the crank shaft for the crankcase shaft seal to be located between the drive gears for the oil pump and the timing belt. The sealing surface for the shaft seal is outboard of the timing belt drive gear.

The Gates belt and tensioner have been certified for 300,000km, about 180,000 miles.
http://www.gates.com/~/media/Files/G..._Tensioner.pdf

http://www.gates.com/~/media/Files/G...ystem_Tech.pdf

Patent for a Pulley tensioner for an oil wet belt drive:
https://www.google.com/patents/US8292765

Info about VW and Dayco’s partnership with Timing Belts In an Oil Bath:
http://link.springer.com/article/10....no-access=true

http://www.daycoaftermarket.com/down...uly2013_en.pdf

http://www.atzonline.com/Article/123...ump-Drive.html

Dayco Oil Bath timing Belt:
http://www.daycoaftermarket.com/down...o_ivrea_EN.pdf

Dayco Belt-In-Oil System:
http://www.dayco.com/belt-in-oil-system

Anbody have any info as to who manufactures the EA-288 timing and oil pump drive belts?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Why do folks get so worked up about timing belt replacements? It's routine maintenance, something most people will only do once in a car's life, and, although not inexpensive, costs less than many other potential repairs. New dampers and supporting hardware can cost more than a belt replacement, as will most turbo failures. Cam and lifters on a PD cost more than the belt, in parts and labor, as do injectors. Although it's an expense we'd all prefer to not have, it's hardly something that would drive a car buying decision, at least not for me.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Why do folks get so worked up about timing belt replacements? It's routine maintenance, something most people will only do once in a car's life, and, although not inexpensive, costs less than many other potential repairs. New dampers and supporting hardware can cost more than a belt replacement, as will most turbo failures. Cam and lifters on a PD cost more than the belt, in parts and labor, as do injectors. Although it's an expense we'd all prefer to not have, it's hardly something that would drive a car buying decision, at least not for me.
I'd rather pay for a planned belt replacement than face a trashed motor from being fooled into thinking that a timing chain (and in particular ANY VW chain) was a lifetime component.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Indigo where are you getting once in a cars lifetime when our cars are good for 4-500k miles? I'm on my third belt and car runs like a raped ape.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I go 100k every 3 yrs so belt replacement means a lot. I pay 450 labor and 300 parts on my ALH. I'm sure it will cost a lot more on an EA288. Good thing about it is I can go 180k between belt swaps.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Few people, even here, keep their cars for more than 200K miles. And by 300K miles a lot of these cars need a cam and lifters or a cylinder head refresh, so the belt is coming off for that anyway. I just don't think it's a big deal.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I don't think I'm the few. My head has never been removed nor touched up. 100k miles is nothing in these cars. That's what it takes to break them in.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I replaced my cam and lifters without replacing or refreshing the head at 280k it was as easy as a belt swap.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The other thing is, in many VWs with chains, they put the chains on the transmission side because they had engine length issues to worry about. This means that the transmission has to come out to do chains, and that adds a LOT to the cost of a chain job.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Few people, even here, keep their cars for more than 200K miles. And by 300K miles a lot of these cars need a cam and lifters or a cylinder head refresh, so the belt is coming off for that anyway. I just don't think it's a big deal.
I agree. No big deal. Buy a new car or maintain the one you have. The latter is a less expensive choice.

My Toyota 4x4 (gasser) has over 230k on the original engine (with a couple of new timing chains, chain guides). Remarkably, nothing else internal (one fuel pump, alternator, etc). I did not put the first 200k on it, but I intend to put the next 200k on it. I'll need to do the top end, and at least hone the cylinders and set some new rings in there, replace rear seal, and who knows.. but not bad for a lowly gasser.

Newer TDIs have other parts that are at risk. Aside from a timing belt, the block will probably be more durable than new fuel and emissions systems.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Diesel VW's regardless of the year run 500k miles easy with simple maintenacnce. Cams last 300k miles heads and valves last 500k. Most importantly is high quality full synthetic oil is used and changed at proper intervals. 10k is pushing it, I change mine at 8k.