Dynoed my R32 TDI Swap Today

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Drove to Las Vegas, NV today and met up with vwmikel for some time on a local AWD Mustang dyno.

The dyne operator told us that the last R32 that came in for a dyne put down 160HP until he disconnected the drive shaft, which brought the car up into the 200s (car was stock). Hearing this, I was very certain that my dyno was going to be sub-200 AWHP.

246 AWHP 343 AWTQ

I was pretty surprised by the result. Mike and I discussed this and we feel that the lack in torque is from the Haldex AWD system. I was surprised at how high these numbers were, but Mike says this is a pretty accurate dyno (its also an eddy current dyno, unlike a Dyno Jet, so it should be pretty accurate).

We also tested with and without an air filter to see if it made any difference. We were unable to detect a difference.

Here's a video from the dyno session.

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
That is much power! congrats! I only dynoed 196awhp with my current setup, dont remember torque. There is realy much transmission loss, for sure!

May I ask what kind of boost you run?

//Theo

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
completely awesome there. I hope I can soon be in the over 200AWHP tdi club. That thing must be fun to drive congratulations, on a very nice swap!

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
did you disconnect the axle?? i am asking because when i did comparisons between AWD and FWD with axle disconnect it was 23% loss for me in AWD...

If you dyno'd AWD then WOW>>>>
246.... 303HP at the crank
343.... 422TQ at the crank

Very Nice...

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
.:GTD, .:R32, DangerRanger
did you disconnect the axle?? i am asking because when i did comparisons between AWD and FWD with axle disconnect it was 23% loss for me in AWD...

Very Nice...
what kind of AWD system?

"physically" disconnecting anything on the Haldex system wont make any substantial difference due to the output shaft from the gearbox always spinning...typically people will simply either unplug the haldex controller in the rear, or pull the fuse that powers the haldex system...

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI
Forgive me, but what engine is that and what turbo are you running? Sounded like it surged a bit for a moment at the beginning of the power run...

Very impressive numbers, the car is probably a blast to drive.

Brendan

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Forgive me, but what engine is that and what turbo are you running?
See his sig..

04 .:R TDI - Conversion Thread 246 AWHP 343 AWTQ
PD150 w/4motion TDI 02M & LSD, TD Tuning Full Race Tune, GTB2260VK, Darkside stainless tubular header & exhaust, R783 nozzles, Colt Stg. II cam, and lots more...

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Nothing in the AWD was changed or disabled at all. The engine is a PD150 with GTB2260VK and it has R783 nozzles.

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
Nothing in the AWD was changed or disabled at all. The engine is a PD150 with GTB2260VK and it has R783 nozzles.

just curious b/c of my build, but do you have the max amount of fuel going thru the nozzles?

looking for a point of reference for my build, i know i will have more air moving thru my engine, so i am expecting that my limiting variable will be fuel....just curious if this is "all they have" or is there more fuel that can still be added...??

thanks!

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
just curious b/c of my build, but do you have the max amount of fuel going thru the nozzles?

looking for a point of reference for my build, i know i will have more air moving thru my engine, so i am expecting that my limiting variable will be fuel....just curious if this is "all they have" or is there more fuel that can still be added...??

thanks!
It isn't entirely the max amount of fuel available, but fairly close if you care about EGT's.

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
It isn't entirely the max amount of fuel available, but fairly close if you care about EGT's.

gotcha, how high did they get? so does that mean you are at 75% of possible fuel, but stopped b/c EGTs are too high, or 95% of fuel and EGTs are high? sorry for all the questions, just curious since this is the closest to my car/setup out there right now

granted i dont know how much fuel is going thru my injectors, but i know it is set at to be limited at 30psi and there is not smoke coming out of my car, and i have yet to break 1000*F

looking forward to getting the JFettig valve springs installed, the see what it will do...

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
I'm sure I posted a comment about this being close to, if not more than, 300 crank HP earlier. Good job! :D

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
what kind of AWD system?

"physically" disconnecting anything on the Haldex system wont make any substantial difference due to the output shaft from the gearbox always spinning...typically people will simply either unplug the haldex controller in the rear, or pull the fuse that powers the haldex system...
When I had my Audi TT build if we filled the fuse vs disconnected the axle was not the same... The haldex hydraulics still turn making a loss... With AWD vs driveshaft out I loss 23%, if I pulled fuse only vs AWD then it was 8% loss

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Just got home from Mike's (9ish hour drive from LV to SF).

Thank you all for the very kind words! The car has really turned out well! I can answer some of the responses now (Mike has done a lot of the work for me).

That is much power! congrats! I only dynoed 196awhp with my current setup, dont remember torque. There is realy much transmission loss, for sure!

May I ask what kind of boost you run?

//Theo
34 PSI (2.34 BAR)

awesome! your walking a fine line of making me jealous and motivating me! LOL
You're making everyone else jealous! Your car makes mine look mild!

Very Nice...
Drive shaft was connected! I was equally wowed!

I'm sure I posted a comment about this being close to, if not more than, 300 crank HP earlier. Good job! :D
I believe it is too, which is crazy!

Thanks all for such positive feedback. I'm very happy with the car. I should probably install my head studs soon so I don't have to do a head gasket. Next on my list: ported head, rods (for safety), (even larger) injectors.

Mike's tune is fantastic BTW. 40MPG on the ride home averaging 85 MPH. Cruising at 85 MPH and maintaing speed in 6th makes 650ºF EGT and 10-11 PSI of boost. 50% throttle acceleration to pass yields 750º-815ºF and around 20 PSI starting at 1950 RPM or so and going up to 2400 RPM with 30 PSI of boost.

The car doesn't stutter or hiccup. It feels as if it could have come from the factory like this. The only time one would be able to tell it wasn't factory is when you're at 3000+ RPM w/34 PSI of boost and the smoke show starts. It's a great car to drive.

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
Great, thanks for the answer.

If I travel to west coast some time I let you know. Leaving Manhattan tomorrow and it have been nice! Everything is big for a guy like me from a small country!;)

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Great, thanks for the answer.

If I travel to west coast some time I let you know. Leaving Manhattan tomorrow and it have been nice! Everything is big for a guy like me from a small country!;)
Glad that you enjoyed New York! Have safe travels back to Sweden!

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
For comparison my PD130 4Motion dynoed 104 AWHP stock, 130 AWHP with a tune. I've also seen a PD140 4Motion dyno 140 AWHP with a tune so I guess your PD150 should be around 150 AWHP if it only had a tune ;)

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Is that the same PD150 that Mike had stuffed into his mk3? Those are some killer numbers man, that thing has to be a blast to drive!!

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Is that the same PD150 that Mike had stuffed into his mk3? Those are some killer numbers man, that thing has to be a blast to drive!!
No, I put the pd150 into Dan's car at my old old shop.

Glad too see the numbers Dan! Now i'm really curious what a ported head will do.... ;)