Dynaudio amp swap for VW amp (POS)

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Dynaudio DSP module swap for VW DSP module (POS). New DSP/amp/EQ/XO.. 3C0-035-456-C

Edit: Ooops, correctly as 035 not (034 wrong)

Today I replaced the TDI's under seat OE external DSP amp [1K6-035-456-A] with a Dynaudio/VW amp; [3C0-035-456-C]. This exchange was an easy plug n play, that simple. The audible difference is Night N Day. Oh my Gawd... really! A huge leap forward in performance. The TDIs sound system is all grown up now. Cheap ass bean counters at VWoA....

The model Passat MY06-07 Dynaudio DSP module (er'amp) is currently on sale at a VW dealership near you (and other parts venues) for $99.00 USD or less. (EDIT: all 50 units are SOLD) I bought 3 module/amp. Its a good/better/(best) quaility D-class amplifier coupled with an active X-over, EQ, Phase correction, group delay, etc, all of which is in a slim "fits under the seat" chassis. While ideally suited to the Dynaudio speakers, the DSP/amp is presently driving the VW OEM OK quaility paper cone speakers as provided in my MY06 Jetta MFD2 DVD Navi-DSS HiFi stereo option. -This hybrid arrangement sounds great. While the Dyn DSP modules signal processing parameters are taylored to the Passat's larger interior, the Dynaudio speaker units are utilized in many other VW models; The Golf GTI, EOS, Passat, Phaeton, T-SUV... so there are plenty of donor cars worldwide.

I'll explore using a Dynaudio DSP in a non-VW application but do plan to include the automotive Dynaudio/VW drivers from a donor EOS/Passat. The omisson of a CANBUS signal to the DSP could rendor it an expensive paperweight in such an application.. We'll see.

The (our) TDIs original OE VW DSP (1K6) is a light weight, empty shell; 1K6-035-456-A. = POS.

My MY2006.5 TDI Pkg 2 w/ Navi MFD2 DVD, SAT & CD changer, w/10 VW spk's is now fitted with the Dynaudio DSP 3C0-035-456-C and its fantastic!! The Dynaudio DSP spec's are; LF-110w RMS x 4, MF-40w RMS x 2 and HF-25w RMS X 4. There's impedance compensation, X-over, EQ and Time alignment to boot. What's not to like.

There's web a-plenty-info available by searching the # 3C0-035-456-A Or with suffix C.
There's a few How-To tutorials with great photo documentation...

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
The correct part number for the $99 amp is 3C0-035-456-C. Your dealership may tell you that it superceedes to an H model which is almost $900. But the C amp is still available (currently) in the warehouses....

Too bad my car doesn't have the amplified system otherwise I would also upgrade.

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
Mark IV

Does anyone know if this would work in a Monsoon System in an 04' Jetta? Might be an upgrade worth looking into if its possible.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you know 1k6 amp specs?
I don't.
But I did stay at a Holiday Express the other night....(couldn't help it - Christmas cabin fever with the kids)

Maloosheck: The interior of the VW 1K6-035-456-A amp’s chassis is bare as can be though... Speculatively speaking... The diminutive circuitry could easily fit within the space of a single DIN radio chassis. The 1K6 incorporates an active X-over circuit and in turn a degree of efficiency to that of the amps output.

The Dynaudio amp upgrade (you pioneered) is light years ahead of a 1K6 amp.
My $.02 cents is VWs 1K6 amp’s virtue is cost cutting 1st and foremost, whilst salvaging the marketing of whatever an “external amp” is to mean. Accidentally speaking the 1K6 amps active x-over architecture adds system performance.

Last edited:

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
How do I find out if I have this style amp?
Would this swap work on a 2010 TDI sedan with the RCD-510?????
Look for a rectangle shaped (shoebox sized) x 1.5" high amplifier chassis located under the drivers seat; its situated to the front area of the seat < this for the MKV A5 Golf/Jetta chassis.

Well Gent's, that's the $99 dollar question isn't it.

A starting point would be to know your vehicle. Much of these enhancements are guess work - on behalf of others whom have gone before us. I'm not familiar with a road map per se.

The plug n play aspect of this amp swap is intriguing for some, sure.
Beyond that my going in assumption was to make this amp swap work, even if it were to encounter a wiring alteration obstacle… These "add a factory option" mod’s after production are not usually so easy (plug n play) as this turned out - We got lucky I suppose.

Last edited:

jdhunt0

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I have a 05.5 Jetta with the premium (non SAT) radio. Where is the stock amp located?

Foiled

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 96, wagon 295K + (sold), Jetta, 05.5 (Sold)
I picked up my amp for $99 and installed it today. Even with the stock HU and speakers, it sounds very good!

klrman

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Street Edition
Install questions for non dynaudio RCD-510

Any idea what the VW Part # is for the wiring harness from the RCD-510 to the external amp? If I can't find it, I'll just have to provide the pin out diagram to my installer.

cloud09

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Great info for those who have a factory amp under their driver seat. Unfortunately, my 2009 Jetta TDI does not :( If anybody figures out how to use this amp with wiring harness as a new install (versus plug & play), please share your installation experience with us.

TXRanger83

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Great info for those who have a factory amp under their driver seat. Unfortunately, my 2009 Jetta TDI does not :( If anybody figures out how to use this amp with wiring harness as a new install (versus plug & play), please share your installation experience with us.
I'm but sure but I bet maloosheck can make you a wiring harness, I doubt you can buy just the amp wiring harness from the dealer.

klrman

TDI
this might work (upgrading non-amplified jetta)

Here is a wiring harness to upgrade Touareg head unit to Dynaudio. Ain't cheap!, and not sure if it works for RCD/RNS-510

Last edited:

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
The King of OEM Enhancements is Maloosheck - Period! His throughly optioned Jetta TDI started life as a base model pkg 0 vehicle, IIRC. That very Jetta TDI, now a pkg 007, has OEM options a-plenty many of which are offered only in Europe and not N. America. - no easy task. Maloosheck is a genuine Prospector..... You owe it to yourself to visit his Blog where many of the operations are depicted step by step. End commercial.

I'd bet there's an OE wiring harness to accomodate the external audio amp module; Got-ta be. My late 2006 production TDI Jetta was ordered with the then offered (DSS) digital sound system to include the MFD2 DVD Navi. With the external amplifier present under the driver seat (front area) the Dynaudio amp vs the VW's 1K6 amp swap was a plug n play proposition.

Anyone with a ETKA? A simply review of the ETKA would make this crystal clear.

Last edited:

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
Here is a wiring harness to upgrade Touareg head unit to Dynaudio. Ain't cheap!, and not sure if it works for RCD/RNS-510

Well, two things on the one above:
1. The picture does not show the door speaker harnesses. Not sure if it is different for 'egg, but for Jetta you need to rewire speakers inside the doors
2. I was planning to build one of these using quality speaker wires rather than plain hook-up wires, but not sure if it is worth an effort. Anybody with the better knowledge would chime if it will make much better sound quality?

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
Any idea what the VW Part # is for the wiring harness from the RCD-510 to the external amp? If I can't find it, I'll just have to provide the pin out diagram to my installer.
There is NO SEPARATE harness for amp retrofit. You can buy a whole harness ($1k+ new or ~$500 from junkyard) and extract the wiring for amp (I did that) or make one.

cloud09

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Wow! Had no idea wiring harnesses could cost so much. That plus the amp would be over $1K. Not worth it to me just for a sound upgrade.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
There is NO SEPARATE harness for amp retrofit. You can buy a whole harness ($1k+ new or ~$500 from junkyard) and extract the wiring for amp (I did that) or make one.
A Google search (what else) of the Passat/Dynaudio/VW/ amps number "3C0-035-456-A" brings an amp enhancement in a Passat forward..
http://www.big-partycentral.de/Bilder/Dynaudio_Passa_3C_Build.pdf

From what I gather here, a wiring loom from the OE Head Unit to the 3C0 amp was home made. Is this something Kufatec could cobble together? If its priced at a $grand, I'll quit my day job...
http://kufatec.com

Maloosheck: To answer your question regarding up rating the doors wire gauge? - From the amplifier module to the door speakers.
Audibly speaking, No. Keep in mind it's an “active” arrangement where each of the speakers/drivers are feed frequency specific signals; basically narrow bandwidth and at a defined (short) distance. Audibly speaking,,, a good copper stranded wire VS ever so slightly larger gauge copper stranded wire would be an infinitesimal differential. Additionally the Dynaudio/VW module includes impedance compensation; an active amplification arrangement has its privileges not to mention fierce control over known driver assemblies.

Last edited:

klrman

TDI
Kufatec

I posted a link to a Kufatec harness on post #18. Still not cheap at $390.

cdutton

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
This sounds like something I would like to do! i have a 2006 Jetta TDI package 2
non Nav 6 disk changer and Sat . Is the wiring harness the same or need a conversion? sounds like on the 2006 Jetta it is just unplug old amp and plug in new one.
Is this correct?
Thanks for great options and deals, will pass on any i may run accross!!

alnmike

Veteran Member
TDI
Do I have to take my seat off to find I my amp is the one that can be upgraded? I do have a factory amp but you couldn't order one, so I don't have much info. I don't have loyalty edition but somehow do have premium sound lol.