dumb question--engine block heater

thebauer

TDI
A3
took delivery of 2011 A3 TDC 2 weeks ago. Yesterday while "petting" my little
lady I noticed an electric type plug in the grill on the drivers side. Is this a
standard connection interface for a engine block heater? :confused:

3waygeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Audi A3 2.0 TDI
I don't know if it's a standard connector, but all A3 TDIs in the US come with the block heater. The 2010s included the power cord, but the 2011s don't for some reason.

thebauer

TDI
A3
thanks guys--is the best place for the power cord the dealer? Odd they didn't say anything about this-. my garage is not heated stays about 15 degrees warmer than
outside but hey Ohio winters can get cold.

automobiliben

TDI
2010 Audi A3
Did you get heated seats? I garage mine and really haven't bothered buying the cable. A Frostheater would be a better option, than the block heater for instant heat. Also, our cars have a supplemental electric heater, so it doesn't take too long to get the heat going.

FWIW, only the first few 2010s came with the cable, mine didn't. See if the dealership will just give you one, some did. The cable is $185 IIRC, not worth it...

srptdi

TDI
2005.5 jetta black
a preheated engine gets better mileage than a cold engine

blueprintbill

TDI
A3 TDI 2011
Inflation Is Here

Current cost for Audi A3 block heater cord here in Suburban Boston is $230.01
part no IKO819031D. Buy one now cause by this winter it should be about $400.
Can we get a bulk order price?

Red Devil

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI
Purchased a new 2011 A3 tdi in May. Dealer agreed to provide the engine block heater cable (plug in lower grill) at time of purchase and I left without it. It's now the end of September 2011 and it's suppose to be in my mail by Monday... lots of calls and the dealer seems to be the ones who dropped the ball on getting it quickly. Hard to believe it's difficult to find the part but after seeing the prices quoted here I can see why the dealer has been slow.

Love my A3, at about 4,000 miles mixed between city and travel, it's averaging over 30 mpg even driving it it sport mode (no lugging here).

Red Devil

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI
The heater cord did indeed arrive from the dealer along with the wiring harness from the front bumper to the engine block. I suspect they ordered the wrong part (the harness) and realized the mistake before they forwarded it on with the cable.

Too bad it's 90 out today, would like to see how well it works before I go in for the 5000 mile service.

Can anyone give some advice as to how long to leave it heat and what kind of temperatures will it maintain (i.e. should I see the gauge needle move when using it)?

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the Audi branded cord and a generic extension cord with the same gauge wires?

The heater cord did indeed arrive from the dealer along with the wiring harness from the front bumper to the engine block. I suspect they ordered the wrong part (the harness) and realized the mistake before they forwarded it on with the cable.

Too bad it's 90 out today, would like to see how well it works before I go in for the 5000 mile service.

Can anyone give some advice as to how long to leave it heat and what kind of temperatures will it maintain (i.e. should I see the gauge needle move when using it)?

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the Audi branded cord and a generic extension cord with the same gauge wires?
The end that plugs into the car is a "special" design that no one else has. Not standard.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
The end that plugs into the car is a "special" design that no one else has. Not standard.
Thanks.

Is the special plug or socket unique other than it's attachment points? Would there be any reason that someone could not replace the ends?

COcyclist

TDI
04 Golf 5 speed Indigo Blue, Hers-2011 A3 TDI Tiptronic Silver
Thanks.

Is the special plug or socket unique other than it's attachment points? Would there be any reason that someone could not replace the ends?
As in- chop the Audi end and wire in a marine waterproof plug-end like I did on my Golf? Might be worth considering but the Audi one is kinda cute and factory looking. Group buy anyone?

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Not that I need the block heater in this climate, but I will probably cobble togetrher an extension cord for the fun of it. I should be able to do it for a $25 outlay and 20 minutes of my time.

COcyclist

TDI
I was quoted $148 at the dealer. Part #5K0965539 "Engine Pre-Heating Harness". I don't suppose any 2010 owners in warm climates would want to sell a used one? I am interested in buying.

Last edited:

COcyclist

TDI
Current cost for Audi A3 block heater cord here in Suburban Boston is $230.01
part no IKO819031D. Buy one now cause by this winter it should be about $400. Can we get a bulk order price?
Blueprintbill, FYI I tried the part number you listed and it came up as the "heater core". I believe you want the "engine pre-heater harness" that I listed in my post.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
I was quoted $148 at the dealer. Part #5K0965539 "Engine Pre-Heating Harness". I don't suppose any 2010 owners in warm climates would want to sell a used one? I am interested in buying.
I live where a block heater isn't necesary. Being a belt and suspenders sort of guy, I would like to have one anyway. :)

After my A3 is delivered, I will begin looking for a plug that fits the connector on the car, ...unless someone points us to one in the meantime.

It should be easy enough to cobble something together for $20 or so.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
I live where a block heater isn't necesary. Being a belt and suspenders sort of guy, I would like to have one anyway. :)

After my A3 is delivered, I will begin looking for a plug that fits the connector on the car, ...unless someone points us to one in the meantime.

It should be easy enough to cobble something together for $20 or so.

Last edited:

maroonfrog1

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI S-Line 2011
Be Prepared

Being a belt and suspenders sort of guy, I would like to have one anyway. :)

After my A3 is delivered, I will begin looking for a plug that fits the connector on the car ...
Let me know when you have found a source. I'll be doing some northern-clime traveling in the March - April timeframe waaaaayy up north in Canada in my A3 and need to be prepared for whatever I find.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Yes Sir. I will post whatever I find.

The easiest solution may be to cut the cable behind the grill and splice in a short cord with a conventional socket then use an off the shelf extension cord. We shall see.

COcyclist

TDI
I bit the bullet and got one from ECS tuning on-line. It was $143 but I was ordering splash guards and so I didn't have to take a big hit for shipping. Audi Part #5K0965539. It is probably the nicest 11' extension cord I own... (but it does fit the nice Audi plug perfectly)

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/5k0965539/

Last edited:

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
I bit the bullet and got one from ECS tuning on-line. It was $143 but I was ordering splash guards and so I didn't have to take a big hit for shipping. Audi Part #5K0965539. It is probably the nicest 11' extension cord I own... (but it does fit the nice Audi plug perfectly)

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/5k0965539/
The question is, "Does it fit anything else and if so, what? In other words, is the connection truly and exclusively proprietary; or, is there another available plug or plugs that will fit and if so, please identify it and/or them.

Many thanks.

CRdeesl

TDI
2012 a3 tdi
Damn if I had known these cables were so expensive I would've had the dealer throw it in before I signed the paperwork!

That end looks pretty proprietary, so I doubt it's used in any other application. I get audi wanting to make the cables proprietary & make a buck, but that cable can't cost them more than $5-10 to make. Them charging @ $200 is just criminal.

I'm gearing up for my first winter, but I'll see how it does without the cable.

I agree that the Frostheater seems like a good option instead of paying full price for the cable.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Thanks. Since my car hasn't been delivered yet, I can't look and am not sure. However, I'm thinking that at worst, I can replace the end on the car and use a convetnional extension cord. Has anyone tried that? I don't particularly like the idea of adding a complete heater with a Frostheater or something similar.

Damn if I had known these cables were so expensive I would've had the dealer throw it in before I signed the paperwork!

That end looks pretty proprietary, so I doubt it's used in any other application. I get audi wanting to make the cables proprietary & make a buck, but that cable can't cost them more than $5-10 to make. Them charging @ $200 is just criminal.

I'm gearing up for my first winter, but I'll see how it does without the cable.

I agree that the Frostheater seems like a good option instead of paying full price for the cable.

Red Devil

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI
So I tried to let the block heater run over night (wasn't very cold, maybe 47 or so).

It made a big difference in the morning, started easier and ran much quieter and smoother for the first 5 minutes than it does when starting from cold.

I don't believe you can find the plug, it definitely has that 'custom' look. You could easily figure out how to wire a different plug/connector but I think ending up with a standard 110v connector that fits a standard extension cord will be difficult to fit onto the grill.

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
So I tried to let the block heater run over night (wasn't very cold, maybe 47 or so).

That heater is just over 500 watts, it can get expensive running it all night, you should look into getting a heavy duty timer. It only needs 3-4 hours to make a big difference.

COcyclist

TDI
That heater is just over 500 watts, it can get expensive running it all night, you should look into getting a heavy duty timer. It only needs 3-4 hours to make a big difference.
Ours is in the garage but it makes a big difference in 20 or 30 minutes. When you plug it in it instantly makes a low hissing noise like an electric teakettle. It seems to work much quicker than the FrostHeater on the Golf

popeyeone

TDI
2011 A3
I just got the cable for my A3...but nothing seems to happen when I plug it in.
This is my first engine with a heater and my first diesel, so please excuse my ignorance...
I expected to hear some kind of hum when the block heater is on and in the morning get hot air from the heater before I get to work. Neither is happening.
Could the heater be broken? What should happen when I plug the car in?

Red Devil

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI
Something isn't working on yours. I didn't hear noise but the temp gauge was off the cold mark and it started and ran as warm. Warm air from a/c promptly.