Dumb Question....Cluster TPMS Warning Behavior?

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
Morning!

I have a Mk5 Jetta that I upgraded with a Mk6 color 3D highline cluster. I have direct TPMS with wheel sensors installed.

Question. When a tire goes low, what warning do you get? With my old Mk5 highline cluster the TPMS amber light came on along with a warning message in the MFD.

With my Mk6 cluster, the only warning is a single chime and the amber light. No warning message.

Trying to figure out if this is expected behavior or if I have something coded wrong.

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
Thanks! I was curious.

I hate to admit, this new behavior bit me in the ass. I had a wheel sensor die and set the TPMS warning light. I categorize that as a "at leisure" replacement. On my old cluster, the TPMS would set a warning message in the cluster if an *additional* tire had a sudden pressure loss.

Not this one! I was on the highway and got that single "bong!", and thought nothing of it until the car started feeling funny. At highway speed that was already too late and I had damaged the tire beyond repair.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
The newer cluster is probably based upon the next type of technology that uses wheel speed sensors instead of actual tire pressure sensors, it can’t differentiate between the individual wheels. It wasn’t until the last few model years around 2018-19 where they recognize the individual wheels and can tell you which tire is low using the wheel speed sensors.