dumb oil filter question

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
Yea so I changed my oil the other day and my new upper oil filter gasket leaked after I got it all tightend up.

So can i take out the oil filter with out draining the oil? I thought that the oil drains down in to the pan from the filter. I know on most cars you can not do this.

Also does any one have a pic of where the upper O-ring should be on the oil filter housing. I though I put in the right place but I guess not after it leaked.

Thanks guys,

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Your O-ring leaked because it was above the groove it belongs in. If you look at Paul's picture, you can see that the O-ring is in a groove about 1/8 inch below were the cap seats on the canister.

You had the O-ring above that groove and if it is in that location, it will not seal.

No need to remove the filter, just unscrew the cap, separate it from the filter and put a good O-ring in the proper location and seat the cap back on the filter and tighten the cap.

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
No your right I had it in the groove above, and I did not save the old one. Rookie mistake! I do have a extra oil filter at home to use. You guys rock!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
But seriously, the O-ring will probably last over a few filter changes if it is installed correctly.

The O-ring seals between the sides of the filter housing and the groove in the cap. If the cap screws down until the cap meets the housing with no gap, then the O-ring is probably sealing correctly.

At that point, torque isn't all that important. you just tighten the cap down until it bottoms with no gap between the cap and the housing and then just snug it down a little.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The only other thing I can think of is you tightened it too much. Hand tight and then a little snug with one hand is enough.
Tightening it to much would have only stressed the threads some. Once the cap bottoms out on the housing, the seal is made. Any additional tightening (snugging) just makes sure the cap doesn't loosen from vibration.

To over tighten enough to cause distortion of the sealing surface and leaks would probably round off the cap or destroy the threads on the cap.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
I once thought I over tightened but I have never had a leak.And I always change the o-rings. The new filters come with them so I use them. I did once loose the bottom o-ring and went to ACE hardware and got another one.