Dual mass flywheel VW T4

chrisbeee

TDI
t4 2.5 tdi
Hi everyone, just joined,

would a faulty DMF cause a TDI to run lumpy on tickover??

apart from terrible tickover, the van runs great.
If I select 1st gear, with foot on the brake, and release the clutch [just to biting point] the idle evens out.
just want to make sure it is 100% DMF before I chuck a load of money at it

TIA
Chris.

roundcubefifteen

TDI
BMW
I would almost bet its a duel mass.
It can break and damage other thing, I personally drove mine to Inuvik Northwest Territories and around Alaska before I replaced mine, I got tired of the rattle at idle.
To replace it nobody could get me a flywheel clutch here in North America. I wanted single mass and nobody in Germany wanted to ship to Canada. I found a valeo on Amazon de. And they shipped out of England. (Payed euro not pound)
It's a tough clutch but has a very little bit of chatter when starting out in 1st. It engages hard and is not the easiest thing to drive.
But it tows hard and works. There are no extra rattles from the trans. It's very quiet. shareit vidmate

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Get someone to give it a rev and let off the pedal while you listen down the front at the bell housing, usually hear them knock as the revs drop.

chrisbeee

TDI
t4 2.5 tdi
Thanks for the replies, This problem started when I took it for a re-map.. it has the older MSA15 ecu, and need the chips replacing for re-writable ones.
My old ECU was replaced for one that had already been soldered to accept the new chips. As soon as the new ECU was in place, this problem started, the tuner fiddled with the pump timing, and then couldn't get it back to where it should be. He told me it needed setting up with a DTI because it was so far out [it was perfect when it went in, as my belts had not long been done] Anyway, I paid a garage to set up the pump timing, the chap struggled, as the tickover is so lumpy, it was hard to get a stable reading.
I took it back to the tuner [who I thought would manage to get it running perfect] he tuned it, and to be fair, the van runs fantastic, but he told me the lumpy tickover was the DMF. I have been to another garage since I first posted, and the chap says it isn't the DMF.. He says it is possibly the pump voltage map.
I am going to source another ECU, and go from there..
Cheers
Chris.