Dsg tuning

Pimpwagen2010

TDI
2009 6mt Malone tuned/ 2010 dsg Malone tuned
I recently bought a 2010 2.0 diesel with Malone stage 2 and exhaust and HPA dsg tunes. I have come to the conclusion that the HPA setup is crap. The best way I can describe it is that the car is plain stupid. It shifts way too early and leaves me trying to climb a hill in 5th gear doing 30 mph and 1100 rpm. From what I read HPA is the setup to go with but I am very disappointed. The car doesn't drop out of 6th until about 40 mph which gives me no engine braking a leaves me to stomp the brakes and prematurely wear them out. It hiccups if I let off and moderately get back in the throttle and doesn't downshift to the correct gear without flooring it. I believe this could be a comfortable car to drive with proper tuning. I'm new to the dsg but also have an 09 manual with Malone tune and I like it a lot better. I was planning to sell the 09 but might sell the 10 if I can't figure this out.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I recently bought a 2010 2.0 diesel with Malone stage 2 and exhaust and HPA dsg tunes. I have come to the conclusion that the HPA setup is crap. The best way I can describe it is that the car is plain stupid. It shifts way too early and leaves me trying to climb a hill in 5th gear doing 30 mph and 1100 rpm. From what I read HPA is the setup to go with but I am very disappointed. The car doesn't drop out of 6th until about 40 mph which gives me no engine braking a leaves me to stomp the brakes and prematurely wear them out. It hiccups if I let off and moderately get back in the throttle and doesn't downshift to the correct gear without flooring it. I believe this could be a comfortable car to drive with proper tuning. I'm new to the dsg but also have an 09 manual with Malone tune and I like it a lot better. I was planning to sell the 09 but might sell the 10 if I can't figure this out.
Your moniker sez it all "Pimpwagen" you bought a car that some one else forgot about the Malone DSG tune. Pimp on:D

radoroc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
Not with a DSG tune from Malone. With a tap of the throttle my Golf will downshift and put
me in the powerband instantly.
I have the Malone dsg tune, and D is only optimal if you're cruising and worrying about mileage. It is better than stock but it shifts up quickly, by 60km/hr I will be in 5th gear already if I'm cruising.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I love my Malone DSG tune. It does shift early at times but a slight tap on the throttle and it downshifts and moves on...

Pimpwagen2010

TDI
Your moniker sez it all "Pimpwagen" you bought a car that some one else forgot about the Malone DSG tune. Pimp on:D
I put a set of wheels on my 09 and rolled up to my girlfriends house to pick her up and her dad named it the pimpwagen lol so I went with it

Pimpwagen2010

TDI
As far as the Malone tune, how much is it? I have never drove a stock dsg, so I don't know how the hpa is compared to that, so is there anybody that has driven the hpa and stock and Malone? It doesn't get as good of mpg as I was hoping so I think im going to sell them both and keep the superduty for the hotrod/weekender and buy an older 1.9 for work and experiment with propane injection for mpg.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Is there a major difference when driving in M with the Malone DSG? I ONLY drive in M on my stock DSG, and only use D once in a while (like if I'm in bumper to bumper traffic and happen to be eating something). My other car has a standard transmission, so that's what I'm used to.

I'm just trying to get as much feedback as possible, as I'm contemplating a DSG tune along with a Stage 2 and DPF removal.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
If you get a stage 2 tune, a DSG tune is needed because of the torque limiter programmed into the DSG.