DSG Transmission Oil

PuttItOut

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
I have become a happy owner of a 2009 Jetta Sportwagen. I need to change the transmission oil, I've determined that VW G 052 182 A2 / G05218251LDSP is what I'm looking for. Me and my VW are in Ontario Canada, local auto parts dealers are no help with this transmission oil. To order online would be $$$. My question for you helpful people, what is the best solution for getting this special oil in Canada? Are there different oils that I'm not seeing using those #'s? Any secret secret compatibles I'm missing? Anyone know places in Canada that stocks DSG oil? Thanks all

Ford Guy

TDI
2006 Jetta 4dr
Actually Yes:cool:

I have found a Dual Clutch oil that is much easier to find and even more affordable then the imported German fluids and is fully Approved for all of the DCT/DSG following specs: BMW 83 220 440214, Ford M2C 936A, MB 236.21, MB 236.25, Volvo 1161838, Volvo 1161839, VW G 052 182 A2.

I have changed out my old Pentosin fluid with this and actually changed it twice within a few thousand miles ( changing filter both times of course ) just to make sure it was fully flushed and converted to the new stuff. I know this is overkill and even spoke with a tech at both VW and Valvoline regarding and they both said that the fluids are fully compatible with each other, so it was overkill to do the double change, but because they are different colors, it bugged me and I did it anyways LOL.

I know the OCI on these transmissions is usually 40k on the low side and even as much as 100k+ on others, so it is not really a big deal to save a few dollars, because you run the oil so long, but I personally like the idea of using a Northern America based oil that is easier to find and prefer supporting these oil companies over the imported German stuff. Just my personal preference of course. I have not noticed any difference before during or after the 2 change session and now have close to 10k after the second change and transmission is perfect in every way. It might be me wanting it to feel better, but I swear it actually shifts a little smoother when its warm then it did before, but if so, the difference is very subtle.

Anyways the Fluid is:

Valvoline DCT ATF Fluid Part # 888705 and is only available in Quarts. It is still $11-19 dollars a Quart/Liter pretty much everywhere, so still super expensive, but not the $25-48 a Quart/Liter that the the Pentosin and similar imported oils seem to cost by comparison. I just like the idea that it is available from Walmart and Napa and pretty much every standard auto part store around, although many of them do need to order it in, so not always on the shelf.

Hope this helps :)

( just a side note - My vehicle is an 06 Jetta TDI/DSG and I have not done the factory recommended method with the weird little internal drain plug thingy, but instead have always done the "measure and replace exact same amount" method when changing the trans fluid. I actually use a clean 5 Quart oil jug and fill it with the old fluid and weigh it on a shipping scale and then pour the new fluid into an identical (CLEAN) jug and weigh them side by side at the same temperature before putting in new fluid. My trans is around 4.35 quarts, which seems to be pretty average, so I feel confident with this method rather then the dual drain and let it leak out at a certain temperature method employed by the dealers.)

spkrrpr

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Station Wagon MK IV

I have found a Dual Clutch oil that is much easier to find and even more affordable then the imported German fluids and is fully Approved for all of the DCT/DSG following specs: BMW 83 220 440214, Ford M2C 936A, MB 236.21, MB 236.25, Volvo 1161838, Volvo 1161839, VW G 052 182 A2.

I have changed out my old Pentosin fluid with this and actually changed it twice within a few thousand miles ( changing filter both times of course ) just to make sure it was fully flushed and converted to the new stuff. I know this is overkill and even spoke with a tech at both VW and Valvoline regarding and they both said that the fluids are fully compatible with each other, so it was overkill to do the double change, but because they are different colors, it bugged me and I did it anyways LOL.

I know the OCI on these transmissions is usually 40k on the low side and even as much as 100k+ on others, so it is not really a big deal to save a few dollars, because you run the oil so long, but I personally like the idea of using a Northern America based oil that is easier to find and prefer supporting these oil companies over the imported German stuff. Just my personal preference of course. I have not noticed any difference before during or after the 2 change session and now have close to 10k after the second change and transmission is perfect in every way. It might be me wanting it to feel better, but I swear it actually shifts a little smoother when its warm then it did before, but if so, the difference is very subtle.

Anyways the Fluid is:

Valvoline DCT ATF Fluid Part # 888705 and is only available in Quarts. It is still $11-19 dollars a Quart/Liter pretty much everywhere, so still super expensive, but not the $25-48 a Quart/Liter that the the Pentosin and similar imported oils seem to cost by comparison. I just like the idea that it is available from Walmart and Napa and pretty much every standard auto part store around, although many of them do need to order it in, so not always on the shelf.

( just a side note - My vehicle is an 06 Jetta TDI/DSG and I have not done the factory recommended method with the weird little internal drain plug thingy, but instead have always done the "measure and replace exact same amount" method when changing the trans fluid. I actually use a clean 5 Quart oil jug and fill it with the old fluid and weigh it on a shipping scale and then pour the new fluid into an identical (CLEAN) jug and weigh them side by side at the same temperature before putting in new fluid. My trans is around 4.35 quarts, which seems to be pretty average, so I feel confident with this method rather then the dual drain and let it leak out at a certain temperature method employed by the dealers.)

Have you found a good source for filter and filler hose? I see on the blogs that some people make these hoses themselves. Something I can do. This will be my first attempt at the trans change on my 2004 Jetta TDI MkIV (150K miles). Sick of paying high$ for something I can do myself. The technique of carefully catching and measuring the drained fluid and replacing it in kind makes more sense to me than having to purchase expensive scanners (I have a basic generic one). Any other advice to a first timer?
Thanks for your post.

Ford Guy

TDI
2006 Jetta 4dr
Welcome aboard and congrats! I am loving my TDI, the mileage truly cant be beat and mine just continues to improve since i have been really focused on the lubricants and fuel additives and general maintenance :)

I apologize in advance for the lengthy post, I was feeling "chatty" LOL :)

Regarding the filter, I have purchased mine through Napa 2 of the times and then ordered 1 from an online ebay vendor the other time, so i havent really found a super deal on it, but since i was changing it multiple times, I bought a cheaper filter cus i knew it would only be in there a short time. The filter I finally left in for a full OCI was around $23 if i remember right and i believe I ordered it through Advance Auto Parts. Although after handling multiple brands of this filter I can tell you they were all identical. The paper looks like it might be just slightly stronger then toilet paper and if you run your fingernail down it, it kind of tears apart. Really odd I thought, but figured they knew what they were doing.

One thing I started doing that I really like now and do it with all the cartridge style filters (oil and trans) is presoak them in fluid before installing them. I actually got a 1 quart plastic paint bucket with lid for each type of filter and put just enough fluid or atf in it to submerge the filter and leave it for hours or even overnight if i think of it before changing it (with lid on of course to make sure dust does not get in).

I havent used a hose for mine, I actually found a long skinny plastic transmission funnel that fits perfectly into the little hole in the middle of the cartridge housing that holds about a qaurt of fluid. Then I tied it with a small bungy or wire to the hood so it stayed there without me having to hold it. The fluid takes forever to drain down into the transmission, so I fill it with about a qaurt of fluid and then go tinker elsewhere in the shop for 5 or 10 minutes at a time and just check it and keep the funnel topped off. I have thought about trying to pump it in some how, but figured it only takes about an hour this way start to finish including taking the air intake ductwork and cartridge housing off, plus I probably wont do it again for a year or 2 at least, so no biggie.

Then once fluid is all in, just pop in the presoaked filter and screw on the cartridge housing. I have been able to do mine without removing the battery by using a wobbly extension on my ratchet, but it is a little tight and certainly would be easier by removing the battery and battery tray if thats more your style. ( since i plan to try and get 500k+ out of this car, I have actually considered taking the battery tray out and cutting an inch or so off that back corner of the tray to make the trans changes easier, since that is 9 or 10 more trans fluid flushes ahead of me at least if all goes well, but most peeps dont like hacking stuff up, so that is definitely a little more aggressive.)

Anyways, I hope this helps in some way. I have really enjoyed working on this little car. Its so over engineered in silly ways that at first I felt like you needed a mechanical engineering degree just to change the oils LOL. But once you get the right tools its basically the same as changing the oil on any old gasoline car. I have cut a small hole in the plastic drivetrain cover thingy on the bottom of the car right below the oil drain plug, so I can change the oil without having to take any of that cowling off anymore and that has been a real time saver. And since I never drive on dirt roads, I have no worries of dirt or debris getting up in there and making it dirty, but again that is more of a personal thing and I know most peeps would not want to cut that stuff up.

Switching to 60 series tires versus the 55 series sidewalls that came with it just to get a little taller final gearing and with some crafty lubricant tricks and consistent use of good fuel and additives, I am now consistently getting 55+ mpg at 80 mph on the freeway trips and could not be happier. Car just seems to run better and smoother all the time, so I am pleased that the previous owners abuse and neglect has not caused permanent damage to the vehicle.

Bottom line - if anyone has any doubts about this DCT fluid from Valvoline, im at 13,000 miles since switching and am fully convinced the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are smoother around town while the freeway shifts are now completely seamless. Also I just recently found a place selling a 6 pack of it online for less then $40 shipped, which might be a black friday price, so not sure it will stick around, but can save you a little money as well.

Thats all - off to work again :)

Ford Guy

TDI
2006 Jetta 4dr
LOL - $160 is cheap? Ill keep the extra $100 dollar bill in my pocket and trust the 150 year old company called Valvoline that has NEVER let me down rather then waste money on that imported German crap LOL :) I manage an auto parts store that sells Pentosin and Ravenol and even with my large employee discount I wont buy that stuff. No thanks, plenty of equal or superior locally made products without having to support their economy instead of my own.

But I guess thats why they say "to each their own" ;)

Ford Guy

TDI
2006 Jetta 4dr
LOL - Here comes the brain washed "peanut gallery" as usual LOL :)

Like I said - "To Each Their Own". The guy asked for an "affordable" alternative. I am the only one who has answered his question. The rest of you are just haters that love to hate. I also spent the time to actually talk to technicians at both VW and Valvoline before I moved forward with the change just like I did on the oil and coolant changes...

I have successfully changed every single fluid in my "Mexican" made German car to US based fluids and very proud of that fact as ALL of them have not only been "blessed" by the almighty VW gods, they have also paid the ridiculous $500,000 licensing royalty that VW requires. So although you will all try, there is NO solid argument against a fluid that is fully approved for use in my Mexican manufactured car that I love very much and do not put cheap anything into.

More power to you if you insist on paying double or triple what is necessary to get fluids into your car when everything I use is fully approved and made right here on the American continent.

But hey "heil" to you and no one will argue with you as you pointlessly throw your money away :)

PS - just so you know, since you have clearly never done the research there are TONS of other DCT/DSG fluids available that are approved for most Dual Clutch drivetrains including products made by Schaeffer, Ford, AC Delco and others in addition to the Pennsylvania based Valvoline that I ended up using. Just because something is German does not mean you have to throw your money away keeping it lubricated, but thank goodness for Free Agency and the choice that we each get to do what we choose to do with our own vehicles... Ill be happy to report back in 350,000 more miles when my little TDI is still going strong despite my refusal to use the pointlessly overpriced products that you seem to think are "magic" in some way...

Last edited:

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL
Sticking to VW's recommended OCI's, or still using your Ford intervals? Cost per mile of the "imported German crap" is not that much when using factory intervals.

PuttItOut

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen

Anyways the Fluid is:

Thanks for that, unfortunately I found some Pentosin a week ago before your reply got to me. When I do another change I'll be sure to go with this stuff, looks good nuff to me

Rodinal220

TDI
2006 NB TDI-PD Dsg,Option #1,Harvest Moon Beige/Cream Leatherette
I'm currently running the Liqui Moly 8100 in my 2006 NB DSG with zero issues. I previously used OEM, Pentosin, now Liqui Moly. I purchased everything from IDParts.com. I couldn't tell a difference between any of them in my vehicle.

LIQUI MOLY Dual Clutch Transmission Oil 8100 - DSG
  • MPN: LM20044