DSG shift pattern 09 Jetta TDI

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I have about 2500 miles on the clock in my new 09 TDI, and this is my first experience with the DSG tranny, so I've a few questions some of you can answer. I would particularly like to hear from 09 owners since I suspect the tranny is responding differently than in earlier versions.

Here's my questions:

1. When you are in 6th gear in "drive" and you take your foot off the accelerator, would you agree that the car is NOT free wheeling. In other words, the RPM'S stay up with the gear ratio?

2. Do you CLEARLY notice the car shifting when you're approaching a stop? Can you feel it upshifting?

3. Can you especially notice it shifting back into first gear when you slow down SLOWLY to complete stop? (It doesn't seem to be noticable on a quick stop)

4. Does it ever "grab" upon your initial acceleration?

The reason for these questions is that this tranny is a whole new experience for me, and while I'm fascinated as well as very pleased, I just want to make SURE mine is working as it should... in that I particularly notice the "shift" into first gear when approaching a stop.

Thanks to all,

Wes

Tahna Los

TDI
None
I just had a test drive in a 2009 Jetta TDI not too long ago, and I am making some comparisons with the 2006 version that I also test drove at one point. Suffice to say, there may be differences in which the computer operates the DSG between model versions.

1) As my test drive was within local roads, I did not have the chance to experience 6th gear all that much. I do think it was free wheeling on fifth, though, the tach dropped as soon as I took the foot off the accelerator.

2) Haven't noticed this in particular.

3) This I definitely noticed. Whereas in the 2006 model you would have to downshift to first, this one seems to do it automatically for you, especially on first. You can downshift to second when you're approaching the stop, and it will do the downshift to first when you're almost stopping.

4) I didn't experience any "grab" more than I experience a kick that the car gives me when I floor it. But I didn't test drive it long enough to find out.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
1. No freewheeling. It feels just like a manual transmission.
2.yes, sometimes
3. yes, it downshifts just like a manual transmission.
4. yes

Sounds like all is normal. I went through the same learning curve as yourself.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My dad has a 2006 DSG and it's the same tranny.

1. It does not free-wheel in any gear. (It may upshift to the highest possible gear, though.)
2. Certainly the downshifts are noticeable. Every automatic does this, but this transmission has no torque converter to cover them up. The trick bit is how it "blips" the throttle, simulating a good heel/toe downshift by an expert manual-trans driver.
3. Yes, the shift to 1st will be more noticeable on a gradual slow-down. 1st has the most gear reduction, that gives max acceleration off a stop but it also gives max engine braking. If you are on the brakes more, the engine braking is insignificant and not noticeable compared to what the brakes are doing. Once again, every automatic does this, but this one has no torque converter to mask it.
4. I've noticed it, particularly during a cold start, the few times I've driven the car.

DSG has a different feel compared to a "normal" automatic. Everything you're describing is normal.

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
The words "automatic transmission" and "DSG gearbox" are totally unrelated.

The DSG isn't an automatic transmission. It's a pair of 3 speed manual transmissions inside one case that are sequentially shifted back and forth via a dual shaft/clutch system that's completely computer controlled. One shaft is pulling while the next gear is on the other shaft, que'd up and ready, and it works back and forth, up and down in gear range, like this as you drive. One clutch releases and the other engages and the next gear on the now idled shaft is que'd up. The lurch you may be feeling occasionally is from the tendency to gas it to hard before the clutch engages fully. I always let off the brake and as soon as I feel the clutch engage, I apply throttle slowly and steadily. This helps mileage to drive like this.

The DSG is an amazing piece of technology.

My 06 TDI Jetta always gives a little indication of downshifting as I roll to a stop. Normal.

ChuChu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
When I test drove the car, I did notice the engine resistance when I let my foot fully off the accelerator and this was more pronounced at lower speeds (I suppose due to less vehicular momentum and lower gears). As amazing as it is, I can't say I'm a fan of the DSG because its always-coupled nature makes it seem like the engine is either pushing or pulling you. I dare say it reminded me of the engine braking mode of a prius.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
ChuChu said:
When I test drove the car, I did notice the engine resistance when I let my foot fully off the accelerator and this was more pronounced at lower speeds (I suppose due to less vehicular momentum and lower gears). As amazing as it is, I can't say I'm a fan of the DSG because its always-coupled nature makes it seem like the engine is either pushing or pulling you. I dare say it reminded me of the engine braking mode of a prius.
Actually the "engine breaking" is a good thing (if you don't mind it)... as you could easily get over 100K out of your brake pads. My Murano had a cvt tranny that could easily be downshifted, which I always did on exit ramps etc... and I didn't do brakes until 110K, and didn't even have to turn the rotors then. My Impala on the other hand, which was the most "free wheeling" vehicle I've ever owned (it could coast to China, I swear) had to have brakes at 50K. Same general driving patterns (I'm a sales rep, so it's the same routes all the time)...

I'm thinking with my driving style and the engine braking available on the TDI, I may well get to 100K again before I need brakes.... or at least hoping so.

Wes

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
wesk1954 said:
Actually the "engine breaking" is a good thing (if you don't mind it)... as you could easily get over 100K out of your brake pads.
Yes, engine braking is your friend. I am approaching 70K on the stock pads. I was one of the lucky few to have missed the hanging e-brake.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
dhdenney said:
Yes, engine braking is your friend. I am approaching 70K on the stock pads. I was one of the lucky few to have missed the hanging e-brake.
now having nearly 7K on mine (and I was the originator of this thread)... my ONLY issue with the DSG is this. I'm a gentle braker most of the time. As a result, I find that I often get a PRONOUNCED shift into second (I originally thought it was first, but it's definitely second) when I'm slowing down, even when the brake is gently applied.

I do NOT find this is the case when I brake harder. I can't decide if there is a coorelation between how far the brake pedal is depressed (which perhaps moves the tranny into neutral) or is it purely based on the fact that we stop quickly and therefore don't have time to feel the shifts.

My point and concern being, is slower stopping actually creating more stress on the tranny than a quicker stop?

I usually get 100K on my brake pads, so historically my driving style has been advantage, but I'm beginning to rethink this.

Another thing i notice is that unless you come to a complete stop, the tranny stays in second, and you can hear it gently "slip" when you're taking off. Actually i wish leaving it in second was an option as it's MUCH smoother, since 1st gear shifts within nano seconds of taking off if the car is in Drive (versus Speed or manual)....

Any thoughts?

Wes

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The "stress" on the transmission from engine braking is a non-issue. There is a lot less stress on it during engine braking than during acceleration.

Your other nitpicks have to do with the way the transmission is programmed, and that can't be changed. If you don't like the shift points, shift it manually (within the bounds that it will allow).

At a certain point you just have to accept things as they are.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I suppose you're right, and I pretty much have accepted and found that I like the tranny. honestly I think a CVT would have made more sense, but if this proves reliable over the long haul, then you'll see me touting what a wonderful tranny it really is.

Wes

NMRJock

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta DSG
I have also noticed the very pronounced downshift that you're describing under gentle braking to a stop. It caught me off guard the first few times, but I'm used to it now. It's the only time I'm not incredibly impressed by the gearbox. The upshifts are very quick and smooth.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
100k on a set of pads...you guys need to learn how to have fun in your VW :p

Seriously though, between my current car and my last car, I've put about 60,000 miles on a DSG transmission and...

1. The DSG is never technically free-wheeling, meaning that a gear is always engaged and as long as you are moving, a clutch is always engaged as well.

2. You can feel the transmission downshifting as you come to a stop, but it should be barely noticeable. The exception possibly being the downshift from 1st to 2nd as you come to a complete stop. This is no different than if you were to select 1st gear in a manual transmission before actually coming to a stop, it's going to be a little clunky to get it into gear.

3. See #2.

4. I'm not sure what you're referring to by "grab" under acceleration, but depending on how hard you press on the accelerator from a stop will determine how fast the clutch engages. Ease into the accelerator and you'll get a fair amount of slip as the clutch smoothly engages. Press the accelerator down a fair amount and the clutch will engage faster.

wokwon

TDI
2007 Jetta TDI Graphite Blue
If I want good engine braking and smooth decelaration (e.g. freeway offramps) I drop the box into S mode. I get the most perfect downshifts (theres no way I could do it that smooth on a manual) and useful engine braking. The S mode downshifts are earlier than D as well for more engine braking.

Then back into D when the box is in second or I have stopped.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
wesk1954 said:
I have about 2500 miles on the clock in my new 09 TDI, and this is my first experience with the DSG tranny, so I've a few questions some of you can answer. I would particularly like to hear from 09 owners since I suspect the tranny is responding differently than in earlier versions.

Here's my questions:

1. When you are in 6th gear in "drive" and you take your foot off the accelerator, would you agree that the car is NOT free wheeling. In other words, the RPM'S stay up with the gear ratio?

2. Do you CLEARLY notice the car shifting when you're approaching a stop? Can you feel it upshifting?

3. Can you especially notice it shifting back into first gear when you slow down SLOWLY to complete stop? (It doesn't seem to be noticable on a quick stop)

4. Does it ever "grab" upon your initial acceleration?

The reason for these questions is that this tranny is a whole new experience for me, and while I'm fascinated as well as very pleased, I just want to make SURE mine is working as it should... in that I particularly notice the "shift" into first gear when approaching a stop.

Thanks to all,

Wes
#2, Downshifting is what you meant?

You will notice the car/engine/tranny will save your brakes if you anticipate the traffic flow.
Just go with it, and let off of the Accelerator pedal when you see brake lights ahead.