DSG shift knob re-install

tntdifan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Car is a 2006 Jetta with DSG.

I had to do my headliner (yuck), and as part of that job had to remove the center console, and as part of *that* job had to remove the shift handle. I put it back on, but now I can't do Tiptronic manual gear selection, nor can I go into "sports" mode. The handle just doesn't move that way. Any idea what I did wrong? The black collar on the shift handle goes in with the "pointy" end facing forward, right?

tntdifan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Update: I believe I put the knob back on with the lever in "D", but it was supposed to be in "S". The black collar has slid too far down on the shaft and it now interferes with the plastic housing when I try to select gears or shift into "S". I'll try it again tonight.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I've also replaced my headliner, but removing the shift handle was not necessary.

tntdifan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I think I figured this out. It's actually really easy once you know how. With the reverse button pulled all the way out of the gearshift, install the plastic locking collar on the bottom of the gearshift knob (not on the stalk!) It snaps on with gentle pressure twice, until it's flush against the bottom of the knob. (Bentley calls this "Position lock at upper stop position") Then slide the whole assembly onto the stalk until it bottoms out. Press gently down on the plastic collar until it snaps into lock.

Unfortunately, I broke my LED shift indicator lights trying to get it out. :mad:

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition