DSG Service

nicknack2

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SE & 06' TDI Jetta
Good afternoon all,
is there an alternate method for the final drain to achieve proper fluid level when changing the the oil on a DSG? (2015 Passat)
understanding a VAGCOM/electronics/apps are needed to measure temperature of the oil and/or having an infrared thermometer and measuring the oil's temp? or adding just what you drained?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
measure what you drain out, and place the same amount back in, you can fill via the filter port without much hassle more than a funnel and patience.

As for the temp its only what 30C-40C? that's not that hot at all. Cheap andriod ODB scanners such as Torque may give you false transmission temp readings, in torque they list coolant temp the same as transmission fluid temp, which it is not!

If i start the fluid change on a warmed up car, even after doing an oil change and DSG change it only takes idling the car a 1-2 min to get the new DSG fluid up to 30C to then start draining.

Also if you do the over fill and drain method make sure the engine (and DSG pumps are running) before you drain, if you get the fluid up to temp then shut the car off and then drain, you'll pullout an extra .5L that you shouldn't have,

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
make sure the engine (and DSG pumps are running) before you drain
If I may add further clarification: make sure the engine is running *AS* you drain.
To help, watch one or two YouTube videos of someone (hopefully competent) doing a DSG fill to get a sense of what the process is. HumbleMechanic recently did one - he probably does the best-produced VW videos I've come across: well edited, great camera work and lighting to show important details, cuts out a lot of the excess cruft, good explanations with good audio quality.
(No affiliation, but rather, it's just so hard to find well-done car-repair/maintenance videos that I want to highlight the good ones when I find them.)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Because that's the proper temperature.
35°C is what I've always seen (and used).

(See below)

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I may add further clarification: make sure the engine is running *AS* you drain.
Thanks that's much clearer.

Engine running, check temp, once up to temp dump extra fluid (while engine still running).

Opp sorry again about the fluid temp 35C vs 30C it's that big of a difference but maybe waiting for another 2-3 minutes on a warm car, that coolant loop through the DSG works great.

Ooga

TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
measure what you drain out, and place the same amount back in, you can fill via the filter port without much hassle more than a funnel and patience.

As for the temp its only what 30C-40C? that's not that hot at all. Cheap andriod ODB scanners such as Torque may give you false transmission temp readings, in torque they list coolant temp the same as transmission fluid temp, which it is not!

If i start the fluid change on a warmed up car, even after doing an oil change and DSG change it only takes idling the car a 1-2 min to get the new DSG fluid up to 30C to then start draining.

Also if you do the over fill and drain method make sure the engine (and DSG pumps are running) before you drain, if you get the fluid up to temp then shut the car off and then drain, you'll pullout an extra .5L that you shouldn't have,
Nailed it on the "patience" part. Im not sure how much a fluid pump for this job is but I will for sure be looking for one. I just did this job yesterday in about 50F weather. Im sure my neighbors were curious why I was a statue infront of my car for what felt like an hour.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Nailed it on the "patience" part. Im not sure how much a fluid pump for this job is but I will for sure be looking for one. I just did this job yesterday in about 50F weather. Im sure my neighbors were curious why I was a statue infront of my car for what felt like an hour.
What I did for mine is I bought a cheap hose kit off of eBay. Then I bought the cheapest garden sprayer that I could find. I attached the garden sprayer hose to the transmission fluid adapter. Filled the weed sprayer pressurize it up and let it buck. I also took the oil bottle and put it on my heat register while I was draining oil.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Warm fluid def helps.

You just described my brake power bleeder.