DSG or 5-speed?

Imarobot

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg 1
I'm about 3-4 weeks out from making my first TDI purchase and wanted to see what current owners pros/cons are for auto/manual on the 06 jetta's.

Currently I'm leaning heavily towards the manual for two reasons.
1)Price... saving 1k+ on the car is definitely a factor.
2)Enjoyment ... manual is just a little more engaging for the drive.

Are there any distinct advantages the auto has over the manual?
ie. Fuel economy, smoothness of ride.. etc.

thanks in advance for the input =)

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
From what I have read, you won't regret either choice. I suspect the price differential will be greater than $1k, since the DSG seems to be in short supply. If I were in the market for a new one, it would be a tough call- the deal to be had could push me either way.

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
If you like driving a manual the get the manual. There is NO SUBSTITUTE. The DSG is very good but it ain't no manual. We have a DSG because the wife can't drive a manual. It is better than a straight Tiptronic.
Fuel mileage is about the same.

McKades

We just got the DSG for one reason only. Because we live in the DC metropolitan area, we are likely to hit our fair share of traffic jams. For example, when we drive to Williamsburg to visit my brother, we often spend 60-90 minutes in bumper-to-bumper traffic. After a while, both my wife's and my knees start to rebel with all the clutch work. Overall, I liked both the manual and the DSG. If I did not have to sit in traffic from time to time, I would have gone with the manual.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Imarobot said:
I'm about 3-4 weeks out from making my first TDI purchase and wanted to see what current owners pros/cons are for auto/manual on the 06 jetta's.

Currently I'm leaning heavily towards the manual for two reasons.
1)Price... saving 1k+ on the car is definitely a factor.
2)Enjoyment ... manual is just a little more engaging for the drive.

Are there any distinct advantages the auto has over the manual?
ie. Fuel economy, smoothness of ride.. etc.

thanks in advance for the input =)
DSG all the way!

The Manual cannot keep up with it (in all respects).

Imarobot

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg 1
So far we have

1 - would go either way
1 - got dsg for convenience in traffic
1 - get manual if you like it
1 - get DSG cuz its better

I think that averages out to zero on the sway-o-meter... lol.

Really the more I think about it, and being totally honest with myself about my two options, I definitely like the manual tran more.

I should have titled this thread "DSG owners... try to turn me to the darkside" ... lol

Other than preference, to all the dsg owners, what solid benefits would you tout to someone on the fence about which way to go. Nebulous statements like "its better in all respects," though an honest response, doesn't give any substantative points to contemplate about.

thanks =)

5harkology

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG
I just purchased my a5 w/ DSG and love it. I was totally against automatics until I drove this car. We also have a 2005 5AT legacy GT, the shift response is so slow compared to the DSG. I honestly thought I'd never buy a car with an automatic transmission. I know everyone says this, but go test drive both before you buy, I think you'll be impressed with the DSG. All of my friends that drive very fast manual cars are in love with how fast this thing shifts.

Imarobot said:
So far we have

1 - would go either way
1 - got dsg for convenience in traffic
1 - get manual if you like it
1 - get DSG cuz its better

I think that averages out to zero on the sway-o-meter... lol.

Really the more I think about it, and being totally honest with myself about my two options, I definitely like the manual tran more.

I should have titled this thread "DSG owners... try to turn me to the darkside" ... lol

Other than preference, to all the dsg owners, what solid benefits would you tout to someone on the fence about which way to go. Nebulous statements like "its better in all respects," though an honest response, doesn't give any substantative points to contemplate about.

thanks =)

robrichtx

Veteran Member
TDI
Just the way this thing shifts is incredible. I prefer manuals for spirited driving, but I drive this car in heavy traffic here in Austin every day, and there is no way I am going shift that many times in 24 hrs.

The first thing I love about the DSG is the fact that it is a 6 speed. The shear number of gears means this thing is going to be constantly hunting for the best gear. From a stop, it is amazing how quickly and how frequently it changes gear. If you read up on the DSG, you'll find that it has two clutches and generally engages two gears at once. The shift itself is lightening quick, and it actually feels like a manual.

I took Randy (Mach1) out for a ride in mine, and he was impressed with how it drove.

Bottom line - I think there is a stong tendency to think that whatever you own is the best (people want to validate the correctness of their choices). I wanted a manual, could not get one and settled for a DSG. What I found was a great transmission that I otherwise would have passed up.

Take one out for a test drive, see for yourself. Worst case scenario, you'll find out it is not the right transmission for you.

Good Luck -

Rob

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Wife's '06 has a DSG and its spectacular. Shifting is so fast, there is no way a human could match that performance and smoothness all at once. Plus, I think the DSG gets better mileage, am I correct?

Imarobot

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Thanks for all the replies =)

I've found from past experiences that test drives of cars aren't a very good gauge for how they operate under daily use for me, thats why I came here to get the word from the proverbial "horses mouth" from other folks who are using it regularly ;)

I guess my last question would be what your impression of its perfomance in "manual" mode is like... does it give that manual feel... or is it just something for someone with ADD to play with while they're driving?

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
I've driven manuals and automatics, and I have put 161,000 miles on a Caravan auto, trans still running head gasket blew, 107,000 and still going on a TransPort with filter and fluid changes about 30,000 miles. Any manuals I have owned have needed clutch replacement before 100,000 miles. The automatics just keep going. My DSG is very nice, and I'm hoping the durability is there. The manuals I owned never broke, but the clutches wear out, the harder you use them, the quicker they go. I had an 80 Rabbit with a manual, didn't have any trouble with it, but I only put about 30,000 miles on it since the wife couldn"t drive a manual and it got real old having to move it to let the wife get her car out instead of her taking the Rabbit. Does anyone have a manual that went 161,000 without a clutch replacement?

Beta

Veteran Member
TDI
87 syncro westy alh
230k miles on an original 89 jetta clutch. Car was driven hard, lots of track days, moderate mods, before an untimely end on a snowy road. My roomate has 205 on a subaru legacy with original clutch. It's all about how you use it. Clutches and transmissions last a lot longer if you're smooth, double clutch every down shift, and wait for the gears on the upshift.

It might be very very difficult to uprate dsg clutches to hold engine mods!

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
It's a shame to class the DSG as an 'automatic' since it's really a robotically-controlled manual, with an automatic mode.

And since there are no apparent downsides, I would jump at the chance to own one of coolest automotive technologies to come out in decades.

Last edited:

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
I actually prefer a manual in slow-moving traffic. You can match the speed of most traffic by just letting the car idle in whatever gear gets you that speed. You just kinda hang back a bit and let the car go. You can't do that with an automatic.

Smokepedal

TDI
2003 Golf
My 2 cents....

I'm also looking at an '06 in the next month or so. As I tend to keep my cars forever, I'm leaning towards the manual, hoping that it will be easier and cheaper to maintain a few 100k miles down the road. (My '87 GTI had 270k miles on the original clutch when I sold it). The DSG is really great, but I don't need to make the TDI more complex than it already is.

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
I am glad I got the DSG, but it seems like I'm noticing that the people posting the best mpg numbers are driving manuals -- despite the claim that DSG is supposed to get the same (or better).

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
DRbillZ said:
I actually prefer a manual in slow-moving traffic. You can match the speed of most traffic by just letting the car idle in whatever gear gets you that speed. You just kinda hang back a bit and let the car go. You can't do that with an automatic.
In Portland area traffic, sometimes I wish for a 6th gear that is geared lower than first gear. Manuals are great and all, but when everyone on the freeway is creeping along riding their brakes doing 1-4 mph, 1st gear is waaaaaay too tall of a gear, and I end up doing a series of partial clutch engagements...which can't be exactly good for a clutch.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
DRbillZ said:
Right, you cannot do that with an Automatic.
You can do it with a DSG though.

Dan_P

TDI
First time VW and TDI owner as of 1/4/06
Converted Manual Bigot

For my personal vehicle, I haven't bought a manual transmission - ever. Because I read the technical details of the DSG, I wasn't opposed to the idea, and at the time I was ready to purchase it was all that was available.

I don't regret it at all - and in fact am very pleased that I went DSG rather than manual.

It is a rather complex piece of engineering, so I'm hoping that it keeps working so well.

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Tim Birney said:
Right, you cannot do that with an Automatic.
You can do it with a DSG though.
I will try it and see how it does. I haven't experimented with our car much(I've driven it like 2 whole days). But what I have noticed with the DSG is that it will just sit there unless you hit the gas: ie: you can't just let it roll without touching anything. Then that takes pushing the gas and using the brake where a manual you can just manipulate your speed with the clutch and gear selection.

But for those considering tranmissions just drive both and see what you like best. I stand by my word however. Any automatic is NOT a manual, even the DSG. There are so many things you can do having a clutch available to your use that you can't hope to think of doing with an automatic. For those that know how to USE a clutch and gears it is such an advantage in many instances that it out performs an automatic hands-down. HOWEVER if you don't know the ins and outs of clutch and gear use then it is of no benefit to you and possibly a detriment.

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta-sold
I bought the manual, it was what I wanted. I don't deal with alot of stop and go where your creeping along at 5-10mph though. I am happy with my decision, my car is the base car (not a single option).

whitelite777

Veteran Member
Imarobot said:
Thanks for all the replies =)

I've found from past experiences that test drives of cars aren't a very good gauge for how they operate under daily use for me, thats why I came here to get the word from the proverbial "horses mouth" from other folks who are using it regularly ;)

I guess my last question would be what your impression of its perfomance in "manual" mode is like... does it give that manual feel... or is it just something for someone with ADD to play with while they're driving?
I think you're getting the "cart before the horse", unless you drive the car for yourself you aren't going to know. The proverbial 'horses mouth" approach is good but no substitute.

I was all set for a manual but after driving the DSG, no way was the manual going to make it. Fast shifts, same or better milage, sport mode, cutting edge teck, best trans on the market anywhere. The DSG rocks!

Lowell

Imarobot

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg 1
thanks for the great input all =)

Yes, a test drive is something that is in order... however, one 10 minute drive is not enough for me to really gauge an opinion on going in cold. Thats just a personal thing... and thats why I asked here to see what people had to say. Now when I go to the dealer on thursday I'll be able to sit down behind the wheel with a subset of ideas to test/check out based on what everyone here has said.

Thanks again, I'll let ya'll know what I thought after my test drives on thursday ;)

01tj

Veteran Member
TDI
not yet
We were in the same situation as you a while back. I drove some DSG equiped cars but for me as you said there is no substitute for a 3 peddle stick. We drove a 3.2 TT with paddle shift DSG and it was definitly better than an auto but still not as fun for me. I'd take it over an auto any day though, it's cutting edge and shifts better than even I can :) even revmatching for down shifts but then again its more fun for me to shift. Whats the point in knowing how to revmatch if the car does it for you. As for setting in traffic the clutch is so light of our TDI that it really doesnt feel much different than putting my foot on the floor. If I am setting @ a long light I just take it out of gear.

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
I'm sure the same conversations have ensued as every automotive innovation has come along. Many UK cars still had manual chokes in the 80's as the motoring public still did not trust the automatic variety.

I can't even buy a manual Golf/Jetta TDI downunder - only DSG's are sold. The writing is on the wall.

With all our manual shifting skills aquired from decades of experience, the only thing they will be good for in the future is relating to your grandchildren to the days when we had a stick going through the floor that actually moved things around in a box of gears.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
farfrumsanity said:
Does anyone have a manual that went 161,000 without a clutch replacement?
We are the original owners of a 1993 Saturn SL2 with a 5-speed manual transmission. The odometer is currently at 164,847 miles. The clutch is original and shows no signs of slipping.

We also had a 1996 Saturn SC2 with a 5-speed manual transmission which I bought used from the first owner. We got the odometer to 156,967 miles. The clutch was original and would slip a bit under heavy acceleration.

Lastly we had a 1989 Honda Civic LX sedan with a 5-speed manual transmission that my wife bought new. Right before reaching 150,000 miles we sold it to one of my co-workers. The clutch was fine. But he said he had to replace the clutch at 180,000 miles.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
My wife and I both enjoy manual transmissions and automatic transmissions, while most people have a strong preference for one transmission over the other.

We chose a manual transmission when we bought our 2005.5 NewJetta in early September 2005 because we really wanted a 2005.5 over a 2006 model, the 2006 models were already out, there weren't many 2005.5 model choices on the dealer lots, and we didn't see any 2005.5 DSG models. So we went with the manual transmission. No regrets.

From what I have read in various places, the DSG transmission is really nice and I probably would have chosen it had we found a 2005.5 NewJetta DSG and done a test drive with it.

From past experience with other cars I have found the following to not be uncommon with manual transmission cars:
  • A manual transmission meant a lower purchase price for the car.
  • A manual transmission meant less weight on the car, so the fuel economy was better and the acceleration was better. However, this is no longer always true!
  • A manual transmission required less maintenance than an automatic transmission.
  • A manual transmission car gave the sensation of being in more control when driving on slippery snow, slush, and the like. Of course there are other more important variables for this such as the characteristics of the tires.
  • A car with a manual transmission was less attractive to car thieves as not all of them knew how to drive it, and it was less attractive to prospective car shoppers when trying to sell it again because not all drivers know how to drive them.
So in conclusion I'd say drive a NewJetta with both types of transmissions. If you still can't decide but the price difference between the two transmissions (about $1,075 I believe) does not bankrupt you, then simply go with the DSG transmission.

spelchek

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Golf 2.0l TDI
I'd say get neither.. INSIST on the 6 speed manual :D

PS.. its a really sweet box.. I still cant beleive its not offered in US .. ,my sincere condolences yankee types :(

JGordon

TDI
Jetta 2006 White DSG 53.75 all time high 43.5-44.5 average
My wife has a 06 TDI with a DSG and all I have to say about it is it’s spectacular. I know there are a lot of manual transmission fans out there that wouldn’t have anything else, but they have to drive them not me.
The sticker said the DSG would get either 1 or 2 mpg better than the stick but I after having the DSG I wouldn’t trade for the manual if it got worse mileage.
It’s nice to be able to drink my coffee without having to set it down to shift all the time. I do that enough in my F-250 and Dodge CTD.
If you don’t mind shifting all the time get the one you like. But the DSG has been the best auto shifting transmission I have ever owned and I love having six gears to keep it in the torque curve.