DSG oil change

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Right Don. You can do it either way but you still ended up with the same amount I get. I'm just saying my way is 1. Neater. 2. Just about as fast. 3. wastes less fluid. 4. wastes less $$.

TDICrazier

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
i just done with fluid change, jasontdi was exactly right - before removing snorkel, it came out not just a little, actually quite a bit - about half a liter. removing snorkel brought out remaining. overall fluid come out was 4.5l. replaced with new filter and top filled with 4.6l. done.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
i just done with fluid change, jasontdi was exactly right - before removing snorkel, it came out not just a little, actually quite a bit - about half a liter. removing snorkel brought out remaining. overall fluid come out was 4.5l. replaced with new filter and top filled with 4.6l. done.
Yep, 4.6l is about what I ended up adding to my DSG:

- (4.5l + filter out) + (4.7l via top) - (about 0.1l out when level check) = about 4.6l remaining in the DSG.

vwjettatdimkvi

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Sedan
DSG Oil Change...

This is great information but just a little scattered between everyone's views and comments and not all in one place. It also differs a little from the factory recommendation of draining and putting in 5.5 liters of oil into the trans. and then going by trans temp.

I personally have a 2011 Jetta TDI w/DSG and this is something that's already coming up for me and I really want to do myself but its a mighty expensive transmission to do something wrong as well. I very experienced in this and have done allot of automotive work like this in the past, just want to get it right the first time. So let me recap what I believe I have read in this post, please correct me if I have miss- interpreted something wrong. Seems very easy to do and straight forward as long as the procedure is correct.

Step 1: With car engine warn, put car is on jack stands and remove underside skid plate.
Step 2: Remove air cleaner housing and filter and maybe the battery and battery-box. Then remove the trans-filter cap and trans oil filter element from top of transmission.
Step 3: From under the car remove trans inspection plug and plastic overflow snorkel and let transmission oil completely drain out. Then replace overflow snorkel and trans inspection plug using new seal when done. Replace skid plate and car can be lowered from jack stands to garage floor.
Step 4: Add 4.7 liters (this is a little unclear as to exact amount) of recommended VW DSG trans fluid into the top of DSGs transmission oil filter housing, then install new trans oil filter, and cap with new o-ring gasket. Finish by replacing the battery box and air filter box and your done!!!

This sounds to me as being very complete with the exception of the amount of oil... did I miss something. Hopefully this helps document the procedure.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
This is great information but just a little scattered between everyone's views and comments and not all in one place. It also differs a little from the factory recommendation of draining and putting in 5.5 liters of oil into the trans. and then going by trans temp.

I personally have a 2011 Jetta TDI w/DSG and this is something that's already coming up for me and I really want to do myself but its a mighty expensive transmission to do something wrong as well. I very experienced in this and have done allot of automotive work like this in the past, just want to get it right the first time. So let me recap what I believe I have read in this post, please correct me if I have miss- interpreted something wrong. Seems very easy to do and straight forward as long as the procedure is correct.

Step 1: With car engine warn, put car is on jack stands and remove underside skid plate.
Step 2: Remove air cleaner housing and filter and maybe the battery and battery-box. Then remove the trans-filter cap and trans oil filter element from top of transmission.
Step 3: From under the car remove trans inspection plug and plastic overflow snorkel and let transmission oil completely drain out. Then replace overflow snorkel and trans inspection plug using new seal when done. Replace skid plate and car can be lowered from jack stands to garage floor.
Step 4: Add 4.7 liters (this is a little unclear as to exact amount) of recommended VW DSG trans fluid into the top of DSGs transmission oil filter housing, then install new trans oil filter, and cap with new o-ring gasket. Finish by replacing the battery box and air filter box and your done!!!

This sounds to me as being very complete with the exception of the amount of oil... did I miss something. Hopefully this helps document the procedure.

1 The car has to be level to check fluid levels( This is done on the bottom)
2 You fill it from the bottom.( You can do it from the top)

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
1 The car has to be level to check fluid levels( This is done on the bottom)
2 You fill it from the bottom.( You can do it from the top)
Wrong and wrong. He is performing a top fill. No checking fluid levels, wasting fluid, no need for VCDS or some BS fill tool.

This procedure looks fine. I'll verify when I do my 40k in a few weeks....minus $500 worth of software, cables, and hoses.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Wrong and wrong. He is performing a top fill. No checking fluid levels, wasting fluid, no need for VCDS or some BS fill tool.

This procedure looks fine. I'll verify when I do my 40k in a few weeks....minus $500 worth of software, cables, and hoses.

With the top fill you are just guessing.You save very little time from the top fill.Just change the filter first then jack up the car level now you check the fluid level. Yes you can do it with out VCDS.

vwjettatdimkvi

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Sedan
I think I may grit my teeth and have my dealer do my first one as to not effect may warranty. My second one at 80K won't really matter at that point. The one thing I worry about is my dealer actually doing the trans service. I already caught them skipping an oil change... yeah, when I brought my car in for its first 10K oil change the dealer completed it and it had a change sticker on my window and everything. Since I usually change my own oil, when I got home I double checked the oil level and found the oil was pure dirty black and I noticed the oil filter housing was still dusty. Called the dealers service manager and he swore they changed the oil, brought the car back in and they ended up doing a supposedly second oil change just to please me. this time it was finally done... Free oil service, RIGHT!! So just a little worried about the dealer even doing this time-consuming DSG service as I just do not trust them.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I think I may grit my teeth and have my dealer do my first one as to not effect may warranty. My second one at 80K won't really matter at that point. The one thing I worry about is my dealer actually doing the trans service. I already caught them skipping an oil change... yeah, when I brought my car in for its first 10K oil change the dealer completed it and it had a change sticker on my window and everything. Since I usually change my own oil, when I got home I double checked the oil level and found the oil was pure dirty black and I noticed the oil filter housing was still dusty. Called the dealers service manager and he swore they changed the oil, brought the car back in and they ended up doing a supposedly second oil change just to please me. this time it was finally done... Free oil service, RIGHT!! So just a little worried about the dealer even doing this time-consuming DSG service as I just do not trust them.
Do your research on your dealer options. There are more dealers in the Chicago area. Or just go to a guru, as long as you have documentation that it was completed that will be enough if any warranty concern is ever brought up in the future.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
TDI oil is black very soon after an oil change. that is the way it is.

NewVWFanatic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 2 Automatic
Will the VCDS tell me if the transmission fluid level is correct? I just did the service last weekend. I changed the filter and drained it cold from the bottom. Only 3.5 liters came out. I was not comfortable with the amount that drained out after following procedure in the manual and worried I am low on fluid. 112k miles and no shifting issues that I can tell after commuting this week, but I am now considering adding some fluid from the top.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Will the VCDS tell me if the transmission fluid level is correct? I just did the service last weekend. I changed the filter and drained it cold from the bottom. Only 3.5 liters came out. I was not comfortable with the amount that drained out after following procedure in the manual and worried I am low on fluid. 112k miles and no shifting issues that I can tell after commuting this week, but I am now considering adding some fluid from the top.

Vcds will not tell you if the trans is low on fluid.Did you take snorkel out when you drain the fluid.Was the car level?

NewVWFanatic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 2 Automatic
Yes. After snorkel was removed got the remaining fluid out. Car was level. This is really a bad system. I don't know why a dipstick could not have been included with the design with hot and cold markers like any other car or truck I have owned.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Yes. After snorkel was removed got the remaining fluid out. Car was level. This is really a bad system. I don't know why a dipstick could not have been included with the design with hot and cold markers like any other car or truck I have owned.
I've read that German engineers do things this way just because they can, and not because they have too.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
^^ Some of them finally went back to a dipstick to check oil....^^ I think there were to many low oil issues.

Blackbird235

TDI
Passat cc Tdi CR 2.0 DSG 6 model 2010
Dear Readers,

My name is Amir, i'm a newbie member in tdiclub.com from Tunisia. I was searching for a guide to change my DSG 6speed oil because i reached 40,000M. I have a passat cc 2.0 tdi CR DSG 6 model 2010. I saw the discussion about dsg oil change then intended to write you to get some infos about the top fill method if you would.
My DSG 02E has a volume of 7,2 litr, i saw your post about filling 4.6 in all cases without warming the car ( is that true for the quantity and heating the Dsg ??)
Would you confirm the oil volume to add and which will be drained from the 02E DSG because i hesitate about the amount of my car! I saw a post about someone who get 3.5L drained! I'm affraid to do it and get more than 4.5L, some other postes said that they drained 5.5 L. Would you please clarify these infos for me and how to diy by filling from filter house and please the details about warming or not the DSG! The time if warming! It Would be wise from you to get the hile checklist.

Thank you much
Cordially

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Dear Readers,

My name is Amir, i'm a newbie member in tdiclub.com from Tunisia. I was searching for a guide to change my DSG 6speed oil because i reached 40,000M. I have a passat cc 2.0 tdi CR DSG 6 model 2010. I saw the discussion about dsg oil change then intended to write you to get some infos about the top fill method if you would.
My DSG 02E has a volume of 7,2 litr, i saw your post about filling 4.6 in all cases without warming the car ( is that true for the quantity and heating the Dsg ??)
Would you confirm the oil volume to add and which will be drained from the 02E DSG because i hesitate about the amount of my car! I saw a post about someone who get 3.5L drained! I'm affraid to do it and get more than 4.5L, some other postes said that they drained 5.5 L. Would you please clarify these infos for me and how to diy by filling from filter house and please the details about warming or not the DSG! The time if warming! It Would be wise from you to get the hile checklist.

Thank you much
Cordially

First the car has to be level.To drain the trans take out the drain plug and over the flow snorkel.Now fill the tran (with overflow snorkel back in) with approximately 5.5 liters from the bottom with the fill tool still hook up.The warm up the trans to temp to (95* to 113*). Now just pull off the fill tool and let the fluid flow out.Put the plug back in when it stops flowing out.The trans filter is on top and you have to pull the battery.

Good luck

Blackbird235

TDI
Top fill method

First the car has to be level.To drain the trans take out the drain plug and over the flow snorkel.Now fill the tran (with overflow snorkel back in) with approximately 5.5 liters from the bottom with the fill tool still hook up.The warm up the trans to temp to (95* to 113*). Now just pull off the fill tool and let the fluid flow out.Put the plug back in when it stops flowing out.The trans filter is on top and you have to pull the battery.

Good luck
Thank you for your reply! But i'm interesting in the top fill method and mostly the fine details because i'll do it by myself! Like the dsg temperature if it's important and other infos mentionned in my post..thank you as much as possible :)

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Thank you for your reply! But i'm interesting in the top fill method and mostly the fine details because i'll do it by myself! Like the dsg temperature if it's important and other infos mentionned in my post..thank you as much as possible :)

The top method is not best way to the job.You still have to check the fluid( with a level car) on the bottom to make sure it full.Just replace the filter on top first then put the car on 4 jack stands and do it the right way.

Blackbird235

TDI
Dsg top fill

Yep, 4.6l is about what I ended up adding to my DSG:

- (4.5l + filter out) + (4.7l via top) - (about 0.1l out when level check) = about 4.6l remaining in the DSG.
0.1l out when level check was done by vag com cable and checking the transmition temperature ? Or just having the car level and starting engine and waiting for 0.1l to drain ?

Blackbird235

TDI
Dsg top fill

Would you mind writing the full steps in details? And should i warm the transmission by driving 300 yards or have to start the car for 2 min as said before in the posts or just leaving the car level to cool as i'll drive to the service station for 15 km to reach it ? I'm confused as i sent you a private msg..thanks:confused:

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Would you mind writing the full steps in details?
Drive car to normal operating temp.

Remove air box.

Remove battery and tray.

Remove belly pan.

Remove tran filter cap and filter.

Remove bottom drain plug.

Remove plastic snorkel inside drain hole by unscrewing. 4.6L +/- will drain.

Reinstall plastic snorkel.

Reinstall drain plug

Use funnel to pour 4.6L of new fluid into filter housing.

Install new filter and gaskets.

Reinstall tran filter cap.

Reinstall battery and tray.

Reinstall air box.

Reinstall belly pan.

DONE. No tools, software, esoteric procedures.

There is a write up somewhere that gives tool sizes, torque values, etc.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Drive car to normal operating temp.

Remove air box.

Remove battery and tray.

Remove belly pan.

Remove tran filter cap and filter.

Remove bottom drain plug.

Remove plastic snorkel inside drain hole by unscrewing. 4.6L +/- will drain.

Reinstall plastic snorkel.

Reinstall drain plug

Use funnel to pour 4.6L of new fluid into filter housing.

Install new filter and gaskets.

Reinstall tran filter cap.

Reinstall battery and tray.

Reinstall air box.

Reinstall belly pan.

DONE. No tools, software, esoteric procedures.

There is a write up somewhere that gives tool sizes, torque values, etc.

Doing the job this way.There is no way to know if the trans overfilled or under filled.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Doing the job this way.There is no way to know if the trans overfilled or under filled.
How about:

drain fluid out and catch what you remove. Then let it go to room temperature. Measure the amount you took out after its at room temp. Put in the exact amount of new fluid which s at room temperature using the top fill method. You can't miss this way.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
How about:

drain fluid out and catch what you remove. Then let it go to room temperature. Measure the amount you took out after its at room temp. Put in the exact amount of new fluid which s at room temperature using the top fill method. You can't miss this way.

I guess you could do that way.The point I was making.They put in a overflow snorkel to make the job easier and there is no second guessing if it's full or not.Sure It's a pain to put the car on jack stands you can do the job on jack stands.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I agree that it would be better to put the extra fluid in, get running to temp, run through he gears, and use the snorkel to set the level. this further dilutes the fluid remaining, and does set the level as designed. what will you do with the extra .4 l anyway, save it for the next time?

if you don't care so much, and neglect any wear/leakage which could modify level, it probably is ok. close enough.

Blackbird235

TDI
If i remove the battery,sure will get the steering wheel after installing, but i think mirrors,memory radio etc will be lost !is that right ?