DSG Leak From Mechatronics Unit

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I noticed a couple oil spots in my driveway so decided I should take a peek beneath the car. Upon doing so, I could see a light golden colored oily fluid on the lower front and underside of the DSG. I traced the leak to where I suspect it to be coming from, and it seems like it is the cover for the mechatronics unit of the gearbox.

Has anyone had any issues with leaks in that area? My dealer stocks a gasket for around $12, but I don't want to tear into it if I might screw something up. Is there any way to repair the leak with some sort of sealant and keep the mechatronics cover and DSG fluid intact? I was planning to keep the car and get the fix but, seeing how VW is dragging its heals to propose one, I'm leaning heavier and heavier toward the buyback each day that passes...

Thanks.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Well, I feel a little embarassed. After my original posting, I crawled back under the car and found one of the mechatronics cover bolts to be loose (the bottom right bolt to be exact). I was able to snug it firmly with 3/4 - 1 full turn. I see no reason to expect any further leak from that area in the near future.

It's amazing how reliant I/we've become on the internet for guidance...

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Anyone that has tried to seal a leaking gasket knows it's a waste of time. IF you've located the leak, the only solution is replacement of the gasket.

As for VW "...dragging its heals..." to propose a fix, it is my opinion that they are quite probably working 24/7 to solve the issue. The sooner they have a fix, the sooner they can start returning the buyback cars to the market...my opinion, of course.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If tightening the bolt stopped the leak, you're good to go. If the leak persists, replace the gasket. Don't try to use some sort of external sealant, as that is not a good long-term solution.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I hope these buybacks are brought to the used market, would love a 15 ea288

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I hope these buybacks are brought to the used market, would love a 15 ea288
I'm not sure the new engine is really any better than the CKRA. It's more complex than before and introduces several more failure points that didn't exist before. There's also the issue of it being a unicorn, only having a very short one-year life in the USA before VW stopped the TDI program due to Dieselgate. To me, this means parts could be scarce and the knowledge base for DIYers will be smaller.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I'm not sure the new engine is really any better than the CKRA. It's more complex than before and introduces several more failure points that didn't exist before. There's also the issue of it being a unicorn, only having a very short one-year life in the USA before VW stopped the TDI program due to Dieselgate. To me, this means parts could be scarce and the knowledge base for DIYers will be smaller.
^^^^^^

Yes. And this is exactly the reason why we didn't buy a 2010 SAAB 9-5. It was another unicorn, the car was a completely revamped model of the 9-5, and it didn't even last one model year- GM stopped the assembly line partway in, and shut SAAB down. So, whether it's parts, a base of maintenance know-how, or DIY, it all added up to NO/NO/NO, even though we could have bought a new car with a $43K sticker for half of that.
Don't want anything to do with an EA288 car.