DSG flywheel torque

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
I'm finding information (not on here) that the flywheel (DMF) bolt torque for 2012 Jetta/DSG transmission is 60 Nm +90°
These are M10 bolts, roughly equivalent to a 3/8.... man that sounds crazy high. If anyone has a SM can you pls confirm or correct this so I can finish this job.....

Thank you.

P.S. I ordered a 24 subscription from erWin but was told it may take one buisiness day to be able to access, not including weekends. So it may be Monday before I have access.....grrrr

Last edited:

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
I've gotten a few service manuals from this site. Don't have 2012 Jetta, just ALH & CAVA (manual trans).
My experience is nearly instant, can't imagine you'd be waiting days for it.
https://www.factory-manuals(dot)com/volkswagen-32

No personal experience purchasing from this site but it was the source of a few manuals a buddy I was helping got to inform a non OE swap he was doing, electrical diags were very complete and clear rendering.
www.repairsurge(dot)com

Last edited:

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
I did get access to it. Wasn't sure by the way they have it worded on their website.

For anyone else looking that comes across this, the torque spec I listed above is indeed correct. It felt WAY over torqued
Getting the last 45° of the sequence.
I remember thinking the same thing when torquing a set of head bolts on an old air cooled Deutz diesel engine. I swore each of them were gonna break....that engine is still running, 20+ years later.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Alot of people think its high but they gotta remember, with the crazy vibration of a diesel engine, Ive seen some bolts back out when they werent torqued correctly.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The flywheel bolts are a fairly fine thread pitch, so +90° isn't quite as "heavy" as it'd be on, e.g., M12x1.75 transmission-->block bolts.

But still, you want to have some room to brace yourself and gain some leverage.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
But still, you want to have some room to brace yourself and gain some leverage.
I almost forgot I had the flywheel locking tool from when I replaced the clutch/flywheel on my 01 several years ago. It took a minute to find it, makes this job so much easier.

Got it back together and went for a short 10 mile drive last night. Smooth and quiet again.

I found that removing the passenger side CV flange from the transmission allows the transmission to drop right out without removing the subframe. You need a long 6mm Allen socket to do this.

cuttyshark

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI SEL with Fender Sound System
I found that removing the passenger side CV flange from the transmission allows the transmission to drop right out without removing the subframe. You need a long 6mm Allen socket to do this.
Do i need to drain the fluid when doing that? Or does it stay in?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Definitely drain the fluid (encourages doing a fluid change, too - no specified change interval, but you'll be astonished at the difference between what you drain out (brown guck) vs. what you put in (honey-coloured)).

cuttyshark

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI SEL with Fender Sound System
Definitely drain the fluid (encourages doing a fluid change, too - no specified change interval, but you'll be astonished at the difference between what you drain out (brown guck) vs. what you put in (honey-coloured)).
my fluid was just changed. Its still honey. i took mine out last week and i am still having problems starting it. I am wondering if I put the transmission in wrong somehow and the flywheel wont turn. started another thread of my own.

anyhow. I torqued the flywheel bolts using the spec I found on one of the vendors and a torque wrench. I used new bolts too.

Invig

TDI
Mk5 Jetta BKD
my fluid was just changed. Its still honey. i took mine out last week and i am still having problems starting it. I am wondering if I put the transmission in wrong somehow and the flywheel wont turn. started another thread of my own.

anyhow. I torqued the flywheel bolts using the spec I found on one of the vendors and a torque wrench. I used new bolts too.
What were the specs you used?