DSG Fluid Leak

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 2005.5 Jetta A4 2003 Jetta
Tracing a dsg fluid leak found this:
[/url][/IMG]
The filter is completely crushed but the filter housing and o-ring are in good condition?

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
Ouch. What is the tranni's service history? done quite a few and never saw filter colapse.

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
250k serviced 3 times including when I replaced the dmf...no other trouble and no driving symptoms just found a leak at last oil change

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Just a guess mind you.....
The filter was not seated properly and it was crushed as the cap was forcefully screwed on but not to the point of sealing the o-ring. Maybe the situation was corrected but the same filter used figuring it is still OK. Could be a hairline crack in the cap....don't know how you are assessing its condition.

That filter would have to be seriously clogged for the hydraulics to collapse it.
Any signs of that? weird fluid? thick film on the element?

OR-
A crack in the DSG case. I just witnessed one that came in that was later replaced by the VW dealership. Manufacturing defect on a 40K mile NMS Passat.
This does not explain the crushed filter so I am inclined to think the first scenario is what happened.

Last edited:

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
We called some gurus and learned that vw had a run of slightly mis-dimensioned o-rings. We did a complete dsg service and cleaned all of the oil off the motor and subframe and will drive a little and inspect until I am confident that no other issue needs attention....then I will do what was originally planned, a total suspension rehab

Diesel126

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI DSG / 2006 Jetta TDI DSG / 2011 Touareg TDI Executive
Here is pooling adjacent to the filter housing.
[/url][/IMG]
The pooling outside the filter housing was an early sign that my DSG was failing. Not sure about the crushed filter but my filter was dark gray in color when it should have been golden in color same as the fluid. The dark gray color was ground metal I could see small flakes on the filter element. The filter gets clogged with ground metal and can not flow freely causing fluid to over flow the canister housing. I saw these signs during 2 DSG fluid changes. DSG eventually was making so much grinding noise like nails on a chalk board that it was changed. The filter was completly clogged with metal and over flowing housing again the DSG fluid was glittering with metal. DSG had 285,000 miles serviced every 40,000

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
250k and doing 3 times dsg service is = every 80k dsg service.
DSG service need to be done every 40k, so you should do it at least 6 times in 250k.

Last edited:

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
250k and doing 3 times dsg service is = every 80k dsg service.
DSG service need to be done every 40k, so you should do it at least 6 times in 250k.
You are quite right but my dealer assured me that it never needed to be serviced and I only went to dealer until warranty ran out. I did correct the service manager of the proper service cycle and received a free service....at 90K. Each 10K I took it to the dealer and requested"do the x mileage service" I have done it myself thereafter at the appropriate times.

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
I just did my 40K service interval today and I noticed the New VW DSG filter has a plastic shroud now on the outside....makes a person wonder if VW knew some of these filters were collapsing from poor mx (not properly seating it correctly).