DSG Cold Start - Nearing Service Interval

mcclurken

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
This is more of an annoyance/curiosity than a problem, so far. When it is even the least bit chilly out the DSG feels sluggish until it heats up. The severity of it depends on how cold. Today it was in the 40s(F) and I noticed it. I've seen this in the cold since I got the car 1.5yrs ago. It doesn't even get that cold here typically but the behavior starts about 50F. Shifts are a little delayed in the lower gears and I'd swear I can 'feel' the thick viscosity of the transmission fluid though I could very well be imagining that. I know this is natural and normal behavior and I've experienced it on a number of cars I've owned/driven. The question then is this... I'm at 35k nearing 36k right now so the DSG service interval is coming up. Has anyone noticed better cold operation after a DSG service? Does the fluid behavior change over time? I didn't drive that much before the pandemic and hardly leave the house now so I will probably get the service done before I hit 40K, maybe next spring. I had a BMW with a slushbox auto and noticed better cold characteristics after a fluid/filter change so my assumption would be a DSG would be similar but the two transmission types have little in common other than being transmissions that use a fluid instead of an oil.

I bought a gas truck a few months ago and usually take that for super short trips now and leave the VW for longer trips. I love my sportwagen and want it to last a long time. Curious what other folks have seen with their DSGs. Thanks! Chris

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
I have the Kerma ECU and DSG tunes. Not cheap, but it definitely makes the DSG behave like a "normal" auto with respect to feel and response.

mcclurken

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
I have the Kerma ECU and DSG tunes. Not cheap, but it definitely makes the DSG behave like a "normal" auto with respect to feel and response.
Kerma's ECU mod is on my short list and I plan to get it sometime. I've been very interested in the DSG mod as well but since I can't easily take the mod off any time I want/need I'm not sure I want to do it. I don't really hate the stock operation of the transmission either and I find the sport mode pretty good when I don't want to stop-1st hesitation. I've been holding off on either mod until I get the scheduled DSG service since I plan to pay the dealer for that and this thing has all the CPO and Dieselgate warranties. So, really, the annoyance I have is just the cold weather operation primarily. In mild to hot weather its fine. Not to say the transmission makes all the right moves all the time, it doesn't, but it probably makes fewer crappy shifts than I do with a manual. What I'm still curious about is what kind of difference new fluid will bring and if others report a big difference I'll probably go ahead and get the DSG serviced and then get Kerma's ECU tune with any expected maintenance out of the way.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
From what I’ve read about our DSG transmissions a service should help, but you may want to discuss a DSG Adaptation with your dealer or preferred service shop as well.

PSA: DSG Adaptation and you