DSG Auto DMF Failing or Failures Thread

rgeier11

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have a 2006 Jetta TDI with the DSG transmission. I was getting on the highway and accelerating (maybe 40% throttle). The transmission immediately slipped and I had no forward gears, no reverse, and a loud whine coming from the trans. I'm praying that its the DMF and not the actual trans.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a 2006 Jetta TDI with the DSG transmission. I was getting on the highway and accelerating (maybe 40% throttle). The transmission immediately slipped and I had no forward gears, no reverse, and a loud whine coming from the trans. I'm praying that its the DMF and not the actual trans.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Step 1: remove transmission.

I suspect stripped splines on the DMF, but in some cases, it also trashes the unput shaft which is part of the clutch repair kit. Both easily replaced.

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
I believe I am starting to hear this noise on my car now. I have been looking for the part needed online, but I am royally confused.
It seems that the 2006 and 2009+ vehicles use a different flywheel, the one for the 2009 (which I have) is about $200 more expensive. However, some vendors list them as interchangeable, some vendors do not list one for 2009+ at all, only for 2006, and some say that they are not the same. But I saw this forum post: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads/where-to-buy-dsg-parts-dmf-for-2009-jetta.27070/ that states that the 2006 DMF is different, but will fit the 2009+ vehicles.
Just wondering if anyone can confirm this, and if anyone knows why there is such a difference in price.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^and is the 2009 version an updated, improved DMF?

I've not studied this thread closely, but I have the impression that the 2009>>> DSG DMFs are holding up rather well.

oilhammer

TDI

I've not studied this thread closely, but I have the impression that the 2009>>> DSG DMFs are holding up rather well.
Maybe because those cars are newer, and haven't miled up as much yet.

Although I have yet to replace a DMF in a CBEA or CJAA engine, and I have a few regulars that have gone well past the mileages we commonly see them fail with the BRM engine. So I guess that is a good sign.

Now turbochargers, on the other hand.... :(

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed

Yes, I am wondering that as well. I have read in some thread too that the 2009+ DMFs appear to hold up better, but who knows. My car is at almost 120k miles now. I am really not 100% sure if I have the symptoms described here or not. Vibrations and noises can come from a lot of places, even on a new diesel.

Maybe because those cars are newer, and haven't miled up as much yet.

Although I have yet to replace a DMF in a CBEA or CJAA engine, and I have a few regulars that have gone well past the mileages we commonly see them fail with the BRM engine. So I guess that is a good sign.

Now turbochargers, on the other hand.... :(

Would these vibrations and rattle from DMF be unmistakable? Any way of checking the play before taking the transmission out? Is there an inspection hole or something?

Haven't heard/read anything about the turbos yet. Oh well... one thing at a time.

TonyH

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Greetings, I am new to the list and very interested in this thread. I joined to ask how to get the DSG out of my car but I finally figured it out. Now, having removed the DMF, it does not seem to be any different compared to the new one. It twists about the same degree as the new one; it doesn't rattle if I shake it, but it was definitely making noise when the car was idling in Park or Neutral. (it has 106k on it). I will put it back together Saturday and would love to get some tips on the best method. To take it out, I loosened the subframe to get extra clearance and lowered the thing with an engine hoist. Is there a better way?

oilhammer

TDI
On the A5s I just take the whole subframe assembly out. I leave the rack hang in the car, along with the sway bar, but leave the control arms attached to the subframe. It only takes me about 10 minutes to get the whole thing on the floor, and then the trans is out in the open. Just have to remember to remove the little bolt that holds the wire harness going to the rack to the subframe, from above, under the battery tray area. Battery tray comes out anyways, so it is right there.

The 02E is a pretty easy job to R&R on the BRM cars.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
Question regarding Starting. On Engine Start, with a warm engine, periodically it will start and instantly stumble and die. I thought it may be a battery problem, but it remained after changing out my seven year old battery. Then I thought it was me not holding the key on long enough (more electric help until Idle is established). No. Could this be related to a DMF rattle that will not permit a smooth idle to sustain Crank Rotation?. I'm at 140K miles with an original DMF on a DSG Trans. I don't hear the mono (monotonous) noise on the left wheel well (I meant stereotypical Noise, but that does read correctly, since it usually comes from the left side, Ha!)

Last edited:

TonyH

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
The 02E is a pretty easy job to R&R on the BRM cars.[/QUOTE]

LOL! I'd hate to see what you think is a hard job!!
Thanks for your advice though, I think I'm on the right track. I was worried about letting the subframe hang by the steering rack but I have a support under it until I put the tranny back in. I'm also taking the opportunity to put in a 26mm sway bar while I've got it apart!

oilhammer

TDI
The 02E is a pretty easy job to R&R on the BRM cars.
LOL! I'd hate to see what you think is a hard job!!
Thanks for your advice though, I think I'm on the right track. I was worried about letting the subframe hang by the steering rack but I have a support under it until I put the tranny back in. I'm also taking the opportunity to put in a 26mm sway bar while I've got it apart![/QUOTE]

Cylinder heads on a V10 E-van. Turbocharger on a Duramax. Evap core on a W140. Water pump on a older I6 SJ (seriously, Jaguar? Phillips screws??? :rolleyes:). Oh, and the water pump on the Yugo was a royal pain.... because of the air pump that US spec cars had to have that was smack in the way of EVERYTHING. :mad:

I've not run across much of anything on the A5s that I really think is "hard", although some of the CR engine stuff can be a bit tedious given how much stuff is crammed in a small area. But the BRM? Nah, piece of cake.

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2016 Golf SE TSI
Hi all,

I have 2013 DSG JSW TDI with about 33k miles on it. Around 13k I noticed a sudden noise appeared when moving 2-5mph. Its a pretty pronounced rattle/chugging coming from the front drivers side and a very noticeable shaking. It seems to be coming from the transmission and occurs pretty consistently. Others who are not mechanically inclined(or anal about it) have noticed it to and asked if there was something wrong.

I have had two other DSG cars prior, so Im use to there quirks and roughness (which never bothered me). This is something I have not encountered.

It almost sounds like the DMF but it doesn't rattle when in park. Also I noticed that If I tap the brake pedal you can feel an engagement and the rattle stops (but not all the time)

Ive removed the belly pan to make sure it wasn't vibrating.

Heres a link to a video I shot of it. Its louder in person than the video:

https://youtu.be/ZIhre97V0Gw

I brought it in once and the dealer set the DSG back to basic settings, but didn't effect in it any way. The one service person I dealt with told me "they all do that".... the line everyone gets with a DSG problem.

Anyway I just wanted to see what you guys think and ultimately get on VW to figure this out

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Sure sounds like a DMF.

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2016 Golf SE TSI
Now to get a dealer to do something about it. Anyone recommend a good service department in the NY, NJ, CT or PA area?

Last edited:

jetta19

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG CJAA
Good-day all,

With the help of this thread I have narrowed down a knock in my 2010 Jetta TDI DSG CJAA engine as the DMF (my guess). I have attached a short video with the knocking noise. I have 220000 (KM) / 138000 (miles) on the engine with no issues to date outside of regular oil and filter changes. Can anyone confirm that the noise is a DMF?

This noise is not constant and goes away when the car is in drive. No knocking while driving at this point. Even when I shut off and turn back on the engine sometimes its there and sometimes its not.

http://youtu.be/OSUQFTHuZZo

Thanks.

Ian

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Good-day all,

With the help of this thread I have narrowed down a knock in my 2010 Jetta TDI DSG CJAA engine as the DMF (my guess). I have attached a short video with the knocking noise. I have 220000 (KM) / 138000 (miles) on the engine with no issues to date outside of regular oil and filter changes. Can anyone confirm that the noise is a DMF?

This noise is not constant and goes away when the car is in drive. No knocking while driving at this point. Even when I shut off and turn back on the engine sometimes its there and sometimes its not.

http://youtu.be/OSUQFTHuZZo

Thanks.

Ian

Yes it's the DMF sound.

vwincalgary

TDI
2011 jetta tdi
Just had my DMF replaced 2 days ago. 2011 Jetta TDi 6 w/6spd DSG Auto engine code CJAA. 217,000 Kms. Cost $2000 with trans service and now car idles very quietly and shifts much much better. The DMF is an extremely common part to replace. While some owners replace theirs under the 50k mark, I was lucky to go as long as I did.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just had my DMF replaced 2 days ago. 2011 Jetta TDi 6 w/6spd DSG Auto engine code CJAA. 217,000 Kms. Cost $2000 with trans service and now car idles very quietly and shifts much much better. The DMF is an extremely common part to replace. While some owners replace theirs under the 50k mark, I was lucky to go as long as I did.
Could you clarify this statement? I've been in this club since early 2009, and my impression is that the CR DSG DMFs are proving to be much more durable than previous generation DMFs.

Joeym4692

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Seems my 2009 Jetta DSG is starting to make the sound on cold start up. Seems since the outside temps have dropped its quieter.
106,xxx miles on it

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Have a 2005.5 that we have owned since 30k miles. Have had transmission oil changes and filter done every 40k miles either by me or someone I trust. Current miles is 155k. I am not hearing or feeling any of the problems that appear due to DMF going out. Is there a any test that can be run to see if it needs replacing? or a max mileage you should go before replacing?

Matt65

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Mine has had the rattle that will come and go for 4 years or so iirc. Over the Summer I started noticing an out of balance vibration when slowly raising the RPM off idle - I decided it's time. I am collecting parts now with a few more on the way. The DMF has arrived from Diesel Geek. I plan on doing this in my garage (no lift) in the next couple of months.

Pics below.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Don't kid yourself people. The old dmf is just like the newer part numbers. There is no change. It's a wear item.

vmb

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Hm. Drove around last night, it was around 4*C out, heard a lot of rattling in lower gears when accelerating. My old Honda Accord used to do similar stuff, but with all the talk of how bad the DMF's are in these things, its pretty easy to be paranoid.

Drove it around the block a bit, its warmer out today, and no sign of rattling. Though I let it set some and heard that sort of "pebbles in a can" sound that seems to be a telltale sign of the DMF. I'll attach a video with that. I'm still new to diesels, so still getting a lot of the noises sorted out and all.
I've also noticed, after having the transmission 40k fluid service done, downshifting from 2nd to 1st and coming to a complete stop, there's a slight kick that I don't really recall being there. In addition, the transmission clicks some when shifting from P or N to D. It's weird, these last two things, on VWvortex and a couple of other sites, were said to be normal in some DSG's. Some even reported them in brand new cars (Golfs and GTIs mostly) during test drives. I'm not entirely sure what to make of it.

https://youtu.be/yHFjL7n8nB4

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
DSG is loud. 1 to 2 and 2 to 1. Loud bang shifts. Normal.
Rattle of rocks in a can. Bad.
Also i was told once to always use your parking brake. The DSG has a weak Park pin and once it breaks the DSG is no more. This will also keep the in and outa park binding down alot too.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"Loud bang shifts" from 1-2 and 2-1? Normal? Not in any of my CR TDI DSGs, and I've put in excess of 180k miles (combined) on them.

I wonder if the 09>>> DSGs are dialed in better than previous generations?

Also, narongc73, I'd like to see some data that the updated DMFs are failing at the same rate as earlier DMFs. Of course, it's a wear item, and a compromise over a SMF, and they will all fail, but I haven't read anything that leads me to believe the EARLY failure rate (low mileage) is the same. I think the updated DMFs are lasting longer.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
My '06 DSG worked fine, it was the '09 that had the major bang shifts. It was after three MUs that I had enough and got rid of it.

Matt65

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Mine has had the rattle that will come and go for 4 years or so iirc. Over the Summer I started noticing an out of balance vibration when slowly raising the RPM off idle - I decided it's time. I am collecting parts now with a few more on the way. The DMF has arrived from Diesel Geek. I plan on doing this in my garage (no lift) in the next couple of months.

Pics below.

New DMF installed. No more rattle or out of balance vibration.

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Have a 2005.5 that we have owned since 30k miles. Have had transmission oil changes and filter done every 40k miles either by me or someone I trust. Current miles is 155k. I am not hearing or feeling any of the problems that appear due to DMF going out. Is there a any test that can be run to see if it needs replacing? or a max mileage you should go before replacing?
Just had mine done at 171k Started to hear the noise and took the starter out DMF had about 1" of play. Had a VW shop do the job do to rain and such. they found 20mm of play said there should be 10mm. Hope I get another 150k from this one.

MegaCleanCab

TDI
2006 Bettle
My daughters 06 TDi Bettle had one let go in the driveway. It took out the starter with it. It have less than 35,000 miles on it. I had heard it idling a few mornings prior to the explosion. It sounded like my dodge with a cummins in it. I attributed it to being super cold. Its been in the shop over a week now.