Drove through dust storm. Replace filter????

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
I have a 2004 Jetta PD TDI with 10K miles on it. From what I can see the air filter is supposed to be changed at 40,000. Last night I got caught in a dust storm; drove about 10 miles through it. (I live in Phoenix, AZ). It started me thinking. Should air filter changes be more done more often here in AZ? Maybe twice as often? How about oil and filter? Should they be done more often?

Even when one doesn't get caught in a dust storm, the general environment here in the Phoenix area is very dusty. I would imagine a lot more dirt gets sucked up into the filter than in other parts of the country.

As for last nights storm, should I change the filter now? Should I wait till the end of Summer (as this is bound to happen several times during the monsoon seaaon), or should I just go with the normal interval? (I did a search through the forums and seem to recall a comment that air filterw were the most overchanged maintenance item on our cars and that the OEM filter has a tremendous capacity.)

On the same note, I drove a Mazda pickup truck through a much worse storm near Palm Springs, CA a few years ago. When I got to San Diego, I immediately changed the filter. To my amazement, there was very little dirt on the filter; it almost looked clean. So maybe one storm doesn't really do that much.

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
Perhaps the filter that cleans the air conditioner might need to be looked at.
No, I had the presence of mind to put the A/C on recirculate almost immediately.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
No, I had the presence of mind to put the A/C on recirculate almost immediately.
Are you talking about your cabin filter or your air filter?

If you are talking about your air filter, then recirculate will do nothing....

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you talking about your cabin filter or your air filter?

If you are talking about your air filter, then recirculate will do nothing....
An earlier reply said I might consider looking at my Air Conditioner filter. Recirculate would take care of that.

What I am concerned about is the engine air filter.

robbiebobo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta, alaska green
i found my engine air filter dirty enough to change at 20k miles. my standards may be high but i say change it if you want to. if dont notice a performance/milage gain with a new filter then you know you dont have to worry as much next time you hit a dust storm.

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
Imo: driving in dusty conditions would seem to dictate changing the air filter at least per owners manual interval of 20K. If I were you I'd change it a day before an oil change. Allowing the disturbed dirt to go into the old oil then drain it.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
Imo: driving in dusty conditions would seem to dictate changing the air filter at least per owners manual interval of 20K. If I were you I'd change it a day before an oil change. Allowing the disturbed dirt to go into the old oil then drain it.
the owner's manuals of both of our PDs state 40k air filter change intervals.

an advantage your TDI has over previous models it is equipped stock with the "A" filter, specifically designed to protect engines in dusty and dirty conditions.

check out this post to see the difference between the "standard" and "A" air filters.

i asked DB what he thought about continuing with 40k air filter change intervals in my dusty conditions (see above link) and this was his reply: <ul type="square"> Go get a CAT filter restriction meter and end the guessing. These measure in inches of water column pressure (Far more sensitive than inches of mercury!!!). When my meter reads 15"wc I replace the filter. Typically I get around 60,000-80,000 out of my filters.

The meter will show that absolute slightest amount of restriction. Filters are all about restriction and the visual condition means nothing for an air filter.

Cost of the CAT meter is around $29.00 for the really nice black one...

DB[/list]

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Changing too often isn't a great thing eaither, it allows larger dirt to get through than if it were slightly used (holes start to get clogged up tot optimum if you know what I mean). The best solution for no guess work seems to be at www.filterminder.com a really neat solution that will pay for itself over time...maybe.

dadsdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 NB TDI
Does anyone have an on-line source for the filter minder?
I've been wanting one for my tractor for some time, and would like to install one on my Jetta too.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I once drove through a heavy dust storm from a road construction site and I later found my snowscreen to be about 90% blocked. Whenever I got on the power, I noticed it never had quite as much power as before. I also could hear a faint "honk" sound from the driver's side front area as the restriction was causing the spring-loaded safety vent door to pull open. I cleaned the snowscreen and all power and performance was restored to normal.

Check and clean your snowscreen! Not all TDIs have a snowscreen in the snorkel between the front grille and the airbox. I'm not sure if newer TDIs have it or not (my 02 Golf has one). If your TDi has a snowscreen in the intake path, it's worth checking and cleaning if necessary.

~ n1das

cage

Top Post Dawg
I read an article about turbos in an industrial magazine while in the lobby of a customers. The article was about Garrett. They explained that turbos are reliable and that most failures are caused by restrictions in air flow as well as poor lubrication. It's critical that you keep a good flow of air to the turbo. I would remove the snow screen if I were you but at the very least clean it and check the filter.