Drone / Hum

Aaron Steinblock

TDI
2006 Jetta
My 06 Jetta DSG with 55K miles has developed a new drone / hum in the last week. It starts at 30mph and steadily gets louder and higher as I increase in speed. The sound is VERY similar to the noise from a small 'ricer' car (straight piped civic) from a block away (muted).

The drone does not change with engine speed; it is entirely travel speed related. If you shift to N while traveling, it doesn't change the tone or volume. Swerving side to side and cornering doesn't change it either.

????? Thoughts? I need to get it up on a lift to check bearings and I'm sure I'm due for a rotation. But would these do that?

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
I would guess EGR cooler...check it from underneath, have to pull the splash shield/lower cover..

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Probably not wheel bearings if you go side to side and it doesn't change. My first guess would be tires.

Something you can try to rule out tires is to temporarily up the pressure to 50 PSI and go for a very short drive to see if the noise changes or disappears.

If the noise is travel speed dependent and not engine speed dependent, I wouldn't think EGR cooler.....................

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
hard to say from the description. it could be uneven tire wear or cupping. i sanded mine down because the noise got to be annoying. still have to figure out what's causing it though. probably worn shocks..

metallocene

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG; 2014 Q5 TDI
Well that's well timed. My 06 started to do exactly the same thing about 3 weeks ago, 90K km's.

A low howl that starts around 60km/h and increases with speed. Steering has no effect, neither does Neutral.

Kind of sounds like the start of a bad bearing but hard to tell, can't localize the sound.

I'm leaning toward the tires as the culprit (they are the originals) but won't know until the snow tires go back on, in about 2 months.

Would be curious what you find Aaron.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
If tires and it's a front one you'll feel it on steering wheel. Rattler's method sounds like the easiest check. You can also jack up car, spin wheels and watch 'em spin. A bent rim will be easy to spot.

Aaron Steinblock

TDI
2006 Jetta
Quick follow up: Bearings!!

Changed out both front bearings/hubs (might as well do both while it's up). Cost me 320.00 in parts and labor. Sounds CRYSTAL quiet again.

Now, my big concern....why did these go at 55K miles???? and why did they go so fast??? (fine one day, howling the next)??????????

metallocene

Veteran Member
TDI
Appreciate the follow up Aaron, sorry to hear it was the bearings so soon. Wonder if bearings are covered under the power train warrantee? $320 does sound pretty reasonable though.

Does your car spend much time on gravel roads?

Today, I did notice the steering wheel did have a bit of vibration as well, when driving in a straight line or turning.

Will try the high pressure idea, when I can make some time.

Thanks folks.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
VW quality is crap these days. I can't wait to find out what breaks next. Glad you found out what was wrong. Someone posted that theirs went too recently. I think it might have been the rears though.

metallocene

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi folks, just to complete the story.

It was the rear driver side bearing. Slowly got louder and could hear it at lower and lower speeds over the last 10000km.

In the last 1000km, the sound varied greatly when turning sharply (louder when turning right, quieter when turning left). Matches with bearing trouble on the driver side.

Replaced the bearing assembly last night and all is as it was, just the light clatter of a wonderful diesel engine (and a few rattles from various pieces of the interior... sigh).

The funny part was that there was no play at all in the bad bearing and when spun by hand, it sounded just like the new bearing. Strange.