Driving up Ramps

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I changed the oil in the JSW for the first time myself.

I had a hell of a tough time driving up the ramps!

Ramps always make me nervous so I use the accelerator and the brake together but of course the JSW doesn't like that. So I used only the accelerator and when I hit the top of the ramp I invariably hit the brake too hard. It worked out okay but not good for my blood pressure.

Would turning off the traction control allow me to "toe-heel" up the ramp?

New car technology; A love/hate thing for me.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The easy answer for some cars is to use an oil extractor.
If it has a top access oil filter you are golden.
One reason I am replacing my JSWs with a Town and Country V6 is that the oil filter is on top, now to see if the extractor gets almost all of the oil.
I checked on the VW CBEA and C??? 2013 and it does and on my old 2002 Prius it got more than I could drain from the plug on the bottom!
I will extract the oil and then check from the bottom on the Pentastar V6 to see how it works out.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I've considered an oil extractor for years. I thought it was a good idea to have a look around under the car while changing the oil and I feel I get more old oil and any sediment out through the plug. I also felt that the oil soaked hoses would be "one more thing" to have hanging around in my over crowded little garage. BUT crawling under the car is getting old and so am I. It may indeed be time for an extraction pump. Thanks

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I changed the oil in the JSW for the first time myself. I had a hell of a tough time driving up the ramps! Ramps always make me nervous
The trick is not to DRIVE up them under power. You need to get a little (key word little) speed so you don't have a lot of torque. I get back just far enough to see the ramps.

1. I let up the brake and motor to the ramps. Once it hits the ramp I am off the skinny peddle with slight pressure still on...not full idle.
  2. I feel it peak the top of ramp as the speed has almost bleed off.
  3. Stomp the brakes when it's on top.
  4. If I am too slow it does not make it, I don't try and GAS IT on the ramp. I let it roll back and give it another shot.
  5. If you do it right you are getting to the top of the ramp just as it is slowing down.

OTHER Suggestions... Use the top suction system through dip stick.. much faster, safer, easier, cleaner and gets all but about 4-8 OZ of oil out at most. A lot of oil is in the oil filter housing cavity you can suck dry with an oil suction system. There is 4oz or more oil in that cavity alone. I change my oil at 7500 miles.... so that should make up the difference. I can change my oil standing up from start to finish in about 15-20 minutes tops. Also the oil is much more spill proof in that round vessel with a small cap,,,,

Second suggestion is buy two nice 1.5/2 ton harbor freight jacks on sale and some floor jack stands.

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Pilot. I never even thought about getting a second floor jack. Geez why'd I not think of that!? Maybe though it is time for me to go the top side way. Why screw around with that plastic under cove thing. Yeah I think I'll spring for a mity vac or whatever looks good.

Thanks for taking the time to help me here. Thanks also to Red Barron

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
I have always just idled my TDI's up ramps and have never had any trouble. You guys are way overthinking it. With my MK4 manual, I would "wedge" the ramps under the front wheels and simply ease the clutch out without touching the skinny pedal and just idle up. Same think with my Mk6 DSG, just foot off the brake and idle up it with zero issues at all.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
My JSW doesn't climb the ramp in idle. Perhaps these ramps are steeper than yours? Climbing with a clutch is easy but I never did it at idle.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Getting up ramps with a DSG is a bit tricky. You kind of need to just go for it, hesitating will make the clutch open and then you really have to start over.

-J

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Getting up ramps with a DSG is a bit tricky. You kind of need to just go for it, hesitating will make the clutch open and then you really have to start over.

-J
Yeah I was afraid of that. I guess I see a oil extraction pump and maybe a second jack in my future. I am leery of just going right up the ramp. Suppose I'm off center, or I go over the end?

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe with a little more practice I'll get better. Or maybe it is time for a nicer set of ramps. I've had these for at least 20 years. The ones Tdi G links to above look nice but I think they don't get high enough for me.

I wonder if anyone makes ramps that are like 7-8 feet long with a gentle climb to a sufficient height. They should fold or telescope for storage and different size cars.
If nobody make this then one of you clever TDI club members ought to make it and pa-tent it! If you make a ton of money with this idea then remember to send me a nice cut!! Say 5% annually :).

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Just do the extractor. Save yourself all that time on your back. I get it done in 15 minutes, and don't need to spend time making sure my pinchweld is ok and the jackstands are at the right spot for not crushing me.

I really doubt the couple of ounces you miss by not opening the drain plug is gonna be a disaster to your oil analysis numbers.

But If you must spend money, these are under 4'8" long. If I still wrenched as much as I used to I'd be all over them.
2 piece race ramps. Love the idea of having the space to work around the ramp without the incline in place.

https://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-R...TF8&qid=1477592553&sr=1-1&keywords=race+ramps

Rhino Ramps get sketchy after they age, start buckling on the edges. Not the business. But maybe the new ones are built differently.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Yeah I was afraid of that. I guess I see a oil extraction pump and maybe a second jack in my future. I am leery of just going right up the ramp. Suppose I'm off center, or I go over the end?
I always go to the end of the ramp. I set the parking brake, put the edge of the ramp under each front tire, press the foot brake, release the parking brake, then use a little throttle constant to go up the ramps. If you feel the car bogging down give it just a *tiny* bit more throttle. If you have to abort just shift to N and roll back down.

-J

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
re: ramp.: practice makes perfect.

but giving up is ok too.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Just do the extractor. Save yourself all that time on your back. I get it done in 15 minutes, and don't need to spend time making sure my pinchweld is ok and the jackstands are at the right spot for not crushing me.

I really doubt the couple of ounces you miss by not opening the drain plug is gonna be a disaster to your oil analysis numbers.

But If you must spend money, these are under 4'8" long. If I still wrenched as much as I used to I'd be all over them.
2 piece race ramps. Love the idea of having the space to work around the ramp without the incline in place.

https://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-R...TF8&qid=1477592553&sr=1-1&keywords=race+ramps

Rhino Ramps get sketchy after they age, start buckling on the edges. Not the business. But maybe the new ones are built differently.
Those are nice but I think I'm sold on extraction at this point. I've got 10,000 miles to make up my mind!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
good luck.

I have a Pela 6 whatever.

tried to use it for a topside oil change once, only got 3/4 of the oil out, ended up doing a double change, since I could not get under the car where I tried to use the extractor (me being unhappy with 1/4 old oil in the mix)

I do use the extractor to get those few ounces from the oil cooler, and to drain brake fluid from the resevoir when changing brake fluid, and ps fluids on other cars. used it once to service the transmission on my wife's car.

just a heads up in case you also have issues getting the four liters from the crankcase from the top.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks meerschm. I hope I can do better than 75% but that might be okay. I suppose I could shorten the oil change interval to compensate................

TDI Hoo

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (Bought back by VW)
I use an extractor. I tested it on my .:R32 and I can extract all but a tablespoon of oil. But on the .:R32 to filter is under the engine, so I have to use ramps anyway. For the TDI, I use the extractor. I routinely get out more than 4 liters of the 4.3 liter capacity. I have a set of Rhino Ramps that are 31 years old and are the originals when they were made in Pennsylvania. They are indestructible. For the .:R32 I use mini ramps to get up the Rhino Ramps. For the TDI and my Mustang SVO the mini ramp is not necessary. My .:R32 and the TDI coincidentally use the same oil filter.

Here is the post with the ramps and mini ramps:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...r-Test-too&p=61975391&viewfull=1#post61975391
Here is my DIY for oil extraction on the TDI:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads/diy-oil-change-of-2010-golf-tdi-with-oil-extractor.2226/

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
I have never liked the extraction method. Something about letting every bit drain out gives me piece of mind.

Also I jack the car up to put it on the ramps and only drive it off. That's from habit of having a lowered car and having to put down some boards and those boards will kick out trying to drive up but stay put for rolling off.

Manu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf Wagon 6MT Highline TDI
I use ramps, but it can be tricky at times. If the tires are wet, I will not be able to go up the ramps (wheel spin). I have a manual, so I do use the brakes as I go up the ramps, and inch it forward very slowly. The last thing I want is to fall off the ramps.
My car is lowered, so I use two pieces of 2x8 to reduce the angle.

Untitled by MANU 01, on Flickr

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
I use ramps, but it can be tricky at times. If the tires are wet, I will not be able to go up the ramps (wheel spin). I have a manual, so I do use the brakes as I go up the ramps, and inch it forward very slowly. The last thing I want is to fall off the ramps.
My car is lowered, so I use two pieces of 2x8 to reduce the angle.

Untitled by MANU 01, on Flickr
Goes much easier and safer to jack the car up and place the ramp under the tire. Then use boards to roll down since that's the easy part lol