Driving from Louisiana to Pennsylvania

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle GLS TDI, 2003, White
In the first weekend of Oct, I'm planning on driving for New Orleans, LA to Knoebels Grove, PA to ride some coasters. Up there in the mountains of PA, the weather's notorious for suddenly changing from the 70s down to freezing within a day.

How will this sudden change affect my diesel? Do I need to put in an additive when I fuel up again to keep the diesel from gelling up? If so, what additive should I use and where do I get it?

Thanks in advance /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
It wouldn't be a bad idea, since your LA fuel probably won't be winterized. Use PowerService in the WHITE bottle (Diesel Fuel Supplement +cetane boost). Follow the directions on the bottle... I think it ends up being 4oz per tank. How you add it won't make a huge difference because the fuel gets recirculated and sloshed around so much.

As well as winterizing, this stuff also boosts cetane up to 4 numbers, improves lubrication, and cleans injectors. You could run this stuff all the time... even in the summer. For summertime, most people switch to PowerService Diesel Kleen (silver bottle), which boosts cetane up to 6 numbers but does not lower the gelling point.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Oh, yeah... you can usually find PowerService products at WalMart. If not, check a large auto supply store or truck stop.

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI
OK thanks for the info. I'll have to find it. I'm going to do the ventectomy, then I'm gonna fill up here in New Orleans, again in Knoxville, TN (halfway point and about 600 miles), and finally in PA.

With a TDI, it IS cheaper to drive. No airport security, no officer with his magic wand looking for metal on you. It's just you, the TDI, the mp3 collection and the open road. /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
You really should not have a problem with weather cold enough to bother your diesel. I live near the PA line and drive to NYC every few weeks. Oct 1ST more then likely will be warm. I have never in 35 years seen temps low enough to freeze the fuel this early in the season. BUT I use power service year round to keep the pump and injectors happy. Have fun on the trip , you will be in the middle of the fall leafs change lots of color which if you like that stuff will make the trip even better.

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to Knoebels Grove for the Phoenix Phall Phun Phestival. It tends to turn cool up there in the mountains. PA is BEAUTIFUL in the fall with the trees turning color. I do get on the Ferris Wheel and also the Twister coaster just to be able to look out at the scenery. I have hours and hours of videotape shot at every inch of Knoebels. It's my home away from home.

I've been going there for 3 years each year I remember a cool front passing through and waking up to 32deg in a tent. BRRRRR. That's ok. a good coat and some gloves and I'm ready to do some cold coasting.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I am from Southeast PA, Around that time We usually have a "warm spell" end of Sept and beginning of Oct. In otherwords INDIAN SUMMER. Though Northern Pa can get Cool. I don't think you have too much worry. Around Halloween, We start getting the frost on the ground. It really gets cold end of Jan through Beginning of Mar.
Knoebels Grove is a cool "family Park". /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI
Knoebels is home to my #1 roller coaster: The Phoenix. I love traditional amusement parks and Knoebels IS the best! You can't beat it.

Oilsquasher

TDI
2000 Jetta
Been to Knoebels many a time as it's only about 45 minutes from where I live. October can be funny...weatherwise! I seen snow in October and also seen 80* days.

I seen a special on "coasters" on some cable station and was pleasently surprised that the "Phoenix" was in the top ten of wooden coasters.

Give me a shout when you go and maybe we can meet up.

Ron

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, I'll let you know. I'm going to camp out there at PPP (Phoenix Phall Phestival). That's the first weekend of Oct. During the covered bridge festival and all that.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I'm about 15 miles from Knoebels.We went to the PPP the last two years,we will probably go again this year.You don't need any additives here in October.Although we did have a white Halloween last year. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
Hmmm. This could turn out to a PA GTG. Hmmm.. very interesting. I would be game /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool! Let's have a TDI/PPP GTG! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It would be cool to see some TDI's in Knoebels parking lot. Mine will be in the campground.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I am game /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I am ready to take My TDi campin'.

Off The Subject. Ok who's a Villanova U. Hottie chick drivin' a Black TDI (Jetta MK3) from Jersey with the tags IFLGR8. I saw driving on the RT 422 eastbound @ 510pm this eve. Heehee. /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI
There's gonna be Camp RRC. This is where the coaster people are camping. Hmmm.. Will there be a Camp TDI? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Come see us Friday night and all day saturday and sunday. You'll probably see my Bug in the campgrouds.

Oilsquasher

TDI
2000 Jetta
>>Off The Subject. Ok who's a Villanova U. Hottie chick drivin' a Black TDI (Jetta MK3) from Jersey with the tags IFLGR8. I saw driving on the RT 422 eastbound @ 510pm this eve.<<

Sorry Dude, not me! I'm the "Harley" lookin' dude(T. red Jetta) coming from Jersey everyday on the T-pike and then head North on the Northeast extension to Wilkes-Barre. I usually look out for TDI's and generally give a friendly wave. But now, I'll be lookin for "Villanova". /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

bioTDI

TDI
1996 Emerald Green Passat
I grew up near Knoebels Grove, went there all the time. I remember when they started constructing the Phoenix. What a great park! When I was 16 in 1989 I learned how to drive on a 1980 Dasher - diesel of course!

tobszanski

[ QUOTE ]
jasonlava said:
I'm going to Knoebels Grove for the Phoenix Phall Phun Phestival. It tends to turn cool up there in the mountains. PA is BEAUTIFUL in the fall with the trees turning color. I do get on the Ferris Wheel and also the Twister coaster just to be able to look out at the scenery. I have hours and hours of videotape shot at every inch of Knoebels. It's my home away from home.

I've been going there for 3 years each year I remember a cool front passing through and waking up to 32deg in a tent. BRRRRR. That's ok. a good coat and some gloves and I'm ready to do some cold coasting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking forward to the PPP as well, though I don't think you'll have too many problems with cold temperatures - cool yes, probably not cold (at least I hope not, especially if I get my kilt before then). The PowerService white bottle is definitely the way to go if you're concerned about fuel issues.

You also have great taste in coasters. There are bigger, faster, longer, twistier wood coasters out there, but the Phoenix is my #1 coaster as well (I've ridden it well over two thousand times, with a personal best of 96 times in one day).

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
tobszanski said:
[ QUOTE ]
jasonlava said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking forward to the PPP as well, though I don't think you'll have too many problems with cold temperatures - cool yes, probably not cold (at least I hope not, especially if I get my kilt before then). The PowerService white bottle is definitely the way to go if you're concerned about fuel issues.

You also have great taste in coasters. There are bigger, faster, longer, twistier wood coasters out there, but the Phoenix is my #1 coaster as well (I've ridden it well over two thousand times, with a personal best of 96 times in one day).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! A true coaster enthusiast. It ain't about the big crowded parks. That's all nice and the big huge thrill rides are great but there's nothing like a good old fashioned wooden roller coaster. There's also nothing like PA in the fall with the trees and the mountains, so it's a double pleasure; beautiful scenery and a magical amusement park right in the middle.

Hmm... 2 days to drive up there, 2 days at Knoebels, 2 days to drive back...

Big wheels a-rolling, movin' onnnnn... - Merle Haggard

umm.. ok.. little wheels a-rollin' /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tobszanski

I have a '01 Silver Jetta, black leather interior - the car will be easy to spot, the licence plate is "KNOEBLS" - go figure /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

pjr107

I was just beat over my head by my wife to sign us up for a GTG at Knoebels, so we will be there. I do not know about camping though, I just spent a wet weekend at Lake Glory campground up the road from Knoebels.

PJ

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool!

Ok, so where's the best place for Diesel around Knoebels?

For that matter, where's a good place around Knoxville, TN? That will be the halfway point between new Orleans and Knoebels?

pjr107

The cheapest I've seen was yesterday @ $1.46 and that's about 5 miles down the road on 61 heading towards Shamokin. Not sure of your exact route, but if I am guessing right, its coming up RT81 and intersecing with rt901 and then onto Knoebels. If you stay on 61, you will go slightly out of your way, but pass the station. You can then just turn right onto 487 which the main park is on. Most of the prices range from $1.51-$1.69 and I haven't had a problem with any refueling. Will continue to update prices as the date gets closer.

Other thoughts... I know that we may not camp at the main park or at Lake Glory, but they do have pavilions that we can BBQ at for free... Would anyone be interested in that?
I am also going to call for reserved TDI parking /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PJ

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm gonna come up on I-81 from Harrisburg to 901, then to 54, and then to 487. Through Mt. Carmel and Bear Gap and on up the mountain. I know where Shamokin and 61 is and that's a little out from where I'm going but if it's good diesel, I'd go there. One time I drove on 125 to get to Knoebels. OMG. Twisty twisty twisty /images/graemlins/shocked.gif That's a twisty for experts, not flat-land prone southerners like me /images/graemlins/eek.gif.

pjr107

Well, gee, everyone up there *KNOWS* not to take rt125 unless you are driving a tractor trailer and want to check on the back end of your truck!

PJ

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I was a n00b and was following the directions Mapquest or whatever told me to take. 901 is much better and safer /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI
Unless you want to watch the truck jack-knife and see your back end before it pulls you down the mountain