driving ALH vs PD

cjharris02892

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2000 Golf and 2005 Jetta MKIV w/BEW
Hello Everyone,

I didn't realize how long it has been since I logged onto this forums, 3 yrs. I've lurked, but hadn't actually logged in, time flies.

Anyhow, I am searching for a new TDI. I have 378,000 on my golf and while the engine is still going, the car around it is falling apart.

Mine is a 2000 ALH Golf. Even w/378k, when I hit the pedal I can feel the turbo kick in and the car is "motivated". Still fun.

I looked at a 2004 PD today with a very good body and interior. Took it for a drive and was not really very impressed.

When I floored the PD, it moved, but acceleration was very flat. No jolt, couldn't even tell turbo kicked in. Don't get me wrong, the car did get up to speed so it is not in limp mode. But something didn't feel right.

Is this how a PD should feel?

Thank You in Advance.

Last edited:

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
it's hard to say man, for me my pd is def faster stock to stock. There's a good chance the IM is full of carbon etc. With just even a stage one a pd has a lot to offer in terms of power

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
The car you drove had a problem. Try another. Don't bother with private sellers. Go to a dealer.
It doesnt matter what price is on it. In fact higher might give you a better chance that it's running correctly. You're there to see what it's supposed to feel like not buy it. Not that they need to know that. Just keep the test drive brief to not waste everybody's time.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
A stock BEW (PD) should feel faster than a stock ALH at low revs, but IMHO will feel like it runs out of steam sooner as the revs climb. It has more torque and peak hp.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Is this how a PD should feel?
I was kinda wondering the same thing myself. I recently bought an '06 PD Jetta (BRM, not BEW). It feels like it has a little more get-up-and-go than my ALH Golf, but not much. Then again, my Golf has DLC520 nozzles and it does work really well, and this '06 PD Jetta does have a cam that's starting to wear, and it definitely needs the "zip-tie mod", among other things.

I'm thinking that when I get this PD Jetta all tuned up and dialed in, it should be noticeably more enthusiastic than my '03 Golf.:)

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Though not a fair comparison to my stock ALH's, my 04 PD is a little hot rod, but it has a VNT 17 and tune.:)