Drivers side power window fell in door

copierkat

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Black
When I shut my door on my 2002 Jetta this morning, the window fell straight down into the door. I was able to pull it back up by hand, and after a few tries, up and down with the power switch, I got it back up. I will be taking the door apart tomorrow to see what happened. I had VW fix the plastic clips a couple years ago beacause the same thing happened then. I believe that repair was free, and they did both sides. Can't remember if it was the front or rear windows though. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Yeah, I was told that they 'did both sides', too....and they lied. Cost me $250 to do the other side when it broke, and that was after the 7-year extended warranty on the regulators.

If you have documentation that they did both sides, you may have recourse to get it done for free when they open it up and find that there's still a plastic clip in there (the new ones were die cast metal.)

Doing it yourself is fairly involved. There's a how-to somewhere....not sure if it was here or on vwvortex.com. But taking off the door trim only reveals another metal panel with a dozen or so screws -- a module that hold the regulator on the other side. I think the door latch has to be undone as well. Really, it's something I'd rather pay $250 for.

Maybe you can check with one of the twin cities gurus?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
You'd only need to buy new metal clips to replace the craptastic original plastic ones. If yours were replaced already, perhaps they just loosened enough to let the glass slip out. With any luck (i.e. the glass didn't break) all you'd need to do is loosen the new clips and then retighten on the bottom of the glass. Just don't overtighten.

copierkat

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Black
Found problem. The clips were metal. The window was up out of the clips. I now remember that the window was froze in up position a few weeks ago. When I tried to lower with power switch, it must have pulled window out of clips. I loosened clips, re-installed window, and all is good now. Thanks for all the suggestions!

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Happens all the time. VWs new official procedure is to glue the window into the clips. I use E6000 craft glue, an excellent silicone based adhesive.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Bruce:

My A4 already has the metal clips but that won't keep the window from pulling out of the clips if it is frozen to the door frame (Ask me how I know:rolleyes:). I assume that if you glue the window into the clips this is less of an issue, but how do you ever disassemble the door in the future if the window is glued into the clips? Don't you have to detach the glass from the clips in order to remove the inner panel from the door? Will the glue you use release after loosening the clamp bolts on the clips? I would like to make it less likely that the window drop into the door, AGAIN. However I don't want to "do the glue" if it is going to make it impossible to service the other items inside the door that are prone to failure (stupid door switch, etc).

copiercat:

Welcome to the "window drop club"! My wife experienced this phenomenon within a month of purchasing Liath. Now that the cold season has returned we are on frozen window watch to try and avoid a recurrance.

Dan

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yes. I've noticed that the strength of gravity is inversely proportional to the friction coefficient of the surface on which I am walking or standing.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Has anyone thought of putting some type of lubricant on those parts of the windows that contact the shell of the door in order to prevent them sticking in the cold weather?

We just had the window drop down into the door (for the 2nd time... last time it was in June, 2008... not frozen... just past the 7 year warranty, naturally...) We were 2 hours out of Toronto... bought some plastic sheeting to wrap around the door to get us there... Since all my tools are out in the country, we brought it to our friendly local VW dealer... C$391.22 later my wife was able to go to work... at least they fixed it right away...

Yuri

PS: looking at the bill, they noted "found clamps for window broken"... Does this mean that last time my other "friendly, local VW dealer" didn't put on the updated clamps???

Pharmboy

TDI
01 Golf
This happened to me today as well. I put the metal clips in a couple of years ago after the plastic clips broke. Guess I'll use adhesive this time-

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Has anyone thought of putting some type of lubricant on those parts of the windows that contact the shell of the door in order to prevent them sticking in the cold weather?
Silicone spray, works like a charm.