driver's side mirror: blind spot(s)!

cgs2000

Veteran Member
driver\'s side mirror: blind spot(s)!

Perhaps its just my limited vision, but there seem to be blind spots using the outside mirror on my 2001 Golf, and if I adjust it to see the next (left) lane better, its harder to see something at the ledt rear of the car.

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
Re: driver\'s side mirror: blind spot(s)!

I agree with you that the Golf has some serious blind spots.

Mickey did a thread on this a few weeks ago - basically he set his door mirrors much further "out" than is normal and it seemed to help. I do the same here now, although not to the extent I think he does, and it certainly improves matters. When I taught "Advanced driving" in the UK, we used to teach setting the door mirrors so that in your normal driving position , the nearest one-third to one-quarter part of the mirror shows you the side of your car.

That, I've discovered, is not a good idea with a Golf (accentuates the blind spots) or over here (due to the generally wider roads requiring a wider /deeper field of vision).

Even using mickey's idea, the Golf is still a bit of a swine for blind spots.

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue

while not the same "architecture" as a Golf,
the following Jetta mod may help:

i installed an interior mirror on the dash board just right of the A-pillar that seems to cover my blind spot around the near left rear quarter of the car.

the outside mirror covers the lane to my left further out and back.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(

cgs2000, My Jetta is the same way--huge blind spots. I adjusted both side mirrors until I could barely see my car in them. But this really isn't a true fix--you still have to look over your shoulders (if you weren't paying attention to drivers behind you
)before changing lanes.

We'll have to be careful. This is not hard for me because I love my TDI and being 'careful' is just second nature to me

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant

I adjusted my mirrors according to Mickey's Post and I can see EVERYTHING around me: No blindspots at all.

Here's what he suggested: Put your face against the glass on the driver's door and adjust the mirror so that you can just see a little bit of the car in it. Then lean into the dead center of the car and do the same for the passenger mirror. Since the passenger mirror is convex it doesn't need to be as far out as the driver's side.

The point of the side mirrors is to see what's in those normal blind spots, not to see what's in the lane behind you, that's what the center mirror is for.

cgs2000

Veteran Member

I've tried the suggested contortions, but perhaps because of my height, far-sightedness, and general limitations...there's still too much blind spot on the driver's side. Has anyone tried those small stick-on mirrors?

ittrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver

Go to your dealer, and have them remove the blind spot. It's not really necessary anyway, and it reduces your fuel mileage. Make sure they use synthetic blind spot remover though.

Seriously, the properly adjusted mirrors work for me and I am 6'2".

Jamie

snowball

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Red

I've got the little convex mirrors stuck onto my side mirrors. I like them, no blind spots, and no having to look over my shoulder whilst shifting.
If you don't like the little round ones I have seen the autobahn (SP?) mirrors for sale. You either mount these on your dash, or suction cup them to the inside of the winshield and adjust them so you can have no blind spots.
I was thinking of going that route, but realized they would be in the way when cleaning the dash or winshield... So I went with the convex ones.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

Guys, proper mirror adjustment is essential but don't overlook the addition of the VW European "split zone" mirror. It really enhances your field of view!

Roundy47

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta white

The little stick-on wide-angle mirrors - the rectangular ones, not the round ones - solve the problem nicely. They cloud up or fall off after a year or two, but they're cheap.

landrumdh

Veteran Member
TDI
landrumdh

I used to have this problem. But readjusted my mirrors so I could see around me better. Realistacly why do you need to see the side of your car? It's not going anywhere. Once you get used to not seeing the side of your car it's very normal and has almost totally eliminated the need to turn my head. I still do but I don't realy need to anymore!!

Just becareful as you are fine tooning them while driving!!

fincoop

Veteran Member

Driver's ed taught me 'down the side' method. Autoslalom school taught me a better way.

Adjust your side mirrors so that the view just overlaps with the rear view. The only blind spots you'll have are small objects in the blind spot and parking. On my civic there were no blind spots at all using this method. When you adjust your mirrors in this way you will never have to rotate your head 120 degrees to pass again.

The hardest part of doing this is a) getting used to not checking the blind spot and b) backing into a parking spot when you can't see the lines/curb. Another issue is getting used to using the rear view 90% of the time, it can tell you more than who's behind you

Coop

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black

I was taught that you *always* double check over your shoulder. don't trust your mirrors. This practice has saved the life of at least one bicyclist.

Heck, I'm so paranoid of messing up my new car that I usually triple check.

Dieseldorf, what's a VW European "split zone" mirror?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

tadc, it is the mirror supplied on European MkIVs. It is "aspherical" in design, available in a heated version and costs anywhere from $45 to $65, provides a very wide view on the driver's side.

Split Euro mirror, drivers side - 1J1 857 521 C

Source in CA:Mike & Kristin Potterman...very good people to do business with.

Also, I have an excellent article on proper mirror useage that I can fax to someone and they could scan and post??

The main point of the article is such that the interior mirror should be used to look behind and the two outside mirrors should be set to cover the blind spots on either side.

Most of us have been trained to set all three mirrors to look in the same place: behind the car! This leaves no coverage for the blind spots when we are changing lanes. Takes a bit of getting used to but is effective.

tdibugman

Veteran Member

I am in the process of ordering asherical mirror for our Passat from a distributor in England. (Waiting on availability/price) They realy do cut down the blind spot. As an added bonus, the mirrors are tinted blue, so the glare from headlights behind you is reduced. VW makes them for both the Passat and Golf/Jetta.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth

Have been using the "mickey method" for years, my insurance company even sent around a flier about it a few years ago. I have never encountered a car (inc. '84 XJS) that I could not eliminate 99% of blind spots. As noted you just have to look/ be careful during close in parking/backing situations.

Some newer cars (mostly big SUV's) anticipate this problem (and the correct way to adjust mirrors) by automatically bringing "in" the mirror when you shift into reverse.

The european mirror seams like a better/simpler solution to me

Kyanoti

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf GL, silver

I used to use the approach where you have the mirror extended out almost as far as it'll go... however, I found that I really couldn't see very far behind me, as I'm often going over hills and the roofline limits some vision. As I am often a miser for mileage--going rather slowly--I need to know what the conditions are a good bit behind me so I can drive accordingly. That requires having the mirrors show just a touch of my C-pillar area, leaving roughly a one carlength of a blindspot. So, I simply look once or twice before changing lanes. (Admittedly, people rarely stay in my blindspot long because they just blast past me, using two or three times the fuel I do...
)

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White

dieseldorf, i went ahead and installed the euro view mirror as suggested. very nice!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

I don't know the "Mickey" method, but VW used to have posted on their web site (three years ago) what others have already been saying about ajusting the mirrors.

Driver's side mirror adjusted 12 inches BEYOND the driver's rear/side of the car. Align this spot to the inside of the mirror.

The passenger's side mirror adjusted 14 inches BEYOND the passenger's rear/side of the car. Align this spot to the inside of mirror.

The rear view mirror should be adjusted to see the passenger's side more than the driver's side. You should never see youself in the mirror.

I've been using this method of mirror adjustment since 1998. NO BLIND SPOTS.

Lito

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI

I hope I have my mirrors adjusted "right" because I'm not aware of any major blind spot on my Y2K Golf . . .

kato258

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL, A/T, flash red; 04 Jetta GL, A/T, wheat beige; 06 Golf GLS, A/T, blue anthracite

IMHO,
1. you should NOT be able to see the side of your car in either side mirror.
2. lean back and forth to get a little more coverage.
3. turn your head around as a final check.

DEJ 77

Why would anyone want a mirror looking at their own car? (I'm pretty sure it's impossible to crash into yourself, but then again I've seen some bad driving!!)

Adjust mirrors so that if a car is going to pass you (on the left or right side) you first see your car on your interior mirror then your left/right outside mirrors followed by direct sight. You only need a small movement from your head to see if a car is directly beside you.

Remember that everytime you do a full shoulder check you are not looking in the direction that you are moving!!

ittrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DEJ 77:
Why would anyone want a mirror looking at their own car? (I'm pretty sure it's impossible to crash into yourself, but then again I've seen some bad driving!!)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Exactly! When was the last time you had the side of your car sneak into your blind spot and hit you.

Jamie

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

You guys are too funny!LOL

With the mirrors adjusted they way I described, you see a car in the rear view mirror, and begin to pick up the same car in the side mirror. By the time it disappears from the side mirror, it's next to you.

If you still can't see, then there's no help for you. Make sure you have enough insurance coverage.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI

Maybe I don't have trouble because there are so many cars parked on my street. I can use the parked cars on the left and right to simulate cars in the lanes to my left and right and adjust my mirrors for complete coverage. Just one more reason to live in the city