Drivers side Airbag recall

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
Just received a letter from VW canada that my 2013 passat is part of the Takata recall .

Wonder which will come first , replacing airbag or buying the car back .

kr70

TDI
2005 passat tdi, 2013 passat tdi SE
letter says Dealer has no parts, will they ever have parts? And what happens if you are in an accident?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
They have no time line of even announcing when part may be available.

GOOD NEWS no reported deaths in a VW vehicle as of yet! Who's gonna be that lucky customer?

Any reason we can't toss in a 2015 air bag "561-880-201-G-81U" into a 2012 and hten give VW the bill?

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
My understanding is that of the 12 people who have died as a result of Takata airbags, 10 were driving Hondas. So that's two deaths out of how many air bag deployments in non-Honda vehicles? Must be in the millions. Certainly far less than died as a result of the accidents themselves, and the number saved by the very same airbags must be far higher than 12.

Not to play down Takata's deplorable behaviour, merely to place the risk in perspective.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Also, no problems until after 7 years on/in the vehicle. Don't be in a hurry to receive that notice about the bags being ready to install in your vehicle - almost every major vehicle have these airbags and have been recalled. Bring your sleeping bag if you plan to stand in line.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
How many Takata airbags installed? IIRC, 16million + vehicles? How many miles driven daily in these cars?
11 deaths total?

Sheesh...I understand, death is...well...final, but seriously, I'm not even close to losing sleep over it. (Chances are MUCH greater my HPFP is gonna fail in the fast lane somewhere, and then...yuck...)

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Since hell will freeze before I will consider a buy back of an otherwise flawless car, I have to wonder when they will be able to get replacement bags . . .

- Tim

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I have had my civic's replaced twice, and got another notice for a 3rd replacement today along side the one for my NMS :confused: hope they get it right soon as center line crossings happen at least 3-4 times a year on the highway I live on- mostly people falling asleep after a long days skiing. I have been right behind 3 and its no fun. 2 teens trying to wipe the fog off the window due to a leaking heatercore fogging up the window caused this one

Last edited:

Shawn MacAnanny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I still have 3 open recalls on mine, i'm just parking it at this point since the airbag recall came in last week. You can look up open recalls by your vin here btw http://www.vw.com/owners-recalls/

REPAIR NOT YET AVAILABLE.
Connector Seal
VW ACTION CODE
23T3
NHTSA RECALL NUMBER
16V171
START DATE
03-24-2016
DESCRIPTION
Improperly assembled wire seals in a connector of an underbody sensor may allow water to corrode electrical terminals. This can lead to an electrical short with the possibly of overheating at the electrical connection, and cause the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) in the vehicle to illuminate. In rare cases, overheating of the electrical connection could result in a fire underneath the vehicle.
REMEDY
Inspect and, if necessary, replace the affected connector.
FIND A DEALER

Driver Frontal Airbag Takata SDI Inflators
VW ACTION CODE
69M9
NHTSA RECALL NUMBER
16V078
START DATE
02-09-2016
DESCRIPTION
Takata has reported that the driver frontal airbag inflator could potentially rupture if the vehicle is involved in a crash where the frontal airbags are designed to deploy. In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the airbag cushion material, which may result in serious injury or death to vehicle occupants.
REMEDY
Replace driver airbag inflator.

Steering Wheel Clock Spring
VW ACTION CODE
69L2
NHTSA RECALL NUMBER
15V483
START DATE
07-30-2015
DESCRIPTION
Hair or other fibers may contaminate the airbag clock spring (a spiral wound, flat cable that keeps the airbag powered while the steering wheel is being turned). This contamination may tear the cable and result in a loss of electrical connection to the driver's frontal airbag. A loss of electrical connection to the driver's frontal airbag will prevent the airbag from deploying in the event of a vehicle crash, increasing the risk of injury.
REMEDY
To help correct this defect, dealers will: • Install a protective cover over the steering wheel clock spring if the vehicle does not have an airbag light on, -OR- • Install a new steering wheel clock spring if the vehicle has an airbag light on (and diagnosis confirms the steering wheel clock spring requires replacement).
FIND A DEALER

Shawn MacAnanny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
And of course the open recall for emissions

Volkswagen 2.0L 4-cylinder TDI Emissions Issue
VW ACTION CODE
23Q2
START DATE
10-09-2015
DESCRIPTION
The Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board have determined that some Volkswagen 2.0L 4-cylinder TDI vehicles do not comply with applicable emissions regulations.
REMEDY
We cannot offer a firm date now because we need to work on the remedy and review it with the government. We are proceeding as quickly as possible. It's important to note that the EPA has stated that vehicles identified with this emissions issue are safe and legal to drive. However, as indicated herein, your vehicle may be subject to other recalls or service actions that require your immediate attention.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Shawn: I believe what FDR said many years ago, "There's nothing to fear except fear itself."
We're all playing the same odds here. We all take injury/death seriously.
The odds are the same for all of us.

The risk of failure of any of the 3 systems you're writing about is infinitesimally small.

Shawn MacAnanny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Shawn: I believe what FDR said many years ago, "There's nothing to fear except fear itself."
We're all playing the same odds here. We all take injury/death seriously.
The odds are the same for all of us.

The risk of failure of any of the 3 systems you're writing about is infinitesimally small.
What's the risk if it doesnt get driven? I have other vehicles to drive until it gets sorted out. I'll just leave it parked for now.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Got my letter Friday. They say the "bag of death" syndrome hasn't occurred in a VW product yet. This is the third recall, I think. The last one (steering wheel clock spring) was the same: got a letter saying "no parts yet, stand by." So I did, and eventually it got taken in and fixed. Same way here, I assume. It's like the odds of lightning striking, does no good to worry about it.
And cars have recalls, period. There's no reason for a bunch of angst over recalls in "piling on" to Dieselgate. They're not related.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Both the wife & I received our 'recall whenever we get parts' letter a few days ago.

:rolleyes:

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
I met someone that said all their fleet Ford Rangers were parked, and havent had a fix yet.his OSH dept shut them down as a hazard..hope ours gets a fix in the next 20 yrs by the look of the backlog

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
letter says Dealer has no parts, will they ever have parts? And what happens if you are in an accident?
Didn't you get the VW issued helmet with face shield? :cool: Mine was in the trunk with the 1st aid kit. :D

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I know some dealerships will provide loaners if you tell them you don't feel safe driving it (GMs during the ignition switch recall). But - I don't want to drive anything that they'd supply (and I'm not worried at all about the airbag)

AGreen

TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 speed; 2015 Passat TDI, DSG
We received the recall notification a few weeks ago and knew we are in a very long line waiting for a new airbag. I was just reading an article in May 16 Bloomberg BusinessWeek - page 27 (The Longest Recall). Interestingly, the first few Honda's were recalled in 2008, but the NHTSA investigation wasn't launched until 2014 and the national recall on May 19,2015. In all, there are now approximately 64 million cars affected. So, we are last in a very very long line. Why is VW just now alerting us of this issue? It has taken them a whole year to act on this issue.
I also agree that the emissions recall will happen long before the airbags are addressed. They kill two birds with one stone then.

Speaking of the odds, the human condition suffers from a 100% chance of mortality, so we are taking our chances and driving the car.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I believe the reason VW didn't notify us earlier is the fact that the airbags were manufactured in multiple locations, and at first it was thought to be a factory specific problem. Only later did it come out that it was more than that.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
"Speaking of the odds, the human condition suffers from a 100% chance of mortality, so we are taking our chances and driving the car."

We take our chances just driving ANY car on a highway. Actually just getting up in the morning.

DaveTC

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I just gad the clock spring cover recall service done at my service. One line item on the repair invoice that I did not see until after I got home was that the dealership told me about the airbag problem and I chose to drive the vehicle away unrepaired. It also stated that I waived the dealership from all responsibility for injury or death to the fullest extent of the law. I am not worried about the airbag, but I would not have had the clockspring repair performed had I known that they were going to sneak it that in there. I doubt my dealership is special in putting this clause in.