Driver's door won't lock. (2012 Passat SEL)

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
On my 2012 Passat TDI SEL, the driver's door stopped locking. The rest of the car locks up, the car alarm sets itself, but the driver's door stays unlocked. Without the key in your pocket/nearby, you can just open it. This also prevents the remote start from functioning.

I really don't like to take off door panels so I've yet to truly investigate. Not even sure what I'd see.

Is there something possibly jammed up with the locking mechanism that can be lubricated free?

Additional issue (same door): my auto-down window function isn't working for the two front windows (back 2 work) from the driver's door control. Auto down works from front passenger seat though. I presume my driver's door switch needs replacement or cleaning? I mean, if I'm going to be diving into this door and all might as well get everything fixed...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Nope VW makes failure prone lock modules, toss in auto lock features it's a mater of time before they fail.

But you may actually have a door wiring loom issue, can you adjust the mirrors?

A VCDS scan will tell you everything you need to know.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
The window switch is easy, you don’t have to remove the door panel, it comes out of the top, there are several videos that show how to replace it. If you decide to remove the door panel, i would recommend ordering the little clips that hold the door panel onto the door.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
to replace the door lock actuator the outside door panel comes off. On the 2012 the actuator is plastic welded together. the '10 and '11 they are screwed together so can disassemble and fix. You have to replace the lock actuator unit. I have done 3 on my car. The first one was tough, but the rest were easy.

Just noticed I am fairly local to you. I live just south of Centralia. Get the part and I can give you a hand. A little searching will find lots of people having to replace these actuators. Very good chance thats the problem.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
outside door panel?

remember the NMS isn't like your Mk5 Jetta, completely different platform/design. There's a reason the Passat took a 15K price cut in 2012 vs the B6. All the doors skins are plastic welded to the frame.

AFAIK everything is accessed by taking the inner door cover off.

But seeing this car has multiple electrical gremlins i'd be surprise if there's something bigger lurking in the car than a bunch of bad modules

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Yep My bad. did it again.... commented without reading it again. just saw 2012. the Passat part didn't sink in. Sorry. Youtube is amazing. its in there.