Driver Side Power Window Not Working

bbridgerb

Several weeks ago I bought 1996 TDI Passat. I really enjoy the car and I am glad that I found this tdi club page. It is a great source of knowledge.

The other day I was driving down the freeway and I tried to roll down the front driver side window and it didn’t work. I stopped and listen for any sounds coming from the door when I pressed the window switch but the only thing I could hear was a single click from the door panel switch. The motor doesn’t come on at all. Is it pretty common that the motor goes out like that on these models or it is more likely that it is a wiring problem? I will try to take the door apart this afternoon but I would appreciate to hear from someone who had a similar experience. Thanks,

Jan

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Hi bbridgerb, Be careful when removing the door panel. Take the six phillips screws (three on each side)out of the side of door panel. Then snap off the plastic cover on the grab handle and remove the electrical plug power window switch. There are two more phillips screws kinda deep inside the grab handle. At this point, pull the panel loose from the top only and away from the door. If you try to pull from the bottom, you will break off the catch clips which are glued to the fiber board with cheap glue. once the upper part of the panel is pulled away, you can now lift it straight up from the bottom. Later!

bbridgerb

Thanks everyone for helpful comments. I took the door apart this afternoon and pull the regulator with motor out. The regulator is fine - no signs of wear there.

I hooked up the motor back to the window switch and listened for sounds when the button was pushed. The motor didn’t come on – it just clicked once. It kind of sounded similar to the sound that a starter makes when it goes bad.

Here is a question I have. Is this enough to conclude that the motor is bad and get a new one or it could still be something else (less expensive
) ? If it is the motor where do I find a good deal on one? Diesel Geek? Is there a place that I could get a used one from? Not sure if it is a good idea to get a used one though - I don't want to take the door apart ever again
Thanks

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
This happened to me one time, immediately after I ran over some ruts, and I violently rowed the steering wheel back and forth a few times to make sure everything was still tight, and it turned off all my windows!! They just went dead. After several days of fruitless searching, I went back through the same piece of road and tried to emulate my first maneuvers, and they started working again, I kid you not. That probably had nothing to do with your problem,
, but just to illustrate how arcane the controls on the windows are....now, more to the point, a few weeks ago the right rear regulator broke and the switch went out at the door and on the dash panel from overload I guess...this time I unhooked the battery in an attempt to reset codes, and it worked...however make sure you have the security code for your stereo before you do this because you may have to reactivate it from Safe mode I suspect, but am not positive since it is a '96...come to think of it, not even sure if the computer on a 96 can be cleared like this... I possibly have been NO help
...sorry.

[ December 14, 2002, 21:22: Message edited by: Rickster ]