Driver side engine mount to tranny bracket stripped

ClimbRunOm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
So, I was being an inpatient knuckle head, and grabbed a spare transmission bolt instead of the engine mount bolt... They're both m12, but the tranny bolt is coarse thread and also a might bit shorter.

Anyway, I didn't catch it untill I was torquing the bolt to 100nm and felt the threads give up the ghost...[emoji2359]

I just want to confirm that the correct thread/pitch is m12 1.5, and also wondering if there's any issue with switching to a bolt in freedom units (1/2”-20 or 1/2"-13) so I don't have to go hunting for a snark named "m12-1.5 helicoil kit"...

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I want to convert all of my engine mounts to those...pricey but awesome stuff

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Thread size / pitch is indeed M12x1.5 for those big 18mm hex-head mount-to-bracket bolts.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes you can use an SAE sized helicoil, if the drill hole will be removing all the old threads.
I would timesert or helicoil to fit the original bolt. Properly installed those things will actually increase the hold power for that fastener.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
Looks like you might have good threads deeper down with a longer bolt? I probably have another bracket around if you want one with good threads. Lots of options. I personally don't like heli coils as they tend to fail and mess things up worse if you don't install perfect and never take the bolt out again.

carl20320

TDI
2004 Mk4 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
Heli-Coil kit $25
A lot less than the time-sert, granted not as good. I had to do this just a month ago on the same bracket. Mine had 2 twisted off bolts. Looked like someone had reused the single use bolts. Got one out with drill and easy out. The other, no such luck.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Looks like you might have good threads deeper down with a longer bolt? I probably have another bracket around if you want one with good threads. Lots of options. I personally don't like heli coils as they tend to fail and mess things up worse if you don't install perfect and never take the bolt out again.

If you don't install a lot of things perfect it will mess up...a lot of things.

It is true though, if you don't have the skills and tools to properly install a helicoil, a new bracket maybe a better option for you.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If you don't install a lot of things perfect it will mess up...a lot of things.

It is true though, if you don't have the skills and tools to properly install a helicoil, a new bracket maybe a better option for you.
That's a Like^
The helicoil kit is a great price, but does not include a long enough insert. You can combine 2, but that is difficult.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
The helicoil kit is a great price, but does not include a long enough insert. You can combine 2, but that is difficult.

How is it difficult? Helicoils follow the thread cut by the SPI tap.

Stack in as many as you want, they will stay in the correct alignment by the external thread. Just make sure you break off the tang before putting in the next one.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You're right, it's doable, except you might be laying on your back and coming at it from an odd angle and the second insert must aligned longitudinally with the first. Properly installed a helicoil is better than the original thread.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
You're right, it's doable, except you might be laying on your back and coming at it from an odd angle
All that is also true for the first insert. And the SPI tap. And the drill bit.

Installing a second helicoil into the same hole is just as easy as one.

and the second insert must aligned longitudinally with the first.
Please explain how this is not 100% taken care of by the threads from the SPI tap.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Thinking a bit harder...... You're right, if the tap is the same pitch as the final thread, which it must be, they would align.
I would still advise Climb to just pick up a replacement bracket.