Driver Door Lock Cylinder

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Hey all. So a few years back I replaced my door lock cylinder. I bought a generic one at NAPA and had it keyed at a locksmith. The symptoms were it wouldn't turn to lock the door etc. Was all gummy and jammed. So the symptoms have came again. I can't lock the door with the key and the micro switch or whatever has been gone for years ( won't lock with FOB, puddle lights / interior lights with door open intermittent, this is before I replaced even before). It doesn't seem like NAPA has the part anymore. Any insight on a good place too get a cylinder?? Or a better fix? Thanks in advance!!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Wrecking yard car? You don't need the original key to extract the cylinder from the door. As for why it's occurring again, couldn't say...

Mpaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy 2005 1,9 105 ps; Polo 2015 90PS Bluemotion, T5 2.5 5cyl
You don't have any kind of electronic locking system? what type of key?

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Ok good call on wrecker !!
The door won’t lock with the fob as the micro switch in the door is faulty. It won’t lock electronically

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Last summer, for some reason I tried the key in my wife's Passat (same stuff as a Jetta or very similar). It wouldn't turn. At first I thought the key was different, but that made no sense, but the trunk manual lock was "stuck" too.

So, I got one from the junkyard, and got super lucky, that the key/fob was in the car, literally the first car in the yard...

So, I started working on it, and long story, it turns out the lock cylinder gets frozen in the tube it turns in. That nasty aluminum gunk. So, go to YT and find the video with the number of turns (exactly 12 turns, keep the handle open) to remove the lock cylinder without dropping it down into the door (BTDT), pull the cylinder and lube it with some good lube and get it loosened up.
Then to heck with that $3 door switch, find the Hyundia door switch conversion and do it. I've done it to 3 cars now, it beats taking the latch out hands down. You need a Hyundai door switch, but they are the old style and you can pop it into the fuse cover door.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
What’s the best way to fix the micro switch ?
Usually just snipping the wires and soldering a new switch to the wires and melting the microswitch plastic legs in place on the module. There's a direct replacement microswitch. There's an entire thread dedicated to it

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Then to heck with that $3 door switch, find the Hyundia door switch conversion and do it. I've done it to 3 cars now, it beats taking the latch out hands down. You need a Hyundai door switch, but they are the old style and you can pop it into the fuse cover door.
Got a link to the switch and plug that goes with it?

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Not a link, I get them at the JY, actually my son picked these up. Get the screw too, it's a self tapper and works great. (I think any 2 wire door switch will work).

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Thanks .... I will look when I get into NY state... they won’t allow you to wander the salvage yards in NJ.... it’s an “ insurance thing “ my a$$ it is.......

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Hmmmmmm...So my problem is not the same, but it definitely has to do with lock cylinders. I'm surprised I got 0 responses since Saturday, but you've gotten 11.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Ok all what do I keep doing wrong reinstalling the lock cylinder?? I found a wrecker cylinder, had my locksmith basically make one good one with my key and current cylinder out of the one out of my car and 2 from the wrecker. Anyway when I go to reinstall ( following the 12 turn method above ) it doesn't tighten. And low and behold some clip fell inside the door again. Like I did this 5 years ago approx and same issue. I ended up having the local mechanic install. And probably will again!! Any insight is appreciated.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep…….. you dropped the big C clip that holds the lock cylinder in place.
Inside door panel has to come off and that piece needs to be put back into its slot…… personally I think 12 turns is too much….. l usually pull on it with the key while backing out that screw till it releases then give it one more turn so installation goes easy….just my .02

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lol they say third times a charm….good luck