"Drive it. You’ll get it." - New VWoA campaign

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
\"Drive it. You’ll get it.\" - New VWoA campaign

26 March 2004
MORE THAN EVER, DRIVING IS FOCUS OF A NEW VOLKSWAGEN CAMPAIGN—“DRIVE IT. YOU’LL GET IT.”

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Once again, Volkswagen of America, Inc. is focusing its advertising message on the unique German-engineered driving experience of its vehicles as it aggressively launches, “Drive it. You’ll Get it”—a new campaign that boldly reinforces with U.S. car buyers that Volkswagen is and always will be the ‘Drivers wanted” brand.
The thrust of the new marketing push centers on Volkswagen’s vehicles and how they continue to provide a driving and product experience different from other cars in their market segments. Volkswagen’s latest campaign is being executed with a balance between strong brand and retail messages.
From a brand perspective, the “Drive it. You’ll Get it” theme focuses on what it feels like to drive a Volkswagen with creative that shows consumers discovering what makes a Volkswagen a Volkswagen, and, a great driving car. Messaging encourages consumers to test drive a Volkswagen for a first-hand experience.
The retail campaign, meanwhile, centers around a series of sales drive events, to be held at different intervals throughout the year. The first program launches on Thursday, April 1, with the “Volkswagen Spring Sales Drive,” communicating special retail pricing and APR’s with the mantra: “Now’s a great time to buy a Volkswagen.” Together, the brand and retail programs highlight core attributes of Volkswagen vehicles, while underscoring a tradition of offering drivers an accessible, German-engineered driving experience like no other.
"This 2-pronged campaign concentrates on what makes Volkswagen great and that, first and foremost, is our product,” said Zafar Brooks, General Marketing Manager, Volkswagen of America, Inc. “Our goal is to reinvigorate the ‘Driver’ position with a new approach that is fresh and aggressive but also remains true to the brand and Volkswagen’s creatively different modus operandi.”
The new Volkswagen campaign will be supported with major television, radio and a direct mail program. Dealer showroom materials, designed to educate and motivate consumers, meanwhile, include license plate covers, mirror danglers, snap lock posters, hang tags and trading cards, each sporting the “Drive it. You’ll Get it” theme. All materials are tagged with a specific URL: www.driveitgetit.com, leading to a Volkswagen microsite where consumers can find out more about what makes a Volkswagen a Volkswagen—from torque and cornering to 4Motion and German engineering for the Autobahn.
Boston-based Arnold Worldwide, Volkswagen’s longtime advertising agency of record, provides all creative which will highlight, at different times, nearly the entire range of Volkswagen’s product offerings, including: Jetta, Passat, New Beetle, Golf/GTI, Touareg, R32 and Phaeton W12, respectively.
“2004 is a very important year for Volkswagen,” added Brooks. “ We are intensely focused and dedicated to promoting the basic tenants, the very foundation, of this great brand. Real drivers want great cars and outstanding rides. Volkswagen truly provides them with both like no other car company.”
Founded in 1955, Volkswagen of America, Inc. is headquartered in Auburn Hills, Michigan. It is a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, headquartered in Wolfsburg, Germany. Volkswagen is one of the world’s largest producers of passenger cars and Europe’s largest automaker. Volkswagen of America and its affiliates employ approximately 3,000 people in the United States and are responsible for the sale and service of Audi, Bentley, and Volkswagen products through retail networks comprising in total more than 900 independent U.S. dealers.

kyote321

Veteran Member
TDI
golf td1, 2002, black

hate to be the dark cloud, but VW's motto should be: "drive it, you'll get it serviced." Reliability ratings puts them close to the bottom, and that is the bottom line on why more people don't buy VWs in the US.

RogueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI Black

[ QUOTE ]
hate to be the dark cloud, but VW's motto should be: "drive it, you'll get it serviced." Reliability ratings puts them close to the bottom, and that is the bottom line on why more people don't buy VWs in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be partially true, but I believe the ratings you refer to have been very overblown. I dont recall the details, but someone recently debunked the rating process for at least one such rating. I dont doubt VWs might have a few more bugs than most, but I wouldnt consider them unreliable cars that need excessive service. This myth is getting totally out of hand. Every other person believes it, but doesnt really know why, except that its a popular notion.

As for the VW ad campaign - more crap from VW's ad agency. Have they switched yet??

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk

I heard an interview with the Consumer Reports head of auto testing on the local NPR station a couple weeks back when their most recent auto issue came out. Their recommended family sedan was the V6 Passat. The interviewer asked him why the 1.8T wasn't recommended and he said "VW has had a lot of problems with their 4 cylinder engines... mostly coil pack recalls."

So probably the 4-cyl gas engines are pulling down the reliability numbers. And have those coil pack issues been solved? And isn't there an extension of the warranty on them?

RED2003CUMMINS

My mother drives a 2003 Passat V6 4Motion. She loves the car... I haven't heard her complaining about any issues and she drives ALOT! Maybe it's because the 4Motion Passat is assembled in Germany... She being German made it a quest to only buy a VW that was assembled in Germany... The BMW's she was looking at were assembled all over the map... South Africa, South Carolina (?), ...

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hate to be the dark cloud, but VW's motto should be: "drive it, you'll get it serviced."

[/ QUOTE ]

How about "Drive it, and YOU'LL get serviced..."

RogueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI Black

[ QUOTE ]
I heard an interview with the Consumer Reports head of auto testing on the local NPR station a couple weeks back when their most recent auto issue came out. Their recommended family sedan was the V6 Passat. The interviewer asked him why the 1.8T wasn't recommended and he said "VW has had a lot of problems with their 4 cylinder engines... mostly coil pack recalls."

So probably the 4-cyl gas engines are pulling down the reliability numbers. And have those coil pack issues been solved? And isn't there an extension of the warranty on them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. The coil pack issue is very old, and the original main reason for all the VW hatred/vitriol. Unfortunately, those sentiments have festered to the point where it has become popular to bash VWs for no good reason.

New 1.8T engines dont have the coil pack issue, which makes this reviewer's recommendation rather suspect IMO. There is no reason not to get a new 1.8T-powered VW.

UTAH

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI/DSG

I'm a Consumer Reports subscriber and pariticpate in their auto surveys. There's quite a lag when compiling Consumer Reports or other quality analysis results. CR is just now polling its members for the annual CR auto survey and will release the stats gained in about 4 months. Now that the infamous coil issue has been handled, I would expect the service ratings of VW to rise again.

Bill /images/graemlins/smile.gif

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

I worked at Volkswagen during the beginnings of the coil pack issue, as well as all the Bosch supplied oxygen sensors and MAF sensors dying on the 2.0L cars. We also saw quite a few failed 096 automatics (most A3 Golf/Jettas) and quite a few DMF failures, mainly on 1.8T cars. And lets not forget the power window regulators /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, as well as the assorted glove box doors, cupholders, etc.

But, 90% of these above mentioned issues has been resolved, and even then not every car had those problems. Our dealership also sold Nissans, during the pre-Renault dark days. They were in pretty sorry shape, the Altima was a hunk of crap, the Quest was a half-Ford joke, even some Maximas had warranty claims in excess of $3000 on a pretty regular basis. Also, Nissan had recalls like every month!

Now I think both Nissan and Volkswagen have improved some, but I can tell you first hand quite a bit of the problem isn't the cars, it's the dealership networks. VOA seems to not be able to mandate a strict guideline on technician training...the dealer sends you whenever they feel they don't need you. Well, guess what? Dealer service departments are, by and large, greedy! So, they ALWAYS need their technicians present. Nissan was not like this at all. They made everyone take a starter course, which was pretty extensive, before you did anything above an oil change. Their are VW technicians at dealerships right now that may have been on the job for a couple years and have never, ever, set one foot in any VW training center.

What does this mean? Well, at our dealership we had cars going through their PDI (pre delivery inspection) improperly. Readiness codes not being set, floormat hold downs not installed, missing fuses that were not present for transport, plastic tabs here and there that were supposed to be removed, yada yada yada. My favorite was when they had the $7/hr porter installing a set of alloy wheels on a NB one day. "Hey, did you use a torque wrench on those wheel bolts?"..."Um, dude, what's a torque wrench?"

Yep, it sickened me, and now I am back at an independent, the one I was at before. With a nicer, cleaner shop with more modern, safer equipment.

Epictitus

TDI
2004 Passat GLS TDI variant

I went to the "Drive It/Buy It" site. Special 0.9 financing on all Passats, except TDI.

Dana Bartholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver

Wow Oilhammer. Your post should raise the eyebrows of all new Dubb owners in St. Louis -- and beyond.

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver

"Drive it. You'll get it."

I drove it, and I do love my Golf, Cliff's Jetta, and my mom's Passat 1.8T. Unfortunately, after buying the car, you get it!

Yes, the VW is a great value for the money. Nothing in the price class beats them IMO. Comfortable well appointed cabin, a nice diving car, yada, yada, yada!

But, these are the "its" that you get that are screwing VW in the US:
Incompentent dealers who do not know how to fix the cars and charge buckets of duckets to screw up your car.

Piddly crap that goes wrong with the car. Most of it is minor, BUT VWoA and its dealer network either claim it is your fault or "with factory specs" instead to just fixing the issue.

Corporate does not stand behind its product. Getting things repaired under warranty is always a battle of sorts.

My personal favourite are the Customer Care reps who are nothing more than farmed out order takers who "understand your concerns" yet do not posses the ability/authority to do anything.

Overall, VW has a quality product but the customer service is absolute ****e! They need to get their act together if they want to survive in the US.

They also need to stop penny pinching on certain things b/c it usually BACKFIRES, i.e., window regulators, coil packs, plastic trim that feels nice when new then starts to peel, etc., etc.

I love my TDI and do not like having to take is to a dealer. VW WAKE UP: THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE!! 90% of their dealers aren't up to par on TDIs and their product line in general. I should not have to worry that if I take my car into a dealer for basic maintenance that there is a better chance than not that they will screw it up! That is simply unacceptable. The avaerage consumer WILL NOT put up with that.

VWoA ARE YOU LISTENING? I sure hope so for your own sake however, based on my experiences and that of a multitude of others, probably NOT! /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Also, the VW advertising in the 60's was GREAT! Then, with the A4 product line VW got it right again. Now, I dunno. It's getting a little old. Perhaps that it b/c I have already dealt with VWoa and seen them for what they are? I dunno. I do know this: There is a LOT of 20-30 somethings that have owned VW, been burned by the VW b/s, and will probably never buy another again. Myself personally, I am sitting on the fence. My boyfriend, on the other hand, raises his middle finger in salute /images/graemlins/tongue.gif when passing any and all VW dealers except for VW of North Attleboro in North Attleborough, MA.

sigh....Tommy

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
\"Drive it. You?ll get it.\" - New VWoA campaign

I don't know...to me, the whole "Drive it, you'll buy it" sounds a lot like Saab's "People who testdrive a Saab, usually buy a Saab"...

As for dealership support, I did a timing belt change on a TDI last Saturday, a local dealer had done the last one on that car. The timing belt was so slack that I could easily run my finger between the idler roller and the belt...and the belt teeth were only engaged with 3/4 of the crank pulley teeth, they were riding ON the teeth the rest of the way...and the dealer had rounded out the inside of one of the harmonic balancer bolts; I saw where they had used something on the outside of the bolt to get it out...then they re-used the same flipping bolt! And according to the owner, the dealership needed an extra day to do all of this....

For my 2 cents, I think VWoA should use some of those advertising $$ to focus more on bolstering the satisfaction and confidence of the current customer base...repeat customers and positive word-of-mouth go further than any snazzy ad campaign.

Keith

PGirard

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf

No doubt! My 00' Golf is still under warrantee and I take it to the same indie import shop I take my Fox. The tech loves V dub's and really loves deisels. To him they are easy money cause he does not find them so difficult to work on.
My 2cents

voltron1011

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 smart fortwo

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, it sickened me, and now I am back at an independent, the one I was at before. With a nicer, cleaner shop with more modern, safer equipment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me about it. These car companies must feel like their hands are tied behind their backs. They try to make a decent vehicle and the Stealerships go out and give the company a bad name/rep. Think about these ultra-mega Dodge/Nissan/Chevorlet/Mercedes/VW/Yugo dealerships that sell more than one brand. Can you honestly tell me that these Mega-Lots can give you the kind of service you are hoping to get? I have worked on many different cars and I can say for a fact that VWs ARE different from Japanese and American cars.

STNK BG 1

Veteran Member
TDI
NB,2001,yellow

Just as a piece of trivia, VW's first advertising slogan was "Yesterday a dream - today reality". /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

RED2003CUMMINS

I drove a 04 Jetta TDI Wagon this weekend. Liked it alot... Wish it came with 4Motion... THEN I WOULD GET IT!

ToDIfor

The VW dealership in my area are part of a mega-group, but interestingly, in my area none of the mega-group dealerships use the same lot. In fact, the Honda store is on one side of town and the VW dealership is on the other, etc., etc.

Regardless, the sales and service staff at the VW dealership seem very nice and friendly. Even got to sit down and talk with the service manager. The facility is new, less than two years old.

Oilhammer: I was born and raised in St. Louis and my grandpa did indeed have incridible (and by that I mean incredibly bad) time trying to get his Jetta serviced when we still lived there in the early-mid '90s. Lou Fuz was the dealership, I believe...

some_raisins

TDI
Golf TDS 2002, Indigo Blue

Maybe it was just a dream... But I remember seeing a commercial within the last week involving a guy doing a test drive of a Jetta TDI. The salesman tells him to try swinging out into the other lane and start passing cars. Salesman says "Watch. See how they're all braking? Can you feel the power?" Then the guy driving starts laughing maniacally, looks over to a car he's passing and the other driver gives him a weird look. Has anyone else "seen" this?

RogueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI Black

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it was just a dream... But I remember seeing a commercial within the last week involving a guy doing a test drive of a Jetta TDI. The salesman tells him to try swinging out into the other lane and start passing cars. Salesman says "Watch. See how they're all braking? Can you feel the power?" Then the guy driving starts laughing maniacally, looks over to a car he's passing and the other driver gives him a weird look. Has anyone else "seen" this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have been dreaming. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Either that, or I am dying to see this commercial! /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S

I've seen that commercail. I didn't think that it was a TDI. I know the passat commercial where they talk about low end torque isn't.

Perhaps they don't want to spend $$$ on a commercial that they can't show everywhere /images/graemlins/confused.gif

-Jason