Drive Clean Facility - Richmond Hill

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Hey all. I know it's a thorn in our side, but every two years we have to shell out the $40 to get an emissions test. Well, my time came and I always hate going to Canadian Tire (in Aurora, they pretty much are the only automotive service center open on the weekend). So, I made the trip to Richmond Hill to go to a shop I normally go to for this. Well, turns out that a lot of mechanics take the weekends off in Richmond Hill during the summer months. (including the shop I go to)

To make a long story short, I found a nice little spot which I thought I would share with everyone. It's called "Emission Test Center", and guess what, it's all they do! It's a tiny place: single bay. The guy was competent and performed the visual test while another vehicle was being run through the system. Must be quite new, as it is VERY clean inside. It's on a dead end of a street, so many people don't know about it (read: short lines). I went to Canadian Tire in northern Richmond Hill and the wait was 2.5 hrs. I went to this place and was out in 20 min.

Address is:
Unit 3 300 Enford Rd, Richmond Hill, ON
(905) 237-5356
(Yonge and Elgin Mills area)

For those who haven't done a test in a while, ALL vehicles are entered into the computer; no more hand-written forms for diesels.

Just thought I'd share a positive shop experience, and what seems like a quick place to get an emissions test done.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
yeah i just got mine done again for a couple years

Peterborough has an Emissions center, and that looks like that's all they do, no lifts or anything

Was a quick in and out trip except for the wallet being 40 dollars lighter

Crazy thing is the car smokes like a freight train, anyone that was at vagkraft can attest to that, LOL

T

TDI Rooster

Hey all. I know it's a thorn in our side, but every two years we have to shell out the $40 to get an emissions test. Well, my time came and I always hate going to Canadian Tire (in Aurora, they pretty much are the only automotive service center open on the weekend). So, I made the trip to Richmond Hill to go to a shop I normally go to for this. Well, turns out that a lot of mechanics take the weekends off in Richmond Hill during the summer months. (including the shop I go to)
To make a long story short, I found a nice little spot which I thought I would share with everyone. It's called "Emission Test Center", and guess what, it's all they do! It's a tiny place: single bay. The guy was competent and performed the visual test while another vehicle was being run through the system. Must be quite new, as it is VERY clean inside. It's on a dead end of a street, so many people don't know about it (read: short lines). I went to Canadian Tire in northern Richmond Hill and the wait was 2.5 hrs. I went to this place and was out in 20 min.
Address is:
(905) 237-5356
For those who haven't done a test in a while, ALL vehicles are entered into the computer; no more hand-written forms for diesels.
Just thought I'd share a positive shop experience, and what seems like a quick place to get an emissions test done.

Actually if you are in a line-up -- you should mention you have a diesel and you go straight to the front of the line because all they do is input your VIN check your exhaust and gas cap and you pay $$ and you are done in 5 min. less than gasser... I went to a emission test center and was told that by the operator the next visit I come no appointment required.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
Actually if you are in a line-up -- you should mention you have a diesel and you go straight to the front of the line because all they do is input your VIN check your exhaust and gas cap and you pay $$ and you are done in 5 min. less than gasser... I went to a emission test center and was told that by the operator the next visit I come no appointment required.

No they dont! i got into an argument with the idiot that worked at CT bc of the same reason. I told him here is the freaking money but why the **** do i have to stay in line for 2.5hrs????ohh well, i just went to a mechanic shop drove in /out in 15min!

CT sucks!!!!! :)

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
No they dont! i got into an argument with the idiot that worked at CT bc of the same reason. I told him here is the freaking money but why the **** do i have to stay in line for 2.5hrs????ohh well, i just went to a mechanic shop drove in /out in 15min!

CT sucks!!!!! :)
Agreed. CT won't move you to the front of the line. CT actually has to drive your car onto the machine and run some testing of the RPM, etc. Mechanic shops might bump you, but like I said, a lot of the ones in the area I was in were closed on Saturdays during the summer. Aurora shops aren't even open on the weekends (at least none that do drive clean tests...other than CT).

Just wanted to share a place that's kind of hidden, and many likely aren't aware of. Quick test, clean facility, and no hassles.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Thanks for the tip. The place I went to was a few min drive to my in-laws (where I could drop off my wife and daughter), so it was convenient enough for me. :)

Good to know for the future, but won't need one for another 2 years.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Hahahah "great e-test work" Hahahahahaa

It's a VISUAL INSPECTION hahahaha I could do it, too ;) :D
Do you have training and are a certified by Drive Clean Ontario to see if there is soot coming out of the tailpipe? You need to be highly trained to do great e-test work on these cars.

Pfft! Amature! :p

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi

I went to crappy tire once back when I had my my 92 jetta, mid day on a saturday, lady says we have no appointments available until 2/3 ish, I said to her if I told you it was a diesel could you fit me in, she took the keys out of my hand and said come back in 5 mins. Car didn't move from the spot it was in.

BRUTAL MONEY GRAB. I had to do 2 cars this year, thankfully both passed.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Do you have training and are a certified by Drive Clean Ontario to see if there is soot coming out of the tailpipe? You need to be highly trained to do great e-test work on these cars.
Pfft! Amature! :p
I'll print off a certificate from the internet if it'll convince you of my awesome abilities to e-test a diesel :p

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi

Address is:
(905) 237-5356

Next time if you want you can also go to the Firestone shop on Yonge Street, south of Elgin Mills. They do all the VW Richmond Hill and Wilson Niblett emission tests. The private shop you are talking about has been there for about a year now and they too handle Wilson Niblett, Enterprise and Budget cars for testing.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Next time if you want you can also go to the Firestone shop on Yonge Street, south of Elgin Mills. They do all the VW Richmond Hill and Wilson Niblett emission tests. The private shop you are talking about has been there for about a year now and they too handle Wilson Niblett, Enterprise and Budget cars for testing.
Thanks for the info. Didn't think about the Firestone shop there. Didn't know these were the places for testing for the dealers. Good to know.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Be thankfull its ONLY $40 and its only a visual inspection. If it were a true sniffer test, it may cost way more than that if it doesn't pass. If you lived in the UK, you would have to pay to have your car safety inspected every year. They have to have a MOT sticker issued every year and in order to get it, your car has to pass a safety inspection. Now that could be hundreds of dollars every year instead of just $40 every 2 years. Right now, we only pay for a safety if the ownership changes. Imagine having to do it every year. And they typically cost $75-$80 just for the inspection If it doesn't pass, then the repair bill on top of that can be hundreds.

Considering 99% of the vehicles that get inspected are gas cars and actually do get tested for actual emmisions, I think its a good program to keep serious polluters off the highway. I don't mind paying $40 to walk in & out in 5 min with my test and not have to have it driven up on the rollers.

Last edited:

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Nigel, you can go closer to home for the safety inspection program. I think some provinces out east have a similar system in place. I think it's a safety inspection every two years instead of emissions. Personally, the safety test I think would be a better idea. Newer cars generally don't have emission problems, and the safety tests might be more effective at getting clunkers off the road. As a convenience issue, I much prefer the emissions test. In and out and all done. Would take a LOT longer to get safetied. Plus, if they would do that here, they really need to update the automotive safety standards.

I thought I hear of something in some european countries that you also get charged a fee based on the horsepower of your vehicle. If you mod it, your registration fee goes up based on the horsepower of the car.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
i'd pay for an safety inspection each year or every other year, cause that would mean all cars would be safe, alot of people don't maintain there cars and that would help

this whole etest thing is a waste, diesels should just be exempt

but a safety inspection would do a world of good for everyone

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Ahh... Safety Checks... Memories of my youth in New York City... (Many Lifetimes ago...)

A buddy of mine bought his first car - a 194x monstrously large something or other... (Plymouth???) Of course, one needed a "safety" sticker on the windshield... So he came over to my side of the neighborhood, and we went to one of the local shops... The guy got in, put it in Forward and rolled it about 10 feet... Put it in Reverse and drove back 10 feet, and gave my friend his sticker... (for the specified government-mandated fee, of course...)

Ahh... the Good Old Days...

(This is making me feel old...)

Yuri

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Ahh... Safety Checks... Memories of my youth
Australia has annual safety checks too... but no safety check on change of ownership.

In my youth I bought rusted out cars with 2-3 months left on the license sticker and no chance of passing again at the auction for $50 or so, and drove them until they died or the sticker expired, whichever came first.

The car jockeys at the auction made money on the side by siphoning out all but a whiff of gas and swapping in dead batteries. If you didn't know about this your "new" car wouldn't start after you stopped for gas just up the road, and you got scammed another $50 for a used battery - the gas station always just happened to have a few on hand :rolleyes:

Simon