Drive By Wire Throttle Lag!

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual since 09/28/12-04/05/18, 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual Since 03/29/2018
Can anyone confirm above for 2015 passat TDI manual?

had similar throttle lag from day one for 2013 passat tdi (manual) as well !

dealer said it's normal, takes little time (less than half sec before turbo spools ups). to my thinking it does not have linear throttle response!.

found some info here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5394922 but for passat coding or adaptation not avail under steering.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
every drive by wire I have driven feels terrible- the NMS is pretty awe full, I showed my friend (who is a veteran mechanic) how bad it is by quickly stomping the car completely to the floor and immediately letting up and the engine doesn't even respond at all, just stays as the same idle. he laughed, said things have indeed changed and they are all emission related. The cars computer receives the pedal input in real time, but then has to check boost- if boost is not where it needs to be the computer only gives you the fuel that the emissions system can handle, once boost builds then its game time... but yeah, its terrible. Some of my younger friends pick at me for driving and loving my mechanical Cummins 12 valve in my old dodge truck- im like, go drive it- the instant response amazes them!

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The issues you're experiencing have nothing to do with drive-by-wire. They have to do with managing emissions. My '93 Mercedes is mechanical but has their early primitive system for limiting smoke. Response on tip-in is very sluggish. Conversely, my '02 Jetta with extensive mods is super responsive, despite being drive-by-wire. When I got my '15 GSW I was disappointed with the response to the pedal after the fix. A tune made it much better.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The issues you're experiencing have nothing to do with drive-by-wire. They have to do with managing emissions. My '93 Mercedes is mechanical but has their early primitive system for limiting smoke. Response on tip-in is very sluggish. Conversely, my '02 Jetta with extensive mods is super responsive, despite being drive-by-wire. When I got my '15 GSW I was disappointed with the response to the pedal after the fix. A tune made it much better.

BINGO

VW coded in delay and fluff in to the throttle response for the MQB platforms in seaking out an extra .5MPG. Stock, its set to "gradual over time" changing it to "direct" is night and day. I'd describe it a s direct, stab the peddle and you know what you're going to get, direct pull.

I haven't confirmed if the '15 Passat has the same ABS module and coding, but did perform the change on our Alltrack and am very very happy with it. But the fly-by-wire is not the cause of any issue.

The other thing you may be facing is issues with the DSG, it's coded not a race transmission, but as a daily driver, and it gives up the blinding performance and gear banging for smoothness and a bit of laggyiness.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...The other thing you may be facing is issues with the DSG, it's coded not a race transmission, but as a daily driver, and it gives up the blinding performance and gear banging for smoothness and a bit of laggyiness.
...in exchange for longevity...(?)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Everything is about compromise, but IMO with stock coding of the DSG and the fluid changes, I don't think any TDI will have and issue with longevity, even a DSG tune prob won't shorten the life if you drive within reason.

Now a stg 3 golf R running e85 and ripping up the drag strip trying to get 10's is a different beast.