Dreaded p2002 fault

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hello,

Long time no talk. 5 HPFP failures was because the mechanic(s) neglected to check the fuel tank, it was covered in mold/mildew from sitting 2 years during buyback process. If they checked, there would have no HPFP failures. A lot headaches would have been avoided.

Plus several other problems with Passat that was neglected by the mechanic(s). So I lodged an big lengthy complaint(s) with VWoA for those idiotic mechanics, I am beyond furious and they wasted our time.

Now from on, I do oil changes and such myself.

Anything major such as AC replacement will be covered by warranty, anything else, I won’t bother. I am done with their bullcrap.

Its like if they are hiring monkeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Just in this thread alone it shows the incredible DPF failure rate.
My concern has been why?
Short around town vrs highway?
Would idle before shut down be helpful(turbo timer)?
What can we do as owners of these cars to eliminate this issue which has gotten worse after fix.?

I know the answer is delete/tune, but I live in a smog check area... so....

I bought an 11 as a low mile/use/around town back up car but that type of use it sees seems the worst thing I could do. I.E. DPF life. Fortunately its a CPO w/ brand new DPF and overall like new condition. The next 2 years the warrenty covers may only see 25-30k. My guess it may be saturated... but not enough...?

I think my answer is an interface sold thru Kerma (I cant remember the units name right now). It displays when your regening and soot level, amoung other input on the dash MFD
mostly highway for me. and you can tune while keeping the emmisions system. i believe up to stage 2 with malone. it has ti do with how the computers were remapped. to cut down on nox they run the car more rich, wich creates more soot. the dpf life was halved because of this.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
best part is the dpf is not covered in europe. i have about 1200miles since my hard reset and 7 total regens.

srlbotanical

TDI
2011 JSW TDI Platinum Gray/Black Manual, Stage 2, Deleted
Bumping this thread back from the dead. I've had the P2002 pop up 3 times. first two times the dealer did a re-gen and sent me on my way, 3rd time was the charm. I'm now on the waiting list driving with the CEL until parts come in. Service writer said it was a 4-6 week wait.

If you've had your DPF replaced under warranty, how long did you wait on parts?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Just in this thread alone it shows the incredible DPF failure rate.
My concern has been why?
Short around town vrs highway?
Would idle before shut down be helpful(turbo timer)?
What can we do as owners of these cars to eliminate this issue which has gotten worse after fix.?
I think my answer is an interface sold thru Kerma (I cant remember the units name right now). It displays when your regening and soot level, amoung other input on the dash MFD
Well Ive answered alot about this TDI in the time since my previous post. Yes the short town/cold weather jaunts have been scaled back. I am still using the TDI to keep miles down on my Subarus 10 year warrenty as I had originally planned.

Ive installed the Polar FIS unit and love it. Im surprised how often (but normal) soot builds in non hyway conditions. It will commonly active regens in 150 miles. It only takes a couple minutes to zero the soot though as the DPF is new and the car runs like new.

I just received the Kerma tune and am in the process of installing it. Im anxious to see how the numbers stack up.

I will be installing a turbo timer on it also. It has never taken more than a minte to bring EGTs down below 400* even on over *100 days. Only exception is if the a/c is running and dumping heat. The system will not iidle the temps below about *425

mostly highway for me. and you can tune while keeping the emmisions system. i believe up to stage 2 with malone. it has ti do with how the computers were remapped. to cut down on nox they run the car more rich, wich creates more soot. the dpf life was halved because of this.
Kerma claims to cut the soot pretty dramatically. Thats one of the main reasons I justified the $ on the tune. The possible MPG would definately satisfie my apprehensiveness to put out the long green.

Bumping this thread back from the dead. I've had the P2002 pop up 3 times. first two times the dealer did a re-gen and sent me on my way, 3rd time was the charm. I'm now on the waiting list driving with the CEL until parts come in. Service writer said it was a 4-6 week wait.
If you've had your DPF replaced under warranty, how long did you wait on parts?

Last edited:

thatwhitejsw

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 JSW TDI
2011 JSW TDI, I had purchased it w/ 30k mi, DPF/EGR cooler, EGR valve, etc, all replaced under warranty at 49k mi. Was given a loaner car the whole time the car was sitting and waited ~ 1 month & 1/2 until it was done.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
2011 JSW TDI, I had purchased it w/ 30k mi, DPF/EGR cooler, EGR valve, etc, all replaced under warranty at 49k mi. Was given a loaner car the whole time the car was sitting and waited ~ 1 month & 1/2 until it was done.
That's what is scary. Such major/expensive work @ 49k. That isn't uncommon either. I knew this going into my CPO purchase (mine got the dpf and the works too @ 69k). My thought/gamble is to be hyper vigilant and with the bill on VW it will hopefully be the great deal as a backup vehicle as planned. So far I'm very happy with the money spent.

spaktacular

TDI
2011 JSW, 6 stick
Ten years from when they were fixed or ten years since they were made?
Easiest way to determine is enter your VIN number in on the VW Emissions warranty lookup - https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/

The 10 years/120,000 miles is from original in-service date. So, if you had a 2015 car that was modified at, say, 30,000 miles in 2018, the 'extended warranty' might run out before that 10/120 level is reached.

Good luck :)