dreaded P00AF - Actuator module being "stuck"

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
yep.... got the CEL on and off yesterday then last night it stays on and infamous limp mode.

here's the graph.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
sometimes I turn it off, 10 seconds then restarts... code gone. sometimes come back on after starting up. sometimes fine.

GTD170

Veteran Member
TDI
VW GOLF GTD MK6 CR170
sometimes I turn it off, 10 seconds then restarts... code gone. sometimes come back on after starting up. sometimes fine.
Bit out of my league if i'm honest but sounds as if it's definitely a replacement job.
Best of luck

BTW i see darkside intercooler soon for your jetta SW......if you have plenty of clearance, for £30 extra you can get their beefed up intercooler, the one i wish i got.
standard s3 intercooler aluminium ends one is more than ok but yeh £30 is worth the extra........Normal s3 is 40mm thick......beefy one is 55mm thick.
check clearance though because if i did opt for it......already my fans shroud is 5mm from touching a few things xD

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Just a thought but......wouldn't an oil catch can prevent this issue ?

Still waiting on my heater hose :rolleyes:
It's the vanes in the turbo Getting stuck. Granted it could be an actuator or the n75. Which all should be checked first. This code is exhaust, not intake. So I dont believe a catch an would help.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Check for vacuum at the wastegate. See if its holding, then check if the N75 is cracked/damage/leaking. Make sure all the vacuum lines are okay and not kinked or damaged. If all of those check out, You can get the actuator separately.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Bit out of my league if i'm honest but sounds as if it's definitely a replacement job.
Best of luck

BTW i see darkside intercooler soon for your jetta SW......if you have plenty of clearance, for £30 extra you can get their beefed up intercooler, the one i wish i got.
standard s3 intercooler aluminium ends one is more than ok but yeh £30 is worth the extra........Normal s3 is 40mm thick......beefy one is 55mm thick.
check clearance though because if i did opt for it......already my fans shroud is 5mm from touching a few things xD
Yep I already have the intercooler but yet installed. will install once my back is doing ok, scatia nerves for 2 weeks now. LOL

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Check for vacuum at the wastegate. See if its holding, then check if the N75 is cracked/damage/leaking. Make sure all the vacuum lines are okay and not kinked or damaged. If all of those check out, You can get the actuator separately.
Yep I have step daughter's 2013 Jetta TDI, can "borrow" her's and test it and go from there. I also have one "shot" CKRA turbo with good actuator. if it ends up being the actuator then swap it. it moves nicely. I couldn't reach my actuator as it sits too close to the firewall and turbo. 2 of N75's are being ordered via FCP Euro to be safe.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
it seems I found the issue. actuator vane area was caked in oil. just cleaned it up with brake cleaner spray. hope it solves that for now and see where the leak is coming from then go from there.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
it seems I found the issue. actuator vane area was caked in oil. just cleaned it up with brake cleaner spray. hope it solves that for now and see where the leak is coming from then go from there.
How many Mali's are on your jsw? May be time for a turbo... Because if it's wet with oil.. just have to stretch it's legs more.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Ive seen the actuators be the cause of the issue most of the time if it isnt the N75 or charge sensor in the intake pipe.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
How many Mali's are on your jsw? May be time for a turbo... Because if it's wet with oil.. just have to stretch it's legs more.
my JSW itself 130k miles and cr170 turbo is approaching 100k miles now. I drive a ton of miles. Installed on Feb 2018 at 48k miles.
So she have a lot of exercise.

just drove her to Texas and back to Florida in a week on Dec 26-Jan 5th 2022, zero issues.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

there's an update.... its the danged actuator! I used mityvac and tested it on blown ckra turbo with good actuator, it held pressure as I stopped at 15.

tried it on my step daughter's 2013 Jetta TDI, held pressure.

tried it on my JSW, dead. doesn't hold pressure at all.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Hello,

there's an update.... its the danged actuator! I used mityvac and tested it on blown ckra turbo with good actuator, it held pressure as I stopped at 15.

tried it on my step daughter's 2013 Jetta TDI, held pressure.

tried it on my JSW, dead. doesn't hold pressure at all.
Glad for the update. Remember to set it correctly

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad for the update. Remember to set it correctly
Yup I have original CJAA turbo with 48k miles sitting. Nobody wants to buy it. So be it. It’s already marked. I will not move the nut and move it into my JSW. The hard part is to remove the bottom nut off the bad actuator so I can slide it out

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Yup I have original CJAA turbo with 48k miles sitting. Nobody wants to buy it. So be it. It’s already marked. I will not move the nut and move it into my JSW. The hard part is to remove the bottom nut off the bad actuator so I can slide it out
I know the feeling. I have a jsw turbo too. *Shrugs*

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Me too. The impeller and everything is like brand new at 100k miles. Very impressed. I rode her hard. Lol

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I saw’ed the old actuator arm off. Bottom nut was bolt in too tight! I tried everything and ended up Stripped it a bit so I knew it…metal saw is the only way. That was a nightmare.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I'm a little confused.... are you saying that vacuum didn't move the actuator, or that it did move it but it just leaked back down?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I'm a little confused.... are you saying that vacuum didn't move the actuator, or that it did move it but it just leaked back down?
If you read. He said it didn't hold pressure at all. What does it matter if it leaked down. It didn't hold. Therefore it's bad. Kaput. Dunzo. Kicked the bucket. It's dead Jim.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
OK. I'll give you my answer after he replaces it and it doesn't fix the problem... then you'll understand why I asked. I'll wait.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I saw’ed the old actuator arm off. Bottom nut was bolt in too tight! I tried everything and ended up Stripped it a bit so I knew it…metal saw is the only way. That was a nightmare.
As far as I know the actuator is meant to hold vaccume. I'm sure you checked to make sure your vanes we're moving. Apologies for our resident know-it-all. Is there a difference between the two actuators?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
first of all... it barely moved. it was way too stiff.

I tested 2 other actuators in 2 other TDI's plus my old CR140 stock turbo, they were easier to move. I tested it with mityvac, all 3 held vacuum.

mine didn't. completely dead.