DPF regen

hawleyrw

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 White M6 w/Prem and Nav
Question on this....Mine runs every so often - no big deal, but today, when it started (I was driving), the idle began to run rough - noticeably rough. Didn't affect acceleration, etc, but at idle, was pretty rough.

anyone experience this?

??

blownaway

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI (waiting for my 02M conversion) 99.5 TDI(totalled) 2002 gasser wagon, 2012 Golf
How are you noticing it when it runs?

cdaily

TDI
2012 jetta tdi 6m
ya truthfully i have no idea when mine regens, how do you know. At least on semi's it tells you when it regens

mrmmacd77

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium
Yeah this happens to mine whenever the car goes into a regen after a cold start.... I've posted about it before, it's been doing it since new... I'm not worried about it since it doesn't seam to effect anything other then idle when stopped... and it only happens once in a blue moon.... clears up after about 7 miles or so anyways..

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
How are you noticing it when it runs?
Your Idle will increase up to about 1000 rpm where mine is normally around 800. Also youll hear your fans kick in to overdrive. Depending on if im moving or not the car will make a slight loss of power when it starts but than its fine during the rest of the regen.

canada_man

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Highline w/Fender & Nav
I can smell it when mine regens. I get the faintest odour through the A/C vents. At first I didn't know what it was but soon I realized it was the DPF cycle.

spish

TDI
None
Noticed this for the first time the other day. Normally, idle will be around 1000 during a regen, but noticed it very rough when it started a regen shortly after a cold start. Normal, I guess? Would love to delete my DPF and re-code my ECU to stop regens altogether...

Slightly off topic; I read somewhere that boost is increased by 2 PSI to compensate for the loss of power that a regen causes. Can anyone confirm this? Also, what exactly is happening during the regen process?

deoncollins69

TDI
2011 jetta sedan 6spM
Noticed this for the first time the other day. Normally, idle will be around 1000 during a regen, but noticed it very rough when it started a regen shortly after a cold start. Normal, I guess? Would love to delete my DPF and re-code my ECU to stop regens altogether...

Slightly off topic; I read somewhere that boost is increased by 2 PSI to compensate for the loss of power that a regen causes. Can anyone confirm this? Also, what exactly is happening during the regen process?
Regan is a process that cleans the particulate from exhaust system. It basically sends diesel to the particulate filter and burns it off. Turning off the regen would not be a wise descision as it would basically plug the system and shut the car down. When my drivers bypass this process in our Volvo tractors it cost our company about 1500$. It's a necessary process.

mrmmacd77

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium
Yes to the increase in boost pressure during a regen... exact numbers I'm not sure about... but there is a noticable increase in power... If you were to delete the DPF you would have to physically take it out of the vehicle.. otherwise like Deon said... you would be clogging your whole system.. Beside's I'm not sure of the smog laws in Canada, but if you were to remove it and needed to go through a smog test... you would most likely fail... Some states like PA and others don't have Diesel emissions testing...
As far as trucks are concerned I understand it that they are removable and cleanable (the DPF) unlike our cars... which are shot after they clog... To my knowledge there is no current kit out there to clean our DPF's without cutting it open...

cdaily

TDI
2012 jetta tdi 6m
yes they are cleanable, but taking the time to pull it send it to a dealer who does "clean" them ( essentially a baking process) it is costly. I had the same issue with drivers when i was working on mack and volvo tractors as well.

Nextwhat

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Highline
I never had a problem with this until this month (@35,000 kms). Now during rgen the car actually rocks at idle? Anybody else have this develop as the car added more miles?

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Mine has always done a mildly rough idle during regen, with no other ill effect I can notice other than MPG loss. I'm not sure I notice all of them anymore, but it seemed like it would regen after a little "hot-rodding" after extended periods of babying it. 82,000+ miles. One concern I have and try to avoid is shutting the motor down when it is doing it's regen thing.