DPF readings?

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I just installed Car Scanner Pro app on my phone to monitor and display engine parameters.
I am trying to figure out which of the available sensors is the one to look at to understand where the DPF is at and when a regen might be ready to start.

The relevant ones I can find are: DPF delta pressure, DPF inlet pressure, and DPF outlet pressure. All in psi units. I also see a "DPF load % to regen" not sure what that is telling me.

Any ideas?
In the past I have not bothered with DPF regens at all, just let them happen and I motor on. I can always tell when one is happening by looking at EGT (bank 1 sensor 1) or NOx absorber Regen status (on or off), or listening for fans at a stop light or after I shut the engine off.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
IIRC, there is a short (10min) and longer (15min) active regen. The short one kicks on when DPF ash load is at 45%. The longer one is activated when load is higher, maybe 55%? I would see if "DPF load % to regen" number is progressively increasing or decreasing with driving over time. If increasing, then once a regen is initiated it should go down. If decreasing (not during a regen), then it may be a countdown type timer?

Hey, you asked for ideas right?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
How many miles between regens?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You might try the trial version of VAGDPF app for android. It is specifically geared for this only. Trial app is free and if it works on your car it is pretty nice. You have the OBDII device already I presume? Soot mass should be between 24 and 5 for regens starting stopping. There is also a percentage bar kind of like you were saying the other app had.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't have Android so VAG DPF is no go for me, thanks anyway. I think I will set up a page on the app to monitor load percent to regen and miles between regen and work with that until I learn more about the car's behavior. I don't think soot mass is one of the parameters on this app, but I will look again. Thanks guys.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
sounds like that % value your app is using that same field to spit out when it thinks a regen will be lit off,

Is this app for iOS? what dongle are you using? are cheap wifi modules still needed for iOS odb readers?

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
The app is for iOS. Using an ELM327 wifi transmitter from OBDII port to my iPhone 8S. The app was only $ 7.00 and the ELM327 $ 15 or so IIRC. Haven't driven the car today so have not investigated the % load to regen numbers yet. The app allows a lot of customization of the displays for various parameters and it will take me a while to get it set up the way I want it. I'll be using the app in my diesel F-250 and maybe my Lexus LS430 too eventually.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I have come to the conclusion that this Car Scanner Pro app is less than ideal for monitoring DPF and regens. The only useful info I could obtain is that I am averaging about 280 miles between regens. That is it.

But, I did learn a few things about the car I did not realize
1. at a steady 55 on flat ground it is making about 2.5-3 lbs boots and running EGTs of about 550-600 dwgrees. Go up a 5 percent grade at 60 and the EGTs immediately climb to 900 -1000 or more.. And cool down just as quickly on the descent.
2. I usually am not asking for the engine to make more than 12-14 lbs of boost. The less boost you request from the engine the better your fuel economy. I was sustaining over 60 mpg at 55 on level ground at 2.5 lbs boost and about 60 percent engine load at 1600 rpms.
3, This turbo spools very quickly and acceleration is excellent if you just ask for it. Some people on here complain about the '15's being doggy and needing a tune for performance. That may be true for the 15s but not for my '13. The only reason I would consider a tune is to deal with post-warranty reliability issues, if they arise.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah standard "torque pro" PID values for VWs offer little useful information. what it lists as transmission temp isn't reading anything for the DSG, it's just mirroring the coolant temp and slapping "transmission coolant" on it.

If you're interested in another option, check out ODBEleven they have an iOS option, for under $100 i think you can get a decent VW specific scan tool that can use to read real time data.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you can also side load torque pro via an amazon kindle, with prime deals going on their cheap tablets that's how I scored a set up for under $60.