DPF R&R vehicle height?

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
To those that have removed a two-piece DPF from a MKV Jetta Sedan, realistically how high does the car need to be in the air? Would a tall jack and standard jack-stands under the subframe be enough? Or is a lift absolutely necessary? I know you need to twist it 180 to clear the subframe, but am having trouble visualizing how much it'll "hook" downward as it is removed.

Thanks

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
To those that have removed a two-piece DPF from a MKV Jetta Sedan, realistically how high does the car need to be in the air? Would a tall jack and standard jack-stands under the subframe be enough? Or is a lift absolutely necessary? I know you need to twist it 180 to clear the subframe, but am having trouble visualizing how much it'll "hook" downward as it is removed.

Thanks
Doesn't have to be all that high. No lift is necessary. I do them on jack stands all the time. Really helps to drop the subframe an inch or two though. It will wiggle out without dropping the subframe, but I think that is way more trouble than it is worth.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Thanks for the info. Does having the LP EGR cooler out change the story with regard to the subframe?

How about a Turbo R&R, assuming the same thing about the EGR Cooler?

A5INKY

TDI
Subframe dropping only relates to getting the DPF out through the tunnel between the body and subframe/steering rack. It will fit w/o dropping them down, but it is so tight I don't care for the fight it takes. The one time I did it w/o dropping was enough for me. EGR filter and cooler don't need the extra room.

ohknaks

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Is it necessary to disconnect/remove the passenger drive axle if you lower the subframe a couple inches?

A5INKY

TDI
Yes, the axle needs to be disconnected at the inboard flange even when the subframe is lowered. You need all the room you can get to squeeze the big DPF out of there. Subframe lowering does not change the position of the axle relative to the rest of the car at all.

Soon as the DPF is out you can pretty much go ahead and bolt the subframe and axle back in place. The delete pipes don't need much room to be installed.