DPF Pressure Sensors Melted

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Pick up an oil filter fuel filter and few other odds and ends, it helps any shipping costs too.

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
Another one melted here! I have an appointment with VW to get it looked at. Hopefully they'll fix it. It doesn't look terribly hard to fix, but I'd rather they buy the parts than me.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
DPF sensors for no DPF?

I believe the software makes those sensors useless.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Malone, or tunezilla/Flashzillia or whatever they go by is the first place I'd look.

Ooga

TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
I 100% cracked mine while I did the TB job and I'm 50/50 if it was my fault or a really brittle sensor. I was actually going to look around for a handy dandy TB DIY on this forum and make note to check that sensor after. Lucky for me I noticed during reinstall and got one to put in. Only have a few thousand miles on it after the swap but everything seems good so far.

Pilifo

TDI
2.0 TDI
Hey guys,

The same thing happened to me, the image is attached - the DPF sensors melted down after a timing belt change by my mechanic. Do you know the part number that I need to replace? I have a 2015 Passat B8 2.0 TDI 140 kW, engine code DFC.

I've searched ebay but the DPF sensors with the lines don't have details about which engine codes they fit. Thanks.

seabee53

TDI
06 Jetta BRM
Same problem after a timing belt change. Got the new sensors from id parts and installed them. Now getting P2453/009299 - Diesel Particle Filter Differential Pressure Sensor: Implausible Signal. 2015 CRUA. Appreciate any insight!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you check wiring? also did you blow out the lines before connecting the sensor?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I believe there is adaptation of the new sensors that need to be done

Super76Nova

TDI
2012, 2013, and 2015 VW Passats.
I had the same issue after a timing belt change.
Hey guys,

The same thing happened to me, the image is attached - the DPF sensors melted down after a timing belt change by my mechanic. Do you know the part number that I need to replace? I have a 2015 Passat B8 2.0 TDI 140 kW, engine code DFC.

I've searched ebay but the DPF sensors with the lines don't have details about which engine codes they fit. Thanks.

Would you be able to post a picture of the wires on the sensor to the right? Mine was melted so badly I couldn't determine the wire order for either sensor.

FrustratedTDI

TDI
2015 sport wagon tdi
it appears my car is covered by the emissions warranty, so i made an appointment at VW for next tuesday. Think its alright to drive it like this till then?

Super76Nova

TDI
2012, 2013, and 2015 VW Passats.
it appears my car is covered by the emissions warranty, so i made an appointment at VW for next tuesday. Think its alright to drive it like this till then?
Honestly, I wouldn't because you could cause more damage to the inside of the engine bay.

alinghi12

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I had the same issue, Timing belt and water pump. Was denied warranty at Hayward VW (I'm naming names). Got the parts on the way as I have to smog. Event the tech at the desk said his manager was being a d word. I went ahead and opened up the over and pulled one of the melted cables back but did re-insert. Those words bit me as a warning to all.

gregwaszak

TDI
2015 Passat
This happened to my '15 MK7 MT Wagen after a t-belt change. It was running fine in town but the first time out on the highway (presumably first re-gen) it went into limp mode. I limped to my errand, then had a CEL on the drive home. Code read DPF Sensor Fail. Sure enough- melted sensor.

It's apparently a thing that can happen sometimes after a t-belt change?

Super late reply but JUST had this same thing happen to my 2015 vw passat. Very very expensive at the dealer for timing belt and then this.. 4k all day

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Is the dealer making you pay for the new connectors and harness after doing the timing belt? The reason these melt after a timing belt job is because the nipples (of the sensor) get torqued when moving the hoses out of the way. I was lucky and caught mine so i epoxied it together; still holds almost two years later but I had no idea I broke it initially

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
How recently did they do the timing belt? I don't think you should be paying here, I thought there was even a service bulletin about this issue

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Yeah, they need to take some responsibility here... They broke the sensor/s doing the timing belt and didn't notice. Majority of the cases here involve a timing belt being done just before and in most cases the dealer covers it if they did the belt. Don't let them charge you for this.

gregwaszak

TDI
2015 Passat
Yeah, they need to take some responsibility here... They broke the sensor/s doing the timing belt and didn't notice. Majority of the cases here involve a timing belt being done just before and in most cases the dealer covers it if they did the belt. Don't let them charge you for this.
What's the best approach to calling them on this? I had to call them out last repair claiming my serpentine belt was cracking a dry and I had them save me the old belt and sure enough, checked records, was replaced less than a year ago and the belt was in perfect condition. The refunded me for the belt and gave me a $50 credit, *******s

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Oh that's not a great sign...

In any case, I'd start politely, always works better then being confrontational. Channel your inner Columbo and ask questions!
  1. Am I still covered by the extended warranty?
  2. What would cause the sensor to melt like that right after the timing belt was changed?
  3. How did the mechanic get around the silver pipes going up to the sensors? Sure looks tight.
  4. Seems odd that it would be trouble free for x years and x miles but melt after being worked on
  5. Why isn't it part of the warranty again?
  6. What can you do to help?
  7. Ones more thing, should I call VWoA?
I wish you luck, keep in mind I'm not a licensed mechanic

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
What's the best approach to calling them on this? I had to call them out last repair claiming my serpentine belt was cracking a dry and I had them save me the old belt and sure enough, checked records, was replaced less than a year ago and the belt was in perfect condition. The refunded me for the belt and gave me a $50 credit, *******s
That sensor is part of the emissions system, how many miles on your car and his it still under extended warranty? Check here >>> https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/ as that is BS even if it's not under warranty. As others said, the sensor is brittle from the heat from the DPF and the dealer didn't unhook and move out of the way, they just pushed out of the way with hoses attached, cracked it. Then the FIRST regen after the tb job the hot gas melted things and made the mess. Smh...