DPF Pressure Sensors Melted

Caddymk4

TDI
Caddy 2.0tdi mk4
Yet another melted DPF sensor. Same story as most have mentioned. I own a 2016 MklV Caddy 2.0tdi which is currently on 206k miles.
I had done 80k miles in 2 years & had a slight noise from the water pump sine the last belt kit changed. I took it to my local garage which have worked a lot on my van, my commutes are normally quite long so I tend to drive it pretty hard & it’s been a good van for it. 1 week after having another belt & waterpump kit changed I was driving home from Cornwall at about 3am in the morning & engine management light came on with a flashing glow plug light , engine went into limp mode. Managed to get it home slowly & sure as eggs are eggs DPF sensor totally melted along with the harness & plug , so it’s currently in the garage again awaiting the outcome. Since having this happen I realised how common a fault it is. It’s putting me off continuing with my VW & trying another manufacturer as I rely so much on my van for work.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Its fine as long as the people working on it are careful with those sensors. They are reliable if the people working on them know what they are doing.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Dealership is Northtown Auto Volkswagen Amherst NY. Yep, kind of makes ya wonder right!!?
Ooof. Glad I never went to them, shopping around now for tb jobs around WNY area now. Not too thrilled with prices so far. Black forest was over $1900, and if I wanted OEM VW parts, said to add 10-15%. At that point, Basil was around $2200, and their parts breakdown actually listed screws(bolts) that would be replaced. Select Euro was close to $1500, but re use all the bolts. CDI was about same, and only replace tensioner bolt. A trusted mechanic in Pa. quoted me $700 parts and labor(I've used before on an older VW diesel), but no longer does it while waiting( needs drop off) , but they're just over 200 miles from me :( .... only dealer I'm trusting at this point for service is Basil in Lockport-I'm still under warranty, so I'm using them for maintenance for now. They've done right by me so far in the almost 2 years I've been using them.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Those prices are insane. We charge $1300 I believe for a TB job. Thats all parts and hardware.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
$1300 canuckistans to boot i'm sure.

Okimic

TDI
2015 GSW
Looking for a part number for my melted sensor connectors. (2015 GSW TDI S)

wish I had seen this thread BEFORE I changed the timing belt. I’d have been even more careful.

actually, I would have just bought new sensors and changed them after finishing the belt.

thanks in advance!

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Looking for a part number for my melted sensor connectors. (2015 GSW TDI S)

wish I had seen this thread BEFORE I changed the timing belt. I’d have been even more careful.

actually, I would have just bought new sensors and changed them after finishing the belt.

thanks in advance!
These?

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Thinking how much shops are getting for TB replacement I should start doing them on the side!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thinking how much shops are getting for TB replacement I should start doing them on the side!
You willing to travel to NH?

I'll fill your trunk with fireworks for your ride back.

Bo Diddley

TDI
Jetta 2015 CVCA
So I had my T-Belt done and that sensor melted within 10miles. I can only leave my car at VW in 7 days.

can I still drive the car for maybe 300miles in a week?

Thank you

Bo Diddley

TDI
Jetta 2015 CVCA
alright then will put that car on hold i guess... didn't really trust VW, they told me as long my CEL (which is on) is not flashing, i can drive the car.

can i still drive a little around to get food or going at VW? or should I have the car towed to VW?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You are essentially blow-torching hot exhaust gas right on to whatever is around that broken pressure sensor. I've seen people drive them to the point that it melted a hole right through the plastic valve cover, and nearly caught the engine on fire.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I mean the CEL will still be on, and eventually flashing once more damage is done, but not good place to be..

One way you could get out of a roadside fix is completely disconnecting the rubber hoses form the sensors and fully plugging the hoses, small dowel or maybe one of those coolant clamps/hemostats.

It's only when the hoses aren't restricted, open to atmosphere due to a crack, that it becomes a pathway for hot exhaust gasses to flow that cause the issues.