DPF light wont turn off

zachzyg

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
My DPF light turned on, on my 2013 Jetta TDI with 140k miles. I drove the car 60 miles today and was able to get the car to go into regen mode. The light was still on even after the regen and I'd like to know what the problem could possibly be. There is no CEL just the dpf light. Trying to see if I can fix it before I take the car to a shop.

thatwhitejsw

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 JSW TDI
Could be your DPF is cracked or having other issues throughout the system. If it hasn't thrown an CEL yet- it probably will.

Petra's cousin

TDI
Mk VI TDI Golf Wagon
Codes for our 2011 show NOx catalyst issues (200k but 70k since dpf replacement). You’ll need a VW specific reader to get the dpf codes.

zachzyg

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Thanks I'm bringing it to the shop next week for a diagnosis. Ill come back to update what is wrong.

lemcc

TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
My DPF light occassionally comes on and tends to stay in winter months when the car doesn't get hot enough to do a proper regen in it's entirety. Kind of like a runaway train effect - dump fuel in to start regen, car doesn't get warm enough, extra soot in dpf, blah blah. Typically in those conditions I've just started driving around in Sport Mode to help it burn off quicker.

But one tip that I found that seems to be fool proof to get the light to go out without a trip to the dealer or ensure a good regen is done, find a stretch of road where you can maintain 45+ mph for a 15 minute stretch or more. (If you dip below from time to time that's fine.) But get the car up to speed and set cruise to desired speed, and use the manual gear selection to ensure the engine RPM is around 2,500. This gets the DPF nice and warm, gets the turbo going and pushing lots of air and temp through the DPF to help get it cleared. As long as the DPF light is on, the ECU should be in a state of 'wanting to regen'. You can also get VCDS and kick off a regen as well.

There is also a few products out there (diesel fuel additives) that you could potentially add that help raise the cetane and such for a better burn. Liqui Moly/ArchOil/etc. Maybe try pro line diesel cleaner/dpf protector. With some of the questionable diesel fuel quality control practices in the US, it's worth a shot!

zachzyg

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Thanks for your input. I have done basically all of what you said. I put in diesel fuel/dpf cleaner in the fuel tank with fresh diesel then took it for a 30 min ride on the highway above 2500 rpms. I was able to get it to regen but the light is still on. I ended up bringing it to a trusted vw mechanic near me and haven't gotten a call yet. I should have an update soon on what exactly it needs.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You need a way to monitor the regens so you can actually tell what is happening. VAGDPF app will do that for you as well as some others. Hard to fix something when you can't see what is wrong or happening. I use it to monitor mine to endure they are happening and completing when required.

zachzyg

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
The mechanic got back to me and said the light had to do with the NOx cat. He was able to get it to regen with highway driving and was able to get the light to be intermittent at least. He is trying to do what he can without replacing it since he said its a $1600-$1800 part. He said if he can take it on a few more highway drives he should be able to clear the problem for the most part. He said the dpf light is off more than it is on now.