DPF issues after replacing

jeffpGOLFTDI

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI SE
New to this forum. I have a 2015 VW Golf TDI with 56,000 miles on it. A couple of months ago, Dpf light as well as glow plug lights came on- both solid. The Golf is also in limp mode. I attempted to drive the car and burn off the extra soot with no luck. Shortly after, I attempted to perform a forced regen, but it wouldn't take. Brought it to the dealership to cover the dpf under warranty, and they denied me. Dealership said it was in need of dpf replacement. I replaced the dpf myself, but after replacing, I am getting the same lights as well as still in limp mode. I attempted to drive 15 minutes around 2k to 2500 rpm's, without any change. Any suggestions now that the dpf has been replaced?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
First, you skipped some steps. What DTC(s) do you have? Did you reset the ECU after the DPF was replaced and check the pressure sensors/tubing?

jeffpGOLFTDI

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI SE
First, you skipped some steps. What DTC(s) do you have? Did you reset the ECU after the DPF was replaced and check the pressure sensors/tubing?
Only DTC that comes up with OBD11 is for the DPF, no other codes. I have not reset the ECU. Pressure sensors and tubing is good to go. Just double checked.

oilhammer

TDI
So, I'll ask once more... what DTC(s) are there, specifically? There are probably a half dozen DTCs related to the DPF. And a half dozen more related to the deNOx catalyst.

When you install a new DPF, you need to tell the ECU you did so, so it learns the pressure differential pressure sensor values from new.

If you didn't do that, then not only will that be a problem, but you could possibly tooef your new DPF, as well as your turbocharger.

Also, you didn't check the pressure sensor tubing. You didn't have enough time between posts.

I am trying to help you.

jeffpGOLFTDI

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI SE
So, I'll ask once more... what DTC(s) are there, specifically? There are probably a half dozen DTCs related to the DPF. And a half dozen more related to the deNOx catalyst.

When you install a new DPF, you need to tell the ECU you did so, so it learns the pressure differential pressure sensor values from new.

If you didn't do that, then not only will that be a problem, but you could possibly tooef your new DPF, as well as your turbocharger.

Also, you didn't check the pressure sensor tubing. You didn't have enough time between posts.

I am trying to help you.
P246300- soot accumulation Bank 1 only code. Going to reset computer immediately.

jeffpGOLFTDI

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI SE

I am trying to help you.

I appreciate your help and only want to get my Golf going. No disrespect or anything like that.

oilhammer

TDI
OK, so the ECU's information on the DPF soot load is done via the Exhaust Differential Pressure Sensors... there are two, the G450 and the G505.

Both are in a little bracket together atop the engine.

The G505 is the one closest to the timing belt end of the engine. The G450 is the other one. Even if your DPF was indeed bad, and the sensor and its tubes were free and clear and not leaking, once the new DPF is installed, all that stuff needs to be reset.

These sensors are very fragile, and they often get damaged from a timing belt job, as all that stuff is in the way. But if there is anything (soot, moisture, etc.) in any of the tubes or hoses, that can also cause an issue. I blow them all out with compressed air.

jeffpGOLFTDI

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI SE
OK, so the ECU's information on the DPF soot load is done via the Exhaust Differential Pressure Sensors... there are two, the G450 and the G505.

The G505 is the one closest to the timing belt end of the engine. The G450 is the other one. Even if your DPF was indeed bad, and the sensor and its tubes were free and clear and not leaking, once the new DPF is installed, all that stuff needs to be reset.

These sensors are very fragile, and they often get damaged from a timing belt job, as all that stuff is in the way. But if there is anything (soot, moisture, etc.) in any of the tubes or hoses, that can also cause an issue. I blow them all out with compressed air.

Thank you! I will blow out those lines and hoses. After that, I will attempt to reset my ecu. Obd11 will not allow me to any reset, that includes hard, soft and on off reset. So I will do it via VCDS.

jeffpGOLFTDI

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI SE

Hoses are off and ready to blow out as well as new sensors in case they were damaged when replacing dpf.

jeffpGOLFTDI

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI SE

Used compressed air on the hoses/lines and installed new sensors G450 and G505. Then reset the ECU with no change when starting. Still have dpf, glow plug and engine light. Rescanned the car and still having only the P246300 code.

ApproachMedium

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Jetta

Just as a side note, is there a specific reset for those 2 sensors? When i swapped my DPF, i just changed the ash load. i didnt see anything on the ross tech site otherwise. It was also 4:30 am and my brain was fried

ApproachMedium

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Jetta
OK so the first one im confused in my VCDS. The second one for the ash load i def did cuz it shows 19.8 particle filter carbon mass.

The first one for the G450 i see the number 30605 in the Coding II screen. I did that, the 30 second ignition cycle but it says after 30 seconds adaptation should be completed. if not, etc.... well how do i know it is completed? Because i turned the ignition off VCDS gave me an error for commuicating with the module of course.

is there a measuring block? it doesnt say what to check