DPF filter covered by recall?

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
I have a 2015 GSW MT with 110k on it. Starting to logistically pan for the teming belt which I'll likely do 10k before factory recommended. Does anyone know if the DPF is covered as part of the recall? If upon getting checked at the 120k mark I'm told to replace, is that under the warranty?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
DPF gets replaced if it is needed, and yes it would be under the warranty. But unless it has a DTC related to it, there is nothing wrong with it. I would also not worry about the timing belt until it is due. Usually the water pumps on the 2015s dictate when that gets done anyway.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
These are your go-to documents and links for information that pertains to emissions warranty, DPF replacement, and phases of the "fix"

https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen3_Final.pdf

Not sure if you are referring to a specific recall (which is a different action on the part of a manufacturer from others). In the end you need to know what phase of the "fix" has been done to your car, whether there are any codes stored associated with the system, and need to know the warranty book 100%.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
No one will check anything at 120k unless you pay them to (and you'd be silly to do so).
Drive the vehicle, and if it starts acting up and throwing CELs related to the emissions system, that is when they will dig into it and replace it if deemed necessary. It is very unlikely that you've managed to clog it up this soon, especially if no prior related CELs and issues have come to surface.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When you bring the car in to VW, they will check to see what phases of the "fix" have been done by VIN, and what warranty is still in effect for the Gen 3 engine. If you have not had phase 2 done, the warranty directs them to replace the DPF at no cost to you, along with the remainder of phase 2 updates. A loaner car, per the emissions warranty, is provided. If your car has had phase 2 modifications but your manual transmission had under 70,000 miles, (and if) the DPF was not replaced at that time, and the warranty directs them to later replace the DPF at no cost to you (after 70k miles), and the DOC prior to the car reaching 150,000 miles. The warranty differs based on engine, and the documents linked above are helpful (especially if the dealership says they aren't familiar with the work).

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I stand corrected.... I didn't take the time to look up "your gen" engine\documentation, and what I said above was incorrect. I jumped the gun and gave you info based on my gen.

Listen to @hskrdu as he knows what he's telling you.

I find it amusing that your newer car has such a limited lifespan, and with all these replacement components is only expected to last 150k....
extract said:
that is needed to maintain emissions performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I even explained it poorly above, which is easy to do if working by memory and trying to translate warranty-speak. I'll have to edit it to match the booklet, but it's will be easier for the OP to read the booklet.