DPF failure data collection

ojbug

TDI
2013 Volkswagen Jetta Premium Sedan 2.0L TDI DIESEL M/T
Adding to the thread, you all have been amazing and have really validated my fears and worries.

• Leased brand new, only 10 miles on the car, on 3/16/2013
  • Door tag shows it was manufactured in Mexico on 7/2012
  • Used the dealer for all service until lease end
  • Purchased the car during Dieselgate in June 2016 (my lease ended in March)
  • Emissions fixes done on 11/14/2017, mileage 66,773
  • Never had a single mechanical problem until 80k miles. Not even a broken door latch or electrical issue. I did have to replace my radiator fans and fan shroud in 9/2017, due to an accident issue (long story, not relevant though). Changed them out myself, was easy.
  • First DPF blew out on 3/29/2019, mileage 82,799 (actual DPF light did illuminate on the dash)
  • Dealer codes for this first blow out were p0401 and p2002
  • I had a strange feeling it blew out again around January 2020, but was invalidated by the dealer and told it's probably a fuel filter :rolleyes: (which I KNEW it was not). Changed the filter anyway and it wasn't the issue (hesitation on starting, hesitation driving)
  • Stopped by an independent dealer and explained symptoms at the end of 5/2020. He scanned with VCDS and throttle body code showed, p0638. I figured out how to take it apart and clean it, didn't go past the temperature sensor though, only cleaned up the EGR area/butterfly.
  • Brought it back to dealer on 11/4/2020 with the same problems I reported in January. All FOUR injectors replaced per VTA TSB. Dealer kept my car almost 10 days and never once gave an update, I had to call (I was livid). No codes thrown with the VCDS, mileage was 94,630
  • Less than two weeks later, second DPF blow out on 11/23/2020. CEL had come on and I continued feeling hesitation in 3rd gear, which the dealer claimed is a regen cycle (which I disagreed with, but the manager at the dealer shared the same info, claiming it's the biodiesel here in Oregon - state law requires it for all diesel :rolleyes:). There were no VCDS codes entered on my paperwork, assumed the tech forgot to enter them. Mileage was 94,911
  • On 4/9/2021, it was a real warm day here and I was idling for about 15-20 minutes in a wait line (ironically for an emissions test to renew my registration!). My temp warning light came on and I popped the hood to check antifreeze level (which was fine). Noticed immediately that my fans never turned on and KNEW something was wrong with the DPF, yet again. Hadn't heard a regen in a while but didn't check for tail pipe soot right away.
  • While checking to make sure my radiator wasn't gummed up and that my fans weren't fried, I found small amounts of pooled oil on the intake and freaked out, as the injectors had just been replaced. Escalated to a manager at the dealer to look at it ASAP, given the injector replacement in Nov 2020
  • Brought car in on 4/28/2021, mileage 97,071. They cleaned up the oil and idled it for an hour, no leaks anywhere on the entire engine nor on the manifold. Did cooling system check, also idled it for an hour. Tech claims the radiator fans kicked on - how is this possible? Thermostat opening at 87 degrees C, coolant reaching 95C to activate fans. What explains the issue on 4/9 then? Manager claims coolant low? How? I checked it myself, it was fine. He did say a sensor is in the fill tank and sometimes will read off, if only a MM low. Weird. I did actually add some antifreeze before I brought the car in (barely any though). I'm not convinced. Had them check my motor mounts, apparently they're ok, but swear the car bucks too much when I let off the gas. I've had the thing all its life! I know my car! They did a VCDS scan and only reports were low voltage codes. I found corrosion on my positive lead and cleaned it up, battery could be trash but was just replaced in 9/2018. It's closed, so cannot fill with water. Alternator is fine.
  • On 4/30/2021, was driving and got a flat on one of my brand new pilot sports, then CEL comes on. What a great evening, I tell ya. Sure enough, after an attempt to get a different dealer to scan it (I was close by and figured I'd try, manager didn't seem comfortable doing it), I borrowed a scanner from O'Reilly's and checked it myself. p2002 code. Sure enough, I was correct. Third DPF blow out. Soot heavy in the tail pipe (I checked it, finally).
  • I have an appointment on 5/12/2021. I escalated to the general manager, service manager knows me but has been OOO for a couple weeks. Luckily service manager is back now and will meet with me, I have really impressed this is NOT ok. DPFs should last 100,000 miles, at a minimum. Something is WAY wrong.
  • All this only bothers me because of what OPs stated here - total misrepresentation on VW's part. Full lack of beta and QA testing, for a period of time, before releasing emission fixes (appeasing the public and feds and saving face). While I agree it is a customer's responsibility to know their own car and driving habits, I was a bit perturbed to see an unkind message previously on this post chain about blaming a customer, rather than the manufacturer. I've owned 1950s, 1960s, 1970s beetles, 1980s GTIs, and now this 2013 Jetta. Family and friends have owned diesel and gas Jettas (80s-2000s) and Passats. I started seeing better quality in VWs in the early 2000s, particularly with the diesels, so I figured I'd give a lease a shot. I absolutely love this car and am surprised I've had it for 8 years. I've owned 18 vehicles in the last 28 years (I enjoy learning, restoring, NOS, mechanical things).
I'll update after my appointment next week. Two managers at the dealer now have red flags raised and will help me get this resolved. I only have fears because my extended warranty runs out in May 2022. I doubt I'll put 20k on it before then and I also will need to do timing belt/water pump/therm/serpentine soon. If I need to sell this thing, I won't be douchey and sell it after the warranty period, needs to happen in the next 8 months. I really would love to keep it and make it a third vehicle, but not with DPFs going out 24-7... not a fan of how quickly crap roads bend the wheels easily either. Gas mileage and performance was amazing before the emissions fix - sadly, it's hard to swallow that I can't race past M5s anymore :D

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
According to your mileage you last reported you are only doing about 12.5k miles a year. Sounds like short trips and interrupted regens may be your issue. Do you actively monitor your regens with some tool? If not you should be as this would give you some good insight as to what is happening. VAGDPF will do this for you as an android app and a BT OBDII dongle. $20 the cheap way and maybe $80 the best way (difference in quality of the OBDII dongles cost). After the first dpf failure I would have been watching it closely from then on. Most states mandate 5% bio in their diesel now so I doubt that is an issue. IL IIRC mandates 20% and they aren't dropping like flys.

ojbug

TDI
According to your mileage you last reported you are only doing about 12.5k miles a year. Sounds like short trips and interrupted regens may be your issue. Do you actively monitor your regens with some tool? If not you should be as this would give you some good insight as to what is happening. VAGDPF will do this for you as an android app and a BT OBDII dongle. $20 the cheap way and maybe $80 the best way (difference in quality of the OBDII dongles cost). After the first dpf failure I would have been watching it closely from then on. Most states mandate 5% bio in their diesel now so I doubt that is an issue. IL IIRC mandates 20% and they aren't dropping like flys.

Yeah, thanks, lightflyer.
I leased this car because I was traveling 90% and only needed to drive back and forth to the airport, 70 miles roundtrip. From 2013-2016, that's the only driving I did, keeping miles at a minimum. Since I was frequently stressed leaving every week, I know I drove like an ass on the road, often sitting in 4th gear at 70 mph. Regens were just fine and happened on a frequent basis, I knew about them immediately after I drove off the car lot in 3/2013. I contemplated buying a VAG reader a few years back when my TPMS light wouldn't go off, but didn't want to go cheap or aftermarket and honestly lost interest once the dealer reset the light. Fast forward to the dieselgate fix and these blow outs, it crossed my mind again, but when you are in a highly technical field, working 50+ hours a week, have kids to raise, boxers to take care of, and 9 million other things, it becomes less of a priority. As for short trips or in-town only driving - NO. Maybe a few short trips from 2017-2021, I usually use my spouse's XJ or titan for those, because he says my TDI smells too much like dog. Took trips to MT, Seattle, CA frequently in those years. On the back roads, I drive like a jerk. Trust me. Fast and above 2k rpms consistently because I love how the car handles and people cannot drive normally here, so I tend to get impatient often. Regens always happened on a regular basis after the DPF replacements, then they'd suddenly just stop. I agree with you on the biodiesel assumption and disagree with the manager that shared that with me. He said VTA advised him of that, so.... guess we can blame VTA. Please clarify what IL IIRC is. I assume you're referring to something in Illinois? I'll still update how my visit goes next week, this cannot be something difficult to figure out. One manager at another dealer here (there are 5 within a 60 mile radius of me) shared that anything read by their VAG readers related to emissions goes straight to VTA and VTA pushes back on them for warranty coverage, if they keep scanning and scanning and scanning. I'm getting the feeling the dealers are put in the middle and forced to hold back on proper correction, due to this. Again, terrible and piss poor business management from VWAG and their franchised dealership partnerships.

jcruse64

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
2010 Jetta TDI sedan at 178K. Had a CEL a bit before 178K, and my local diesel guy had p0401, p240f, and p2002 codes. The dealer inspected it on this information, and soot on the tail pipe, and is getting me a new DPF, along with a new turbo, under the Dieselgate warranty. I asked if the intake manifold or other items noted in threads like this were needed, and they said no.

I also get the frustration of some, about the car beginning to own the user. I wasn't a member here in '09, when I started looking at these new cars, but I DID look at reviews coming in from the various car mags, as well as POP Mechanics. Everyone was raving about the new TDI, and no mention of managing regens. The dealer I purchased from was also fairly vague about regens. When I had a dealer do the Dieselgate fix, they simply told me there would be more regens, but that I'd barely notice. No asking about how I would be driving the car or anything else (I have a 10 mile 1-way commute to work each day). I've enjoyed having the car for over 10 years now, and it's served us pretty well, on long road trips and locally, and I'm willing to help the car help itself, but I'm not keen on it "driving me".

Picked my 2010 TDI Jetta sedan back up yesterday afternoon from VW Of Marion, IL. All work covered under the emissions warranty. Was first told the DPF and turbo would be replaced, but when I asked what was done yesterday, they said the turbo was okay. They replaced the DPF and the EGR filter, rest DPF ash load to Zero in the computer and test drove to ensure all was well. Drove back the 1.25 hour drive, and all was well.

I did ask what I could do to better monitor regens and make sure they take place, with my driving habits in this car, and was not given much advice. With less than 30K left on my "Fix warranty", the service manager actually said I should think about a "delete and tune".

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I already showed you how to monitor your regen status. You should think about that first, before deleting. It is way cheaper and easier than a delete and legal and actually works well if you use it.

jcruse64

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
I already showed you how to monitor your regen status. You should think about that first, before deleting. It is way cheaper and easier than a delete and legal and actually works well if you use it.
Yes you did, and thanks! I was just interested to see what a dealer service group would say to that.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Most know nothing about them unless they own one of these cars themselves. My service writer the other day had no knowledge and I showed them my VAGDPF app working on my car. They were impressed. I gave four of them a demo just so they would know and maybe encourage other owners to use something like this. Should have been built into the car but too late now.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Heck no! I know nothing about coding. It is available on Google play for Android. Just recommending a good tool that I have been using. Just like VCDS is a great tool.

ojbug

TDI
Heck no! I know nothing about coding. It is available on Google play for Android. Just recommending a good tool that I have been using. Just like VCDS is a great tool.
LOL. Got it. Needed to understand why you're pushing that VAGDPF, like you're some sales dude - sounds like you just think highly of it and want to help people. Problem is that VAGDPF is open source and not 100% reliable, especially if it's not available for all platforms and not legally approved for use from the manufacturer. Thanks for the reply!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am not pushing it. There are other tools you can use such as VCDS and Torque and others that can do the same thing. But the cost of $5 for the app is pretty low and a deal I couldn't refuse as I can't do that kind of thing myself. VAGDPF has worked well for me though. When I read of those having regen issues, it becomes important to have some way of monitoring. Having the app on my phone which is always with me anyway and the scan tool dongle always in place makes it very easy for me to check and/or monitor it in real time. I ran the Torque app for some time and monitored temps and had alarms set to help me know when things were happening. Much more difficult to set up for someone who doesn't code anything. VCDS will do it too but I don't want my tablet running while driving. I can't help that it is open source or doesn't support the world. It works for me though and others. Try the trial version and test before buying. It has been absolutely reliable for me and was pretty easy to get it working.

I never knew something had to be "legally approved for use" by the mfg to be used as a diagnostic scanning tool. Explain that to me.

Last edited:

ojbug

TDI
Adding to the thread, you all have been amazing and have really validated my fears and worries.

• Leased brand new, only 10 miles on the car, on 3/16/2013
  • Door tag shows it was manufactured in Mexico on 7/2012
  • Used the dealer for all service until lease end
  • Purchased the car during Dieselgate in June 2016 (my lease ended in March)
  • Emissions fixes done on 11/14/2017, mileage 66,773
  • Never had a single mechanical problem until 80k miles. Not even a broken door latch or electrical issue. I did have to replace my radiator fans and fan shroud in 9/2017, due to an accident issue (long story, not relevant though). Changed them out myself, was easy.
  • First DPF blew out on 3/29/2019, mileage 82,799 (actual DPF light did illuminate on the dash)
  • Dealer codes for this first blow out were p0401 and p2002
  • I had a strange feeling it blew out again around January 2020, but was invalidated by the dealer and told it's probably a fuel filter :rolleyes: (which I KNEW it was not). Changed the filter anyway and it wasn't the issue (hesitation on starting, hesitation driving)
  • Stopped by an independent dealer and explained symptoms at the end of 5/2020. He scanned with VCDS and throttle body code showed, p0638. I figured out how to take it apart and clean it, didn't go past the temperature sensor though, only cleaned up the EGR area/butterfly.
  • Brought it back to dealer on 11/4/2020 with the same problems I reported in January. All FOUR injectors replaced per VTA TSB. Dealer kept my car almost 10 days and never once gave an update, I had to call (I was livid). No codes thrown with the VCDS, mileage was 94,630
  • Less than two weeks later, second DPF blow out on 11/23/2020. CEL had come on and I continued feeling hesitation in 3rd gear, which the dealer claimed is a regen cycle (which I disagreed with, but the manager at the dealer shared the same info, claiming it's the biodiesel here in Oregon - state law requires it for all diesel :rolleyes:). There were no VCDS codes entered on my paperwork, assumed the tech forgot to enter them. Mileage was 94,911
  • On 4/9/2021, it was a real warm day here and I was idling for about 15-20 minutes in a wait line (ironically for an emissions test to renew my registration!). My temp warning light came on and I popped the hood to check antifreeze level (which was fine). Noticed immediately that my fans never turned on and KNEW something was wrong with the DPF, yet again. Hadn't heard a regen in a while but didn't check for tail pipe soot right away.
  • While checking to make sure my radiator wasn't gummed up and that my fans weren't fried, I found small amounts of pooled oil on the intake and freaked out, as the injectors had just been replaced. Escalated to a manager at the dealer to look at it ASAP, given the injector replacement in Nov 2020
  • Brought car in on 4/28/2021, mileage 97,071. They cleaned up the oil and idled it for an hour, no leaks anywhere on the entire engine nor on the manifold. Did cooling system check, also idled it for an hour. Tech claims the radiator fans kicked on - how is this possible? Thermostat opening at 87 degrees C, coolant reaching 95C to activate fans. What explains the issue on 4/9 then? Manager claims coolant low? How? I checked it myself, it was fine. He did say a sensor is in the fill tank and sometimes will read off, if only a MM low. Weird. I did actually add some antifreeze before I brought the car in (barely any though). I'm not convinced. Had them check my motor mounts, apparently they're ok, but swear the car bucks too much when I let off the gas. I've had the thing all its life! I know my car! They did a VCDS scan and only reports were low voltage codes. I found corrosion on my positive lead and cleaned it up, battery could be trash but was just replaced in 9/2018. It's closed, so cannot fill with water. Alternator is fine.
  • On 4/30/2021, was driving and got a flat on one of my brand new pilot sports, then CEL comes on. What a great evening, I tell ya. Sure enough, after an attempt to get a different dealer to scan it (I was close by and figured I'd try, manager didn't seem comfortable doing it), I borrowed a scanner from O'Reilly's and checked it myself. p2002 code. Sure enough, I was correct. Third DPF blow out. Soot heavy in the tail pipe (I checked it, finally).
  • I have an appointment on 5/12/2021. I escalated to the general manager, service manager knows me but has been OOO for a couple weeks. Luckily service manager is back now and will meet with me, I have really impressed this is NOT ok. DPFs should last 100,000 miles, at a minimum. Something is WAY wrong.
  • All this only bothers me because of what OPs stated here - total misrepresentation on VW's part. Full lack of beta and QA testing, for a period of time, before releasing emission fixes (appeasing the public and feds and saving face). While I agree it is a customer's responsibility to know their own car and driving habits, I was a bit perturbed to see an unkind message previously on this post chain about blaming a customer, rather than the manufacturer. I've owned 1950s, 1960s, 1970s beetles, 1980s GTIs, and now this 2013 Jetta. Family and friends have owned diesel and gas Jettas (80s-2000s) and Passats. I started seeing better quality in VWs in the early 2000s, particularly with the diesels, so I figured I'd give a lease a shot. I absolutely love this car and am surprised I've had it for 8 years. I've owned 18 vehicles in the last 28 years (I enjoy learning, restoring, NOS, mechanical things).
I'll update after my appointment next week. Two managers at the dealer now have red flags raised and will help me get this resolved. I only have fears because my extended warranty runs out in May 2022. I doubt I'll put 20k on it before then and I also will need to do timing belt/water pump/therm/serpentine soon. If I need to sell this thing, I won't be douchey and sell it after the warranty period, needs to happen in the next 8 months. I really would love to keep it and make it a third vehicle, but not with DPFs going out 24-7... not a fan of how quickly crap roads bend the wheels easily either. Gas mileage and performance was amazing before the emissions fix - sadly, it's hard to swallow that I can't race past M5s anymore :D
update on my previous post: dealer has had my vehicle since 5/12. i called today and was informed they replaced the mass airflow sensor, as well as the DPF and EGR. this is the third DPF and EGR replacement (see previous post of mine). i won't get my car back until tuesday.

Mike Morriss

TDI
99 New Beetle, 91 Vanagon TDI conversion, 05 New Beetle, 2014 Jetta Sportwagen
2014 TDI Jetta Sportwagen, 6 speed manual tranny. Fix done around 50K. Then I bought it. Now just under 100K. CEL just started coming on with
008194 - Particulate Trap Bank 1

P2002 - 007 - Efficiency Below Threshold - MIL ON

And

001025 - EGR System

P0401 - 001 - Insufficient Flow - MIL ON

and

Sooty tailpipe.

Going to Fowler VW in Norman, OK on Monday morning. More L8R

Last edited:

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
just went through this myself.

tell them that this is known clog things with soot all the way back to the turbo and they should investigate. might get lucky and get a good tech and sympathetic SA.

my understanding is that when the EGR gets clogged, it accelerates the fouling of the DPF. i'm on my third (and hopefully last for a while) in 20k. had to basically tell them to replace the EGR along with the DPF this last time.

next time it goes in, i'll make sure it leaves with a new turbo.

foggedz

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
The emissons fix was done to my 2013 Jetta at 89,000mi, and currently have 112,000mi. When was washing the car last week I did notice some soot in the tail pipes. I know that before the fix they were always clean on the inside, and I hadn't really paid much attention to them since. Is it still the case after the fix that if there is soot in the tail pipe that it is an indication of a problem? If so I am going to try to get an appointment to have it looked at since it is still under warranty.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Unless you are throwing a code for something, check engine light or whatever, you will be charged. Warranty only covers if a fault is found. Check that your self first and see what a scan says.

Mike Morriss

TDI
99 New Beetle, 91 Vanagon TDI conversion, 05 New Beetle, 2014 Jetta Sportwagen
There is normally a substantial fee for checking for codes. I hope you can get a code, and I hope an applicable code, before you take it in. My 2014 TDI Jetta had similar issues with soot in tailpipes but had codes. In my case, their fee for checking codes was covered under the emissions warranty :) Good luck!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If there is a code you can probably get it fixed under warranty and the scan would be included. If it is a broken wire (rodents) or something non related then it's on you. Check the VCDS owners post there may be someone near you. Some generic scanners may work as well. Torque on an android phone and a BT dongle would work too I think. Almost anything should pick up an emissions related fault.

One in Rockford if it is still current.

Last edited:

foggedz

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I have the ability to scan and clear codes. My car is not currently throwing any codes. I just noticed the soot in the tail pipe, and was not sure if it was supposed to stay perfectly clean like it used to before the fix. I will clean out the tail pipe, and see if the soot starts to develop again.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
With the change in the emmisions, I would not be surprised at a little soot build up. Just stuck my finger in the pipes on my JSW and, yup, there's soot.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
My beetle had black sooty tail pipes for about 20,000 miles before the check engine light came on. My passat has a bit of soot if i run my finger around the tail pipe, while the beetle is completely black. Beetle: modification 8/17 at 61,000 miles, noticed soot ~ 82,000 miles 8-19. 1st check engline light 92,000 miles 6/20 (intake air temperature sensor) 2nd check engine light 97,000 miles 12/20 (intake manifold), 3rd check engine light 100,400 miles 5/21 (dpf). Replaced at 101,900 miles 7/21 (work issues couldn’t get the car into service).

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Unfortunately a VW dealership won't fix the problem under warranty (and soot in the tail pipe IS a problem) until a permanent code is thrown. Which means at that point the EGR filter is also destroyed. Unless you are in a very narrow time or mileage window before your extended emissions warranty runs out, it unfortunately makes most sense to wait until the code shows and the EGR filter is clogged before visiting your dealer. Otherwise they will just charge you $130 for the scan, and then do nothing, even though the outcome (replace DPF, and also EGR filter if one waits long enough) is inevitable. That cracked DPF will not fix itself.

foggedz

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Looking at the wording of how long the warranty goes...

The Extended Emissions Warranty period with this additional warranty extension will be the greater of:
• 10 years and 3 months or 123,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in- service date; OR
• 4 years and 3 months or 51,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from date and mileage of the Emissions Modification, except for vehicles offered for resale, in which case, from the date and mileage of the first resale transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale

Since my fix was done 9/18 at 89,000mi The way I read above my warranty is good to 12/22 or 140,000 whichever occurs first. That means I have another year and a half minimum on the warranty. If the DPF is going to throw a code I hope it happens before then.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Sounds good.
Those of us who drive a lot (not me anymore) will have to decide what to do with the car or DPF/EGR once the warranty expires. It might make sense to either sell the car, or put the (relatively new) DPF and EGR on the shelf, or maybe just block off the EGR, and keep driving with a cracked DPF. It probably depends on the DMV inspections in your state.

RichardW

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
My 2012 Golf TDI is currently at the dealer getting the DPF replaced under the extended emissions warranty and after reading the forums here, it got me thinking: how many people have had their DPFs fail pre and post dieselgate “emissions fix” and at how many miles? It seems like there have been a ton of people on the forum with this happening and frankly I’m curious if it’s going to trigger another recall or if VW is going to do anything about it.

So, I’d love to do some data analysis and see if we can draw correlations for mileage, mileage since modification/fix, year, model, and transmission type. Yes, yes there are a million factors but I want to keep it simple. If you’ve had multiple fail, list mileage between and if you had one fail pre dieselgate I’d love that data too. I’ll start!

Golf
6 speed manual
65,100 miles total
26,200 miles post fix
I have a post-fix 2014 Jetta sportwagen. Purchased around 50k miles it has been in NUMEROUS times for emissions issues (mostly related to soot/ash and DPF issues). I've been impressed with they way I've been treated by my dealer as well as Volkswagen of America (actually was reimbursed for the DPF part - not labor - at a non-dealer shop). Dealer has provided me with a rental for three weeks one time when the part was back-ordered. So - I've been treated well. However, I still find myself - with alarming regularity - seeing the "CHECK ENGINE" come on and knowing I will be without my car for an indefinite period of time. NOTE - I have NEVER ONCE seen the REGEN dash light come on. The factory extended emissions warranty expires at 120k. The car has 110k now. I WILL be listing this for sale as I refuse to deal with this issue out-of-warranty. As much as I truly love the car, I don't have the patience to deal with it. I will try to go through my receipts over the past few years for your data collection.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Since there is no "regen" light, I'd be more surprised if you saw one come one. Thanks to Covid forcing my wife to retire, I'll run out of time on my extended warranty before I run out of miles. The car has been back to the dealer once for a cel since the fix and it ended up being a bad glow plug/injector.

VWpal

TDI
2014 TDI Jetta Sportwagon 6 spd manual
2014 TDI SportWagon
Emissions fix done At 93,000 April 2019
DPF and EGR CEL codes P0401 and P2002 at 108,800 miles. Looks like failed DPF at approximately 16,000 miles after fix.

KellyGB

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen 2014
2014 TDI Sportwagen I bought it two years ago as a certified used car to replace my 2006 TDI Golf. This is my third TDI and unfortunately even though I had not had to pay for any of these as they were under the warranty, I can't in good faith keep this car... The dealer has been awesome and given me loaner cars, but it's been too much. I'm currently seeing if VW will buy it back. I can't imagine anyone would want to buy this car with this record!

DFP has been replaced 4 times in the past 9 months-
2/15/21 66576 replaced DPF and egr Filter
4/29/21 68725 replaced Egr cooler, replaced turbo charger, replaced DPF
5/13/21 69590 replaced Inter cooler pipe
7/13/21 73491 replaced DPF and egr filter
9/30/21 76481 replaced DPF