DPF Availability

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Well...she came home last night. Right now the heat works, the AC works, it's not regening every 2 seconds, and the doors and locks don't seem to be possessed by gremlins. 246 days later.

Now I wait to see what's the next step with the buyback and/or if they are going to extend the CPO.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
drive the heck out of it in the mean time, enjoy it while you can.

ProblemPassat

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Mine came home today--momentarily--after 163 days. But on the way home from the dealership, the check engine light illuminated and I discovered that the heat is not working and that the air flow from the vents is meager: Rotary dial step 6 feels like step 1. Took it back and exchanged for the rental which I had dropped off only an hour before. Sigh....

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I haven't updated in a bit, but the heat worked for 2 days and then quit again. Went back to the original dealer that's been doing all the work - they kept it a week, and said it's operating as designed. Engaged with my contact at VWoA who made arrangements for me to take it to another dealership in town. Dropped it off last Monday and picked it up on Saturday. They determined that it needed another new heater core. (Now the 4th in 18 months.)

When I picked it up Saturday it had heat....you can guess what has happened between Saturday and today....

Awaiting confirmation to take it back in (again)....

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Update. It’s been at the dealer since the 20th. A VTA ticket is open on it, and we wait……

VWoA is indicating more and more that it’s going to get bought back.

ProblemPassat

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Update. 2nd Post-DPF++... repair homecoming today. 11 days since 1st homecoming; 174 total ordeal days. An ad-blue injector was replaced. The heater core was replaced. Made it all the way home without illuminating check engine light. Heating and cooling works. Fan speeds normal. Yay! For now. But Carvana's offer to buy it from me dropped $2k in just 3 months. The still-high price of diesel fuel, perhaps?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Probably not. Carvana is having its own troubles and the market is turning around right now too maybe.

$250 a share a year ago and now under $5. Down 227%
That's more like down 98%. Stocks don't typically go into negative territory ;) . But yeah, I think the auto market is finally starting to cool off. And diesels in particular aren't super attractive when diesel fuel costs 50+% more than regular unleaded.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Update - the dealer asked me to come get it which I did. VWoA has made arrangements for it to go to yet another dealer here in Atlanta and it's going in tomorrow. They say there is nothing wrong with it; it has no heat. It's comical at this point.....

ProblemPassat

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Update - the dealer asked me to come get it which I did. VWoA has made arrangements for it to go to yet another dealer here in Atlanta and it's going in tomorrow. They say there is nothing wrong with it; it has no heat. It's comical at this point.....
I admire your composure--finding it comical so far into the ordeal.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
If VW had half a brain, they would have bought back Parthery's car a long time ago, With the latest go around why have they not recognized the error of their ways and immediately bought back Parthery's car and send it straight to the crusher? They don't have half a brain apparently.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
FWIW I spoke to the service director at the dealership that it's headed to a couple hours ago. He called me. Very polite and professional. Also said that they are the unofficial "dealer of last resort" here in Atlanta when other dealers can't get things fixed, that this is not their first time at the TDI rodeo, and if it can't be fixed they will work with VWoA to get them whatever documentation they will need to (hopefully) move the buyback along.

It's still comical, but I feel cautiously optimistic....

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Fingers crossed they get the car fixed or buy it back. If this dealer of last resort does manage to fix it, what is the plan when the warranty expires and it needs expensive repairs later on? I have been debating that dilemma a long time. I tuned my '13 with the hope (false?) that the emissions stuff and turbo would last longer. That was 6 months and 7,000 miles ago. Car is only at 61,000 miles.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I've still got 2 years and 30K miles of Dieselgate warranty. And one of the things on the table is for VWoA to extend my CPO coverage by the number of days that the vehicle sat while waiting for parts (246).

Daughter going off to college in the Fall and won't need a car her freshman year. If I can keep the CPO going until July or August, I'll likely sell it so it doesn't sit in my garage for 9 months.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Update....I think (??) we may have probably made some progress to get the vehicle fixed. The 3rd dealer to work on it determined that the N280 solenoid was defective which was causing the AC/HEAT to shut down to avoid freezing or locking up. How they determined it and the first two dealers couldn't is the million dollar question, but they replaced it and now - at least today - the heat and AC appear to be working. It's only taken almost 11 months to get it resolved so I'm cautiously optimistic that the repair will hold. Fingers crossed......

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Nice video explaining what the N280 is and how to diagnose it. Even some bonus Ohm’s Law content:

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Heat works. AC works. Oh - and VWoA told me to pound sand on the CPO extension and/or the buyback.

So so so disappointed. 7 months back and forth with them and a complete and utter waste of time. I've had 6 VWs....there won't be a 7th.

ProblemPassat

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Heat works. AC works. Oh - and VWoA told me to pound sand on the CPO extension and/or the buyback.

So so so disappointed. 7 months back and forth with them and a complete and utter waste of time. I've had 6 VWs....there won't be a 7th.
Yes, so wrong to lead you down that path only for it to dead-end. At least they completely ignored me always, not raising expectations. 1st and last VW for me.

Daniel23333

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
I am having a similar situation as you man. They told me VW decided to buy my car back like 2 months ago and no one reached out to me since then. After I called VWoA, VWoA sent me a buyback request email. I sent all the needed information 10 days ago. And I just got a phone call from my dealer today saying they have no idea what is going on about the buyback process (they said it is your business with VW) and they FIXED my DPF and asked me to pick up the car. I am just very confused and disappointed about the communication and service by VW and their dealer. I am also very worried about the buyback and the money I can get back from the car.

BTW, I replaced my DPF in VW Marietta in Oct 2022. It is interesting to know they told you no available DPF....

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
They have changed the buyback eligibility now and seem to finally have gotten smart. If the repair costs exceeds $10K they will buy it back. In my case the repair bills totaled close to $12K and another $9K in rentals.

The repair of the N280 solenoid has cured mine and it runs great now.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Except that it wouldn't ever in a normal, sane world, actually cost that much. But they make it that way.

Also, Daniel, your car doesn't use the same DPF as the CKRA Passat.

The DPFs for all the TDIs (and other parts) come and go on availability. This isn't just related to TDIs or warrantable items, or Volkswagens for that matter. We have cars waiting on parts here constantly, some for months.

Daniel23333

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
They have changed the buyback eligibility now and seem to finally have gotten smart. If the repair costs exceeds $10K they will buy it back. In my case the repair bills totaled close to $12K and another $9K in rentals.

The repair of the N280 solenoid has cured mine and it runs great now.
Me too. The cost for repair is close to $9k. I wonder did they offer you a buyback plan now? I would be happy to accept a full-price buyback cuz I am sure the same problem will happen again and I am tired of it...I am just hoping the current repair would not influence my buyback request (or probably I should ask the dealer to stop the repair process)

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
I have a catalytic converter for 2012-2014 passat for sale. Part number 561254400A 561-254-400-A let me know if anyone is interested.