DPF Availability

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Dealer called me Monday to tell me that they replaced the front window motor and switch. Too late in the day for me to get there so I told them I'd pick it up Tuesday. Show up Tuesday morning...jump in the car....door locks lock when I put in drive, and then about 10 seconds later they attempt to lock again, and then 10 seconds after that. Back into service it goes....they find a bad door latch...replaced in 30 minutes....scan for codes...now find a bad door lock switch...another 30 minutes...finally fixed and no codes.
Very suspicious to me that basically everything in that door was screwed up . . . almost seems as if someone was using it as a parts car while it sat there all that time.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Very suspicious to me that basically everything in that door was screwed up . . . almost seems as if someone was using it as a parts car while it sat there all that time.
why order parts when you have your own junk yard sitting on the lot ;)

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I agree....particularly since the car has to go back in first of next week. No heat now...guessing it's headed for another heater core (it's 3rd in less than 2 years)

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
My God.. just read all this.. what a pain in the arse!.. So sorry you guys have to deal with this!.. Unbelievable!.. Good Luck.. These tdi's are really great cars though.. I have the dpf/egr delete in my 2011 80,000 mile Jetta manual shift ( have lots of cars, Jetta is my best hwy. car) loaded with all the options,,.It is a unbelievable GREAT driving/comfortable car.. 50 MPG's best.. and kicks arse in torque.. Just a great car! . If I get my wifes car (2013 Passat SEL TDI) back in operation .. delete next!.. Daughters is a 2015.. and it is going great! My 2001 jetta ALH is sitting on the back burner for now.. great car also, but need to do some improvements/fixes..has the R/C tune on it.. used to drive that 8 + years ago..

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I don't think they pirated parts off my car. The reality is it sat, outside, without moving, for over 6 months. And anything electrical that sat that long did not fare well. I also suspect that's why I have no heat, as I'm guessing before today is over they will call me and advise that they are replacing the heater core, again.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
what part of the heater core is electrical ;)

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Picked it up Tuesday....a/c blew and was ice cold. Yesterday, after about 10 minutes, air slowed to a trickle again. Clearly not fixed. Patience starting to be tested here....

ProblemPassat

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Picked it up Tuesday....a/c blew and was ice cold. Yesterday, after about 10 minutes, air slowed to a trickle again. Clearly not fixed. Patience starting to be tested here....
I'll say. Perhaps VW will soon declare it unrepairable and try to buy it back from you, like this person:

This is what I am hoping for in my case. Love the car, but I need it for transportation, not just a hobby/project/weekend driver.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't think the electrical element is activated above a certain temp. Seeing the OP is in Atlanta don't think it's been that cold.

Okay so there's electrical components tied to the HVAC system, my bad.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
And....it's back in the shop. A/C still dropping to a trickle; no heat; lights indicating light bulbs are out; door locks keep trying to lock themselves every 10 seconds.

Sigh.......

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I just heard that my DPF didn't come in, it's now expected end November (2022.) I'm starting to worry about what else may die from the car sitting, as this is not under warranty.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Update - it needs a door lock switch which is also backordered. And it sits again…..

VWoA exec team called yesterday to confirm I picked up the car and all was fixed. Needless to say they weren't particularly pleased when I gave them the update.

ProblemPassat

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Update - it needs a door lock switch which is also backordered. And it sits again…..

VWoA exec team called yesterday to confirm I picked up the car and all was fixed. Needless to say they weren't particularly pleased when I gave them the update.
How did you get the VWoA exec team involved in monitoring your repair?

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
My saga update....yesterday they called and determined that it needs a new computer which controls the Climatronic system which is why I have both heat and AC issues. And......wait for it.....IT'S ON WORLDWIDE BACKORDER WITH NO ETA!!!!

They are supposed to call me today after they get approval to roll me into an Enterprise loaner (again)... they want their '23 Taos back.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Go find a pre-owned one from somewhere?.. Just an option..good luck!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a sad feeling that the NMS Passat was a brief, and limited, flash in the pan of a model. Made here, for here, with too many NMS-specific bits for VAG to really care about it much now that it is out of production. I know the NMS was exported to some other (non-European) countries from here, and it was (is?) built also in China for their local market. But those cars may have a lot of differences that the North American spec ones, and it isn't like that really has helped past models that were no longer sold here but continued for years, even decades, later in other markets.

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta tdi (gone) 2013 Passat SEL TDI
I have a sad feeling that the NMS Passat was a brief, and limited, flash in the pan of a model. Made here, for here, with too many NMS-specific bits for VAG to really care about it much now that it is out of production. I know the NMS was exported to some other (non-European) countries from here, and it was (is?) built also in China for their local market. But those cars may have a lot of differences that the North American spec ones, and it isn't like that really has helped past models that were no longer sold here but continued for years, even decades, later in other markets.
Sounds like I shouldn't be making any major investments in my NMS since it's becoming a dead end model as far as getting future parts and repairs done.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I wish I could say otherwise, but yeah it does seem that way. Sucks, because the NMS is a decent, albeit boring, sedan. Drives nice, roomy, has a nice conservative non-flashy understated styling that doesn't seem dated, and in the case of the TDI, an engine that can absolutely trounce the non-hybrid competition for fuel economy. Plus, they were offered with a proper manual gearbox to boot, even though Dieselgate caused a lot of the 2012-14 diesels to needlessly be crushed. But if the company that designed, built, and marketed it have no interest in properly supporting it, then it quickly becomes a nuisance.

I was an outspoken champion of Volkswagen, and was one of their biggest fans. But this whole Dieselgate thing, which I don't entirely blame on them but more as an overall steaming turd of a draconian legislative nonsense that forced their chicanery in the first place, has soured me. It has not just soured me on Volkswagen, but soured me on the absurdity of the idiots fighting so hard to try and make a square peg fit in a round hole, when the round peg not only fits better, but generally works better and is more efficient in the first place. But hey, they'd rather us buy a bunch of pump-sucking square pegs and then try and force something unobtainably expensive and unrealistic on the consumer. It's just dumb. Dumb, dumb, all around dumb.

So, as an act of defiance, I will do my very best to keep the older TDIs on the road for as long as I can, and as many as I can.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
I wish I could say otherwise, but yeah it does seem that way. Sucks, because the NMS is a decent, albeit boring, sedan. Drives nice, roomy, has a nice conservative non-flashy understated styling that doesn't seem dated, and in the case of the TDI, an engine that can absolutely trounce the non-hybrid competition for fuel economy. Plus, they were offered with a proper manual gearbox to boot, even though Dieselgate caused a lot of the 2012-14 diesels to needlessly be crushed. But if the company that designed, built, and marketed it have no interest in properly supporting it, then it quickly becomes a nuisance.

I was an outspoken champion of Volkswagen, and was one of their biggest fans. But this whole Dieselgate thing, which I don't entirely blame on them but more as an overall steaming turd of a draconian legislative nonsense that forced their chicanery in the first place, has soured me. It has not just soured me on Volkswagen, but soured me on the absurdity of the idiots fighting so hard to try and make a square peg fit in a round hole, when the round peg not only fits better, but generally works better and is more efficient in the first place. But hey, they'd rather us buy a bunch of pump-sucking square pegs and then try and force something unobtainably expensive and unrealistic on the consumer. It's just dumb. Dumb, dumb, all around dumb.

So, as an act of defiance, I will do my very best to keep the older TDIs on the road for as long as I can, and as many as I can.
VERY WELL SAID!! I would not trade my '11 jetta premium for anything..Best car I ever had! My daughters '15 passat is doing pretty darn good.. Now my wifes '13 passat sel is very nice but That's another bad story!

Last edited:

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
My saga update....yesterday they called and determined that it needs a new computer which controls the Climatronic system which is why I have both heat and AC issues. And......wait for it.....IT'S ON WORLDWIDE BACKORDER WITH NO ETA!!!!

They are supposed to call me today after they get approval to roll me into an Enterprise loaner (again)... they want their '23 Taos back.
Is it possible your car was struck by lightning while it was waiting for the DPF?

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL

I still like my 13 passat, even with the issues it has. *I lucked out when my turbo failed this year*

People didn't realize when the car was Pre "Dieselgated" the performance was nice with the fuel economy. But the EPA ruins for all car manufacturers.

I still see old rigs spewing so much PM, that even if my car was deleted, it will still run cleaner. And last longer, not 150k miles for the "life of the vehicle".

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Apparently the "computer" that needs to be replaced is actually the BCM, which is why both the HVAC and door locks are acting wonky. Whether it was hit by lightning or just failed is open for discussion.

Good news is the warehouse in WI had one and it's being shipped to the dealer today. So....maybe I get it back late tomorrow or early next week?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Same could be said with the MK6, "MK7" and now the MQB based Jetta, primarily NA market only.

Sad to see the direction the mk8 went with interior bits.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
Dealer called this morning, cat/DPF just came in after ~4 months. Hopefully all will be fixed next week.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
My dealer called late Friday. Car is ready although I have to bring the second set of keys over so they can recode them as well. With a little luck I'll have it back end of day today.

Oh....and VWoA executive team called back as well, to discuss revisiting a potential buyback of the vehicle.