DPF Availability

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
dpf deleted hardware and software could prob be in your hands by early next week.

VolsFan70

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
My DPF has to be replaced after 400k on the engine. Right now the car is drivable but when I go uphill or get to around 75mph the engine starts to warm up to around 230-240 then cooling down once I let off the gas. I am running a DPF cleaner thru the fuel with little effect. I have spent the day with Google to find the Catalytic Converter is back ordered with no ETA. Does anyone know if that shortage is just for the US supply or is this a worldwide issue? TIA!

ProblemPassat

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Update this afternoon is VW expects to have "a small shipment" in October.
If this shipment is small, then many of us will still be waiting for a DPF after the small shipment has been allocated. My '14 Passat has been @ the dealership waiting for a DPF since 09-July. How long have some of you been waiting for a DPF? I'm wondering what my chances are of getting one from the small shipment.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My DPF has to be replaced after 400k on the engine. Right now the car is drivable but when I go uphill or get to around 75mph the engine starts to warm up to around 230-240 then cooling down once I let off the gas. I am running a DPF cleaner thru the fuel with little effect. I have spent the day with Google to find the Catalytic Converter is back ordered with no ETA. Does anyone know if that shortage is just for the US supply or is this a worldwide issue? TIA!
It might not just be a clogged DPF, but a clogged coolant system as well. How many heater cores have you gone through? also pretty good assumption you don't use heat much in FL?

The DPF has pressure sensors high and low side to indicate blockage and if it is it'll toss a CEL/glow plug.

VolsFan70

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
It might not just be a clogged DPF, but a clogged coolant system as well. How many heater cores have you gone through? also pretty good assumption you don't use heat much in FL?

The DPF has pressure sensors high and low side to indicate blockage and if it is it'll toss a CEL/glow plug.
The heater core has been the weak point of the car, but the only way I know it was the DPF is the check engine light code Indicating the DPF and Regen Frequency.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I've been waiting for a DPF since March 10. At one point I was number 9 in the country for one, but who knows? I would assume if a "small batch" was available, I'd be included. No word yet though.........

aaronjbeetle

TDI
2014 Beetle Manual
I’ve worked in dealership parts for the last 6 years (four with VW) and I can promise you that the dealership / VW wants to give your car back as much as you want it back.
I’m at Toyota now, and we’ve been on months and months of back orders on cat converters and I know how frustrating it is for our clients. I hope the backorder can clear up soon!

Aznukeman

TDI
2013 Passat
My turbo blew in the middle of June and put my Passat out until just last week because I was waiting on a DPF. (Also was being told October for a possible date). Just over 150k miles at the time of failure.

A school bus diesel mechanic I know turned me onto a company in Phoenix (local) that washes and bakes the DPFs for semi’s and other commercial applications. This is apparently a routine thing instead of having to replace the DPFs. Total cost… $185. Much better than the$850-1100 I was finding for the DPF retail price. Also took 36 hours not 36 weeks.

So far everything is running great with no issues. May be a viable solution for some of the issues people are having. Apparently a lot of radiator shops are the ones that have this capability.

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
Damn it... my DPF failed last night. Car has 200K miles on it, I replaced the DPF at 125k miles. May car is one of the few "un-fixed" ones out there as it was not included in dieselgate. I heard that there is a huge back order of DPFs over 1,000 of them on back order... Anyone know or heard of a shop that will re-core them, like mentioned in the post above? A muffler shop in Denver said someone local is doing it but they didn't know who. I found a shop to clean and bake them, but if the substrate is cracked they can't do much.

Last edited:

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
The DPF situation for me isn't that it needs to be cleaned, it's that the mounting bolts broke when they removed it to get to the turbo.

They have "bolted" it back together so that they could road test the turbo upon completion of the repair. However, VWoA will not warranty a "bolted back together" repair, and has mandated that the DPF be replaced.

They just approved another 20 days of rental....for the first time in my life I'm going to have to get the oil changed on a rental....at least Enterprise told me where to take it so they can direct bill......

ProblemPassat

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
The DPF situation for me isn't that it needs to be cleaned, it's that the mounting bolts broke when they removed it to get to the turbo.

They have "bolted" it back together so that they could road test the turbo upon completion of the repair. However, VWoA will not warranty a "bolted back together" repair, and has mandated that the DPF be replaced.

They just approved another 20 days of rental....for the first time in my life I'm going to have to get the oil changed on a rental....at least Enterprise told me where to take it so they can direct bill......
I think I am in the same boat. My turbo repair also turned into a DPF wait, but I wasn't told why. And I'm also in an Enterprise rental courtesy of VW--since 09-July.

Last edited:

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Bumped into a fellow yesterday driving a 2003 Jetta tdi, 919,000 km’s. These filters and adblue will keep will keep our Passats from reaching those numbers.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

Dealer called me earlier today and said the DPF had arrived and was in the process of being installed. About an hour after that, my Mojio woke up and started picking up activity on the car. It appears to have been test driven more than once today.

Service advisor said it's getting new tires, battery and wiper blades, and is scheduled for a detail on Monday. If all goes according to plan I should be able to pick it up on Tuesday. Fingers crossed............

aaronjbeetle

TDI
2014 Beetle Manual
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

Dealer called me earlier today and said the DPF had arrived and was in the process of being installed. About an hour after that, my Mojio woke up and started picking up activity on the car. It appears to have been test driven more than once today.

Service advisor said it's getting new tires, battery and wiper blades, and is scheduled for a detail on Monday. If all goes according to plan I should be able to pick it up on Tuesday. Fingers crossed............
Congrats! That will be great!

ProblemPassat

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

(y)Good for you! Perhaps the backlog is starting to resolve.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
U
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

Update - they are waiting on VW to approve the replacement of the tires, battery, brake pads and rotors and wiper blades. All were deemed compromised by the vehicle sitting. Hopefully tomorrow…..

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
that is good to hear... I towed my car from the shop Saturday as they have no eta on DPF's. Mine cracked at the weld at the pipe into the DPF. Going to take mine out and see if the substrate is compromised or not. if not, i will have it cleaned and welded. but I am guessing it is toast.

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
U

Update - they are waiting on VW to approve the replacement of the tires, battery, brake pads and rotors and wiper blades. All were deemed compromised by the vehicle sitting. Hopefully tomorrow…..
I’m guessing tires, battery, pads and rotors DENIED and that they want the wiper blades to be shipped to Germany for analysis.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
when we bought our 2015 as new old stock, all we got was tires and wiper blades, i had to fight them for a battery, glad i did that battery lasted us 5 years and just replaced it a month or so ago.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Actually the wipers and tires were approved first...the pads and rotors took an additional day but they too were approved. I had just put a battery in it the week before the turbo blew. The oil was changed as part of the turbo replacement, and the coolant was replaced earlier in the year when the heater core was done. So - I think we are pretty well set on the maintenance items.

Dealer just texted me that the detail shop is finishing up and it should be ready in the next couple of hours.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
fingers crossed they didn't rush the job and won't be back at the dealer for many more miles.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
So….went to pick up the car….they brought it up….looked beautiful. Got in and went to adjust the mirrors and the knob was missing. They immediately take it in the back and replace the mirror control assembly. Bring it back up, I jump in and go.

30 minutes into my drive home I went to put the drivers side window down. Nope. Ok….got to my destination and hit the door lock/unlock button. Nope.

Took it back Saturday morning and still have the loaner. Very limited service on Saturday so they will look at it first thing Monday.

On a brighter note, it ran really good for the one night and 70 miles or so I put on it.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Update time....

Dealer called me Monday to tell me that they replaced the front window motor and switch. Too late in the day for me to get there so I told them I'd pick it up Tuesday. Show up Tuesday morning...jump in the car....door locks lock when I put in drive, and then about 10 seconds later they attempt to lock again, and then 10 seconds after that. Back into service it goes....they find a bad door latch...replaced in 30 minutes....scan for codes...now find a bad door lock switch...another 30 minutes...finally fixed and no codes.

Drive it off the lot and it runs great....however....yesterday my daughter told me it has no heat (mornings in the 40s here already)....so...back to the dealer it will go and probably end up getting yet ANOTHER heater core.

I'm guessing the 7 month layoff for it is going to trigger a number of little issues like this as it's brought back into service.

Final total on the service - paid for by VW - $8300
Final total on the rental from Enterprise - paid for by VW - $9949

They should have bought it back from me....oh well.....

ProblemPassat

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Update time....

Dealer called me Monday to tell me that they replaced the front window motor and switch. Too late in the day for me to get there so I told them I'd pick it up Tuesday. Show up Tuesday morning...jump in the car....door locks lock when I put in drive, and then about 10 seconds later they attempt to lock again, and then 10 seconds after that. Back into service it goes....they find a bad door latch...replaced in 30 minutes....scan for codes...now find a bad door lock switch...another 30 minutes...finally fixed and no codes.

Drive it off the lot and it runs great....however....yesterday my daughter told me it has no heat (mornings in the 40s here already)....so...back to the dealer it will go and probably end up getting yet ANOTHER heater core.

I'm guessing the 7 month layoff for it is going to trigger a number of little issues like this as it's brought back into service.

No kidding on the buyback. Did you attempt to get VW to buy it back and they said no?

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta tdi (gone) 2013 Passat SEL TDI
Update time....

That's more than I paid for my used 2013 Passat two years ago. I'm sure the costs are inflated and become a write off for VW. Gotta get those dollars back somehow.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Back in July, when there was no update on DPF availability, I reached out to VW Cust Service. My case was sent to their escalation team and I had a lengthy conversation with a gentleman who actually suggested I start the buyback process. I compiled all the documentation and sent it in. They asked for additional documentation which I also sent in. 2 weeks later I got a letter saying I didn't qualify for any buyback provision.

Yesterday, I got a VM from the same agent on the escalation team to inform me that my dealer received the DPF last week and they should be contacting me anyday now to pick up the car. ??????

My next battle is to get the VW CPO extended for the 206 days the car was down. The service director is in my corner on this one and has promised to have a discussion with his field rep to see what can be done. This should be a no-brainer; the car was purchased in part because of the 2 year VW CPO warranty. I lost 7 months of available warranty coverage while the car sat. I don't think its unreasonable to ask VW to extend the CPO by the same number of days.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
They should extend it a full year for all the BS you had to deal with. That is what I'd press them for. The worst they can say is no which is what they seem to want to tell you anyway.